• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Coming in May: Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes! [UPDATED!]

So they just gave the title and showed the cover mock-ups; no specific info till Monday?

gyor

Legend
You can add that Eidilons and Moloch the devil are in the book, I got the info from the Dragon+ YouTube video interview with Mike Mearls.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I just preordered this from Amazon after receiving an email from them that it was available to order. There was a moment of hesitation then I thought to myself, "It's not like I'm not going to get it." and I hit the order button.

gyor

Legend
"Blood War, Githzerai vs Githyanki, elves vs drow, dwarves vs. duergar, other planar conflicts; also under dark vs planar conflicts such a Gith vs Mindflayers."

I haven't heard of any other Planar Conflicts aside from the Blood War, Gith/Mindflayer, Elf, Dwarf conflicts, where did you hear about other Planar Conflicts? It has me curious. I could see Elemental conflicts hypothetically.

Oh and you also forgot there will be a Chapter on Halflings/Gnomes!

That means that Dwarves, Tieflings, Elves (possibly Half Elves by extension), Halflings, Gnomes will b explored in the book, which means of the core book races only Dragonborn, Half Orcs, and Humans will not be in explored in this book.

I think Dragonborn will get their moment to shine when they do the Dragon version of this type of book (you know a Soandso's Book/Tome/Guide to Dragons/Dragonlike creatures is only a matter of time) and Half Orcs and Orcs got their moment in Volo's Guide to Monsters.

gyor

Legend
Given that we will be getting Monsters linked to all these conflicts (Fiends/the Blood War, Elves/Elven based Monsters, Dwarf/Duergar & Psionic Constructs, Gnomes/Clockwork Constructs, Gith/who knows what?), I'm wondering if we get some kind of monsters related to Halflings?

I did some research and originally Lepruachans and Brownies we're said to be a mix of Halfling and Pixie blood back the original MM.

And Jerran the evil Halfling race from the Book of Vile Darkness would make for an interesting monster.

Last edited by a moderator:

I haven't heard of any other Planar Conflicts aside from the Blood War, Gith/Mindflayer, Elf, Dwarf conflicts, where did you hear about other Planar Conflicts? It has me curious. I could see Elemental conflicts hypothetically.
From Planescape I remember there was the Djinn vs Efreet conflict, and another conflict between the various types of Mephits. But I think it was mostly opposed Elements against each other Fire vs Water and Earth vs Air.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
From Planescape I remember there was the Djinn vs Efreet conflict, and another conflict between the various types of Mephits. But I think it was mostly opposed Elements against each other Fire vs Water and Earth vs Air.
Also there were the elemental lords of evil who were opposed by the elemental lords of good which might be mentioned.

I wonder if the law vs chaos conflict will be mentioned along with the rod of 7 parts.

Herosmith14

First Post

From my, admittedly fairly limited, experience with DND, the big elemental hondlict is pretty much EVERYTHING vs efreet. The enslaved the azers, allied with the salamanders, at least in critical role they enslaved the fire giants, they have a lot of enemies with few allies, from my limited experience.

gyor

Legend
From my, admittedly fairly limited, experience with DND, the big elemental hondlict is pretty much EVERYTHING vs efreet. The enslaved the azers, allied with the salamanders, at least in critical role they enslaved the fire giants, they have a lot of enemies with few allies, from my limited experience.

Efreets do have many enemies, but its not the only conflict, Gargoyles launch attacks against the plane of Air.

Also there were the elemental lords of evil who were opposed by the elemental lords of good which might be mentioned.

I wonder if the law vs chaos conflict will be mentioned along with the rod of 7 parts.

Although I think the Blood War will be the main law vs. chaos conflict, I would be happy if they threw in some other L vs. C conflict as well (and some good vs. evil stuff beyond elves and dwarves while I am dreaming).

So, from the Dragon+ preview, we now know that we'll be seeing Geryon, maruts (and possibly the other inevitables), and the astral dreadnought covered in the book. Also, there will be setting-specific information on player races (dwarves in the Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, and Dragonlance were specifically mentioned).

Remove ads

Remove ads