Community Posts Open Letters To WotC About New OGL

Over the past week there have been several petitions and open letters posted regarding the upcoming Open Game License v1.1, asking Wizards of the Coast to reconsider its current path.

This Open Letter, posted under the social media hashtag #OpenDnD, has already been signed by over 4,000 people, including many small publishers. Behind it are Mike Holik (Mage Hand Press) and Noah Downs (an IP lawyer).

If this new license gains wide adoption, the tabletop industry will shrink to a fraction of its current size, shuttering the small businesses that populate your local cons and putting a stop to their creations. Innovation in the gaming industry will evaporate; your favorite games will be trapped in the past, instead of being allowed to migrate to your phone, virtual reality, and beyond. Diversity in the industry will shrink away, as projects from marginalized creators are effectively written out of the future.

Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 10.45.12 AM.png

This isn't the only such Open Letter -- there's another one authored by Jon Brazer Enterprises which has a number of signatories from various OGL publishers.

As small publishers and individual creators who create considerable content under the OGL 1.0a, we the undersigned call upon you to reverse course in regards to the leaked, alleged text of OGL 1.1. As the leader of the tabletop roleplaying game industry, your direction guides us all. We believe that this new version of the OGL will hurt both us and, by extension, you, and we ask that you hear our concerns.

There are also several petitions on change.org.

Last edited:

Art Waring

halozix.com
It should be a petition to drop it, and even then it doesn't matter. WotC has shown us what they think of the OGL and the Open Gaming ecosystem. Unless there is a major leadership change, we have to assume that is their agenda going forward, no matter what backpedaling they do in the immediate future.
I agree completely, that they are probably moving forward regardless, but I at least have to try something, rather than sit by and watch the scorched earth policy unfold.

dave2008

Legend
It should be a petition to drop it, and even then it doesn't matter. WotC has shown us what they think of the OGL and the Open Gaming ecosystem. Unless there is a major leadership change, we have to assume that is their agenda going forward, no matter what backpedaling they do in the immediate future.
Yes, that is why the only thing that will bring me back to WotC at this point, I think, is an update to the OGL that adds the words "irrevocable" or "non-revocable" or something equally air tight. This whole thing has left a very sour taste in my mouth.

dave2008

Legend
@Morrus, may I suggest putting this thread or at least this petition on the front page. This is to important to be buried in the general news IMO. Over 4000 people have signed, including quite a few 3PP.

1673257848951.png

Plokman

Explorer
Signed, sealed, deliver! I'm not a Hasbro!

The money crap is why I am abandoning all but a select toy companies and starting my own, A.C. Gilbert said it best "Magic and toys can often do more than surgery or pills for a sick child, it can bring them hope!" Dash Terrier Creations is going to start small, but when it is big no boot licking money wanting schemer will advise me to change a tack to more money cheaper product!

Only those who believe in the greatest phrase Einstein said "Imagination is more important than knowledge" will lead my board and only the ones I truly trust will get into my higher departments.

Damn it it is not the Pop Culture we have made but will make that is important! A bill of monetary value is worthless to the dead. But watching over all futures is worth everything to a man, woman or what you call yourself to see grow from that window in heaven.

Oh and I said certain franchises and companies above, Mattel will get not a penny from me on anything save Hot wheels and Matchbox toy cars until they cancel all engines go and bring back "Thomas and Friends!"

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases