D&D 5E Companion thread to "5E Survivor - Subclasses (Part VI: Fighters)"

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Sure there is: no potash.

/science.
Because a world completely lacking in potash is highly historical.

No more potassium fertilizers, and people don't burn broadleaf wood anymore. Very strange world, that. I do wonder how they get much done!

Probably would have been better to go after the sulfur. Raw elemental sulfur is much less vital to life and living than potash or nitrates. It's pretty common in Earth's crust but doesn't have to be.

Because a world completely lacking in potash is highly historical.

No more potassium fertilizers, and people don't burn broadleaf wood anymore. Very strange world, that. I do wonder how they get much done!

Probably would have been better to go after the sulfur. Raw elemental sulfur is much less vital to life and living than potash or nitrates. It's pretty common in Earth's crust but doesn't have to be.
Doesn't matter which element you go after. Doesn't have to exist in a fantasy world. Even local scarcity would be sufficient to explain the non-discovery of gunpowder.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
What if there wasn't a Battle Master? Like, what if all the Battle Master's maneuvers and bonus dice were baked in to the Fighter base class, instead of locked behind a subclass? It could be pretty interesting if the much-maligned Arcane Archer and Sharpshooter also had a handful of maneuvers...

I wouldn't be surprised if we see something along these lines in a OneD&D playtest.

Vaalingrade

Legend
What if there wasn't a Battle Master? Like, what if all the Battle Master's maneuvers and bonus dice were baked in to the Fighter base class, instead of locked behind a subclass? It could be pretty interesting if the much-maligned Arcane Archer and Sharpshooter also had a handful of maneuvers...

I wouldn't be surprised if we see something along these lines in a OneD&D playtest.
CleverNickName, between this and the competently designed eldritch Knight you envisioned, you should be working on the fighter.

Also, that's pretty much the playtest fighter.

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
Look, I have only a few historical FACTS that I rigidly enforce in my games, to make sure immersion isn't broken:
  • Mermaids are blue- or green-skinned. There are no black mermaids! Or white mermaids for that matter!
  • The flute exists, but the only person who can play it is James Madison, and since he's dead and doesn't exist in my setting, nobody else gets to play one.
  • Everybody speaks American English.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
CleverNickName, between this and the competently designed eldritch Knight you envisioned, you should be working on the fighter.

Also, that's pretty much the playtest fighter.
I admit, I'm not following the OneD&D playtests very closely. The only one I've even read was the "expert" one that dropped recently, and I kinda just skimmed it and made a few notes. Sounds like I should pay a little more attention?

But now that this idea is in my head I can't stop.

Hack Your Fighter
Want to take one of the Fighter subclasses for a spin, but worry about a lack of versatility? Here's a minor tweak that you can make to the Fighter class to make other subclasses more appealing. This is not, nor is it intended to be, a complete rebuild of the Fighter class; this is just a small adjustment you can make in your home game on an as-needed basis.
1. The Fighter class gains the Combat Superiority feature at 3rd level.

Done. What, you were expecting this to be complicated?

Well, I suppose that if you're still not satisfied, you could go a couple of steps further but that's a matter of preference:
2. The Fighter class gains the Improved Combat Superiority feature at 10th level.
3. The Fighter class gains the Relentless ability at 15th level.

That's about it. The Fighter gains superiority dice and maneuvers regardless of subclass, and the Battle Master becomes functionally obsolete because it is now part of the core Fighter class...but that's the way it should have always been from the start (in my opinion).

Last edited:

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)

That's the Variant Fighter I posted previously.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases