D&D 5E Companion thread to "5E Survivor - Subclasses (Part VI: Fighters)"

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Doesn't matter which element you go after. Doesn't have to exist in a fantasy world. Even local scarcity would be sufficient to explain the non-discovery of gunpowder.
I just think removing sulfur is quite a bit more sensible than removing potassium nitrate, aka one of the most important fertilizers known to man (a fertilizer we knew about long before we knew what "potassium" or "nitrate" were.) But the digression has probably gone long enough.

Same with 'realism', but only if you're a fighter.
Agreed. It's extremely frustrating. And, worth noting, the so-called "realism" applied to Fighters is almost always of the "expectations of a mildly-out-of-shape affluent American" variety, e.g. feats that would be perfectly achievable for an Olympic athlete are frequently considered totally impossible. Or stuff like Legolas and his archery skills; he's almost always held up as a "beyond-human" example, but literal actual archers IRL can reproduce his rapid-fire precision if they train for it. (We just don't tend to train for that kind of archery anymore, generally favoring either bull's-eye target shooting or "volley" shooting, as opposed to the more Mongol-horse-archer type that does rely on rapid-fire attacks on moving targets.)

-----

I'm glad that all the actually bad Fighters (looking at you, Champion and Banneret) got removed, but sad that it came down to Poorly-Made Maneuver Man and Actually A Caster, Just Not Very Good At It.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
I gave you citations.
Pfft. I could give them to you as well, but at this point I'm not replying to your posts ever again--there is absolutely NO point. I'm tired of butting heads with you over and over. I swear it is like you reply to my posts just to annoy me. You always have to be "right" and ignore other people's points--repeating your own ad nauseum.

Good-bye.

I allow them.
I've never met you. 🤷‍♂️

It is a well known fact that firearms appeared alongside iron golems and rings of three wishes.
Whatever. :rolleyes:

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
That's a pretty good variant. I like that you incorporated unique maneuvers into each subclass.

It could just be me but I was getting a weird formatting error on page 6. The right hand column was pushed almost completely off the screen but only on that page.
I did not make the subclass. That was /u/layhnet on Reddit, who I think is Steve Fidler. In any case, I've used it at my tables since he posted it several years ago. It fixes the few things that I didn't like about the fighter class, but it still plays the same.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Pfft. I could give them to you as well, but at this point I'm not replying to your posts ever again....

Mod Note:
It is entirely your right to disengage from someone who annoys you.

But making a public scene of that? Not constructive, and doesn't come across as particularly mature or thoughtful. Next time, try quietly clicking on "Ignore" and leave it at that.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
So @RoughCoronet0 in the main thread claimed that the battlemaster was the worst fighter subclass.

Now, that is a rather... bold... statement, but without explanation, it's nothing but "an opinion". I'm curious as to why you think it is the worst.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Usually in a Survivor thread, when someone says "the worst" they simply mean "the one I don't like." (Except bards, which everyone agrees are categorically the worst thing in D&D.) Smack-talking and exaggeration are supposed to be part of the fun.

I think the Battle Master is one of the most versatile Fighter classes, and it's one of my favorites. But objectively, most of its schtick is just rolling more dice, and I can see how some folks might want a little more than just "randomized bonus to X." So I prefer the Gunslinger or the Echo Knight over all others, but I can happily settle for Battle Master.

Last edited:

RoughCoronet0

Dragon Lover
So @RoughCoronet0 in the main thread claimed that the battlemaster was the worst fighter subclass.

Now, that is a rather... bold... statement, but without explanation, it's nothing but "an opinion". I'm curious as to why you think it is the worst.
It was 100% my opinion. I just don’t care for it at all as I find it boring and doesn’t evoke any desire to play or create a character using the subclass. I’d much rather play a Psi-Knight or a Gunslinger or a Rune Knight or an Echo Knight.

Grant it I’m also the one who’s least favorite class is Wizard as I also find all their subclasses except maybe the Bladesinger to just be so boring and uninspiring, I’d much rather play a Sorcerer or Warlock.

I have weird opinions, I know. 😉😆

Vaalingrade

Legend

I mean, it shouldn't be a subclass at all since it's the absolute least a fighter should be and still needs and hour's nap between lunges, so technically...

But no, in the current paradigm where somehow 'be a fighter' is a mutually exclusive option for fighter subclasses, it's the best around simply for the fact that it lets a fighter be a fighter.

Psi Knight got robbed though.

Psi Knight got robbed though.
I know very little about psionics but my time on this site has taught me that it is a contentious thing. Replace the Psi part of Psi Warrior and it would have done better. The mechanics are pretty good in a void but if you don't think they represent psionics well then how well they work won't matter.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases