D&D General Companion Thread to D&D Survivor: Dragons, Metallic

Aren't essentially all dragons "just better than you" with no tradeoff?
True. But some are better at putting this attitude in check than others. ;) Plus, when you have the ability to change your form into a non-dragon form, you learn to walk in some humanoid's shoes and see things from their point of view.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
True. But some are better at putting this attitude in check than others. ;) Plus, when you have the ability to change your form into a non-dragon form, you learn to walk in some humanoid's shoes and see things from their point of view.
I've never really seen anything that suggests gold dragons are rude to anyone else. Indeed, their 5e stats suggest they should be incredibly smooth, seeing as they have 24 Charisma and both Persuasion and Insight as skills (whopping +13 to the former!) and, if spoken to within their lair, can invoke prescience every round to have automatic advantage on essentially all checks.

To be clear, vote as you like. I'm just not really seeing the "gold dragons are especially manipulative and rude" thing. All dragons do that. Gold ones just favor giving advice, knowledge/training, and/or tools so that mortal-kind can save themselves.

By those lights, silver dragons can be seen as sort of parasitic and untrusting. They don't believe mortals can save themselves, so they have to go out and babysit us. Oh, sure, they enjoy spending time with the kiddos, you kind of have to if you're going to be in that line of work. But fighting their battles for them, deceiving them into thinking you are someone you aren't, hiding the good you could be doing so you can have more fun masquerading? Kind of shows a flippant and not very respectful attitude.

Or, if you want a TL;DR: two can play at the "reframe a positive thing in a negative light" game.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I've always viewed gold dragons as the sanctimonious and arrogant uber paladins(attitude, not abilities) of the dragon world, while silver dragons were the noble, caring type. That put silver ahead of gold for me since way back during 1e.

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
Cobalt is next on my list of dragon targets.
But.. how can you vote down such a good cat?
Lyon, Howarrd - Cobalt Dragon.jpeg

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
if you look at this survivor thread and all the past whatever I vote up you normally vote down
batman joker GIF

I checked this thread, and it is true, I have downvoted what you upvote. That's because, this thread, you consistently and always upvote the silver dragon, which has frequently been in the lead and therefore received my downvote. However, if you tally up our respective votes in this thread, this is what they look like:
  • JoeyD473: Gold -14, Silver +7
  • RealAlHazred: Adamantine +2, Brass +1, Cobalt -3*, Gold -4, Iron -3*, Orium +1, Silver -12, Mercury +4, Ahi, the Steel Dragon +2
*To show just how much "not a plan" guy I am, Cobalt and Iron are at -3 because in each case I downvoted them twice and upvoted them once. Because, and I cannot reiterate this enough:
batman joker GIF

dave2008

Legend
Tempting, but I genuinely don't like Golds and consider them pretty bad Dragon Sues, rarely depicted with any flaws in their frequent "wise mentor" roles. They're just better than you for no trade off.

Like less sexual versions of early Elminster.
May I introduce you to the gold dragon Valamaradace:
1697670668929.png

Remove ads