• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Complete Champion excerpts

el-remmen said:
Great! Limitless healing!

Now all we need are for a few more feats along these lines in order to remove all need to think ahead or deal with adversity! :p

Its not like wands of vigor or cure light wounds werent basically free for high level characters. 750 gp (or 375 GP if you craft em) for 50d8+50 hp is essentially that. In combat healing is the real issue at higher levels.

It wouldnt surprise me if there was some limitation (you cant heal a character above half their HP) or something.

Last edited:

Wik

First Post
Remathilis said:
Under the current system, the cleric either uses his CLW spells OR a wand, scroll or potion to patch up, or the PCs sit with 80-90% of their hp (and I will eat my hat if you know a PC who goes into the next room with less than 80% hp if healing is available).

Start eating your hat. Our last session, the warlock went into a fight with only 66% of his HP. And he got blasted by a lightning bolt that knocked him exactly to -10.

fafhrd

First Post
ehren37 said:
It wouldnt surprise me if there was some limitation (you cant heal a character above half their HP) or something.

I doubt there is such a limitation, but if there were, it'd be neat to see it affect the top half of your hp tank and work with rather than against the dragon shaman.

Last edited:

Blood Jester

First Post
Voadam said:
2 big reasons remain

Combat healing big amounts in one shot.

Combat punching undead with positive energy. (The paladin in our party killed a vampire in the Banewarrens this way).

Except, it was never "big amounts" proportionate to *any* other healing available in game.
Tenth level Paladin, who has an 18 Charisma = 40 points, and that is it for the day. (I also picked what seems like, roughly, a sweet spot for the LoH ability compared to the feat, when the ability starts to be competitive in a one-shot burst.)
The feat can do it's thing numerous times a day (and I can only hope it is at least a Standard Action, just like LoH).

Considering how unpopular Paladins seem to be (at least I see more hate for them in discussions than any other class), I am baffled as to why all of their abilities are constantly being cut down or overshadowed.

Cure disease - most people just ask the Cleric to do it (even if the Paladin ability is ready and available.

Smite (Evil) - Between Prestige Classes and now feats, others can get the same or a better version of this ability, and can use it more often.

Turn Undead - 3.5 lowered Paladin effective level

Fear Immunity - Many Prestige Classes now offer this

Immunity to disease - Available elsewhere (but much less so than other abilities) but also highly situational

Lay on hands - Many Prestige classes offer this or better, and now for the cost of a feat, you can make the Paladin ability a total joke in 99% of situations.

And these poor buggers face the strictest code of conduct in the game by far, and most DMs (seem to) feel that their number one job in regards to Paladin PCs is to force them up against their Alignment code as often and as hard as possible.

Yikes, it seems even the devs have Paladin hate.

Henry

Autoexreginated
For goodness' sake, just say that the characters regain all their spells, hit points, and abilities at the end of each encounter, and be done with it. All the pretense of limited resources is beginning to annoy me, now. :D

Wik

First Post
Blood Jester said:
Except, it was never "big amounts" proportionate to *any* other healing available in game.
Tenth level Paladin, who has an 18 Charisma = 40 points, and that is it for the day. (I also picked what seems like, roughly, a sweet spot for the LoH ability compared to the feat, when the ability starts to be competitive in a one-shot burst.)
The feat can do it's thing numerous times a day (and I can only hope it is at least a Standard Action, just like LoH).

Considering how unpopular Paladins seem to be (at least I see more hate for them in discussions than any other class), I am baffled as to why all of their abilities are constantly being cut down or overshadowed.

Cure disease - most people just ask the Cleric to do it (even if the Paladin ability is ready and available.

Smite (Evil) - Between Prestige Classes and now feats, others can get the same or a better version of this ability, and can use it more often.

Turn Undead - 3.5 lowered Paladin effective level

Fear Immunity - Many Prestige Classes now offer this

Immunity to disease - Available elsewhere (but much less so than other abilities) but also highly situational

Lay on hands - Many Prestige classes offer this or better, and now for the cost of a feat, you can make the Paladin ability a total joke in 99% of situations.

And these poor buggers face the strictest code of conduct in the game by far, and most DMs (seem to) feel that their number one job in regards to Paladin PCs is to force them up against their Alignment code as often and as hard as possible.

Yikes, it seems even the devs have Paladin hate.

Not in my group. People love the paladin - in a group without a cleric, he's the principle healer. He buffs himself pre-fight, and acts as a great secondary combatant (he's frontline, but he tends to go after the second-in-command while the rest of the group beats on Mr. Big)

RichGreen

Adventurer
Hi,

Have to see what the text says. In Skull & Bones (low magic system), characters heal their level times Con modifier + 1-4 (depending on HD) per minute. Basically, they start each fight at full strength.

Cheers

Richard

sniffles

First Post
Oh, dear. I see a feat one of my GMs isn't going to allow. He already hates that PCs can buy healing wands and get themselves back to full after most combats. (Don't ask why he doesn't make wands harder to find; I don't know.)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads