CONAN Is Finally Here!

After appearing three years running in the 10 Most Anticipated RPGs of the Year list, it seems that Conan's streak has come to and end - because Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of has been released! You can get it right now from Modiphius' web store, and will be able to get it elsewhere from tomorrow. PDF only, for the moment. You can also grab a book of six adventures, Jewelled Thrones of the Earth. Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed of is based on Modiphius' own 2d20 system (which also powers their upcoming Star Trek Adventures game). The book is now available for review in the reviews area.

After appearing three years running in the 10 Most Anticipated RPGs of the Year list, it seems that Conan's streak has come to and end - because Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed Of has been released! You can get it right now from Modiphius' web store, and will be able to get it elsewhere from tomorrow. PDF only, for the moment. You can also grab a book of six adventures, Jewelled Thrones of the Earth. Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed of is based on Modiphius' own 2d20 system (which also powers their upcoming Star Trek Adventures game). The book is now available for review in the reviews area.

5_conan.jpeg

JTotE-Cover-Mock-Up.jpeg

SaveSave

Water Bob

Adventurer
I believe that Meta-Gaming is bad and poor form and against what I consider pure roleplaying.

Quoting myself.

I should also say that, yes, there are all sorts of rules out there, and in the end, what we call RPGing is a game. There are games I like and games I don't. That doesn't mean that others are wrong if they like a game that I don't.

If you enjoy (universal "You") the 2d20 system, then, hey, knock yourself out.

I'll still be disappointed in Modiphius that they went with this game system, but I also recognize that some enjoy the hell out of it and are having fun with it.

thzero

First Post
I believe that Meta-Gaming is bad and poor form and against what I consider pure roleplaying.

Players in an AD&D game should operate on the knowledge that their characters have--not on the knowledge that the player may get outside of the game.

If a player sees a new monster and decides to have his character run from it, it is considered poor form indeed if the player then changes his mind after having a peek at the GM's notes to see that the HD on the creature is low and easily beaten--not at all what the character was thinking through the player's play before the meta-game information entered the situation.

The same goes for the DOOM pool. The number of DOOM points the GM has to use should be hidden from the players so that the players cannot make in-character decisions based on the DOOM Pool's total. But, it's impossible to hide the DOOM pool as the players generate the points via their actions. Any player paying attention will know the DOOM pool count.

Yes, well if the players aren't basing character designs on what they as players know vs what the character knows, then whether DOOM pool is visible or not is not an issue. :)

But it also works inversely. Sometimes players forget (usually because of delays between games) important points, etc. of in-game knowledge that the character would remember (unless they have low INT of course) because in-game time its been a lot less time. So having the DM/GM/et al prompt players by rolling something like an INT check, or just calling out 'hey, you character remembers X' is meta-gaming a bit. Yes, it is information that the character would have known, but still.

I see some of the mechanical items in 2d20, and this version of Conan, more along the lines of.... hey the character, based on who/what it is, would do X if only he had a Y. Mmms, what would happen if I had a Y? If I don't have a Y, then the character would resort to X. But some of the mechanics all the player to "influence" and have Y be part of the world, so hey now character might be able to do Y. At least this is the type of scenario that has come up in some less mechanical games I've played in once or twice.

Does it cross meta-gaming? I don't think so but its probably open to interpretation.

Skywalker

Adventurer
If you enjoy (universal "You") the 2d20 system, then, hey, knock yourself out.

Sounds like a plan. To that end, given that you have stated your own preference unequivocally and presumably have no further interest in this RPG, would it be a good idea to take a step back and allow those who enjoy the system to discuss the RPG on the thread that announces the RPG's release?

CapnZapp

Legend
The artwork is a mixture of scantily-clad muscle-bound barbarians and some fur-covered ones
Hopefully lots of beef- and cheesecake and very little 2016-era political correctness :)

Though I gather outright titillation will have to wait until the John Carter game (hopefully Moephidus <> Disney in - frankly - every possible regard)

I'm more interested in the adventure pack than 2d20 rules; if anyone has linked to reviews I will be sure to read them (still only reading this thread at page 2 out of 6 here...)

CapnZapp

Legend
Because the mechanics help and ENCOURAGES story-telling, and more enticing combat.
Please - let's not turn this into meta vs antimeta.

Just accept that some gamers will not touch meta with a stick; while others can't imagine playing without it.

Thx :)

CapnZapp

Legend
What I don't understand is why people won't give it a try just because of Doom points. It just seems like a knee-jerk reaction to me.

Please try for a session or two, then formulate your opinion. But I am seeing a ton of negativity in here when some haven't even read the book.
You don't have to understand it. You only have to accept it.

For some gamers (and they are not few) even the faintest presence of a metagame mechanic is enough to stay well clear of a game.

This is not the place to discuss this :)

Skywalker

Adventurer
I'm more interested in the adventure pack than 2d20 rules; if anyone has linked to reviews I will be sure to read them (still only reading this thread at page 2 out of 6 here...)

Take what I say with a grain of salt but I really liked it. Its not linked like Tales From Wilderland, but I found the quality to be close (which is pretty high) and more consistent. I would happily run all of the adventures it contains, and considered none to be a complete dud (unlike TfW's Don't Leave the Path).

There is a detailed Red Nails homage to start, which is excellent if obvious and should take 2-3 sessions. There is then a series of 6 one session adventures, one of which is the playtest adventure.

I personally liked Pact of Xiabalba and Ghost of Thunder River. They are both linear in nature but very evocative and well written for a one-shot. The book then finishes with a series of story seeds.

The book is as pretty as the corebook and has good cartography.

Skywalker

Adventurer
Hopefully lots of beef- and cheesecake and very little 2016-era political correctness :)

Actually, they seem to hit lots of beef and cheesecake and decent levels of 2016-era political correctness. The front cover is a great example of how to capture that essential element of Conan in a way that satisfies everyone IMO.

CapnZapp

Legend
Metagame mechanics are common. That's the opposite of controversial.

So I ask again: why is it controversial?

Sorry Morrus but now I need to speak up.

If your definition of "controversial" is equal to "uncommon", we're discussing different things.

Including a mechanic is controversial if it drives away a sizeable portion of your potential customer base. The controversy is generated by frustrated people say "I wanted to love Starwaffle game but then they added metagame aspects to the game; now I can't use the game I wanted to love; why couldn't they simply have made a metagame-less game of Starwaffle?!?".

Or rather; the real controversy is generated by people unaware of the divisive quality of metamechanics, or simply by people that don't care and just try telling people what to think.

Add one spoonful of internet, and you have a real spicy shitstorm.

Controversy.

Water Bob

Adventurer
Sounds like a plan. To that end, given that you have stated your own preference unequivocally and presumably have no further interest in this RPG, would it be a good idea to take a step back and allow those who enjoy the system to discuss the RPG on the thread that announces the RPG's release?

You presume wrongly. I saw the title of this thread, and it interested me. I love Conan. I'm interested to see if there's anything I may want from the Modiphius game that would enhance my Mongoose game. I'm interested to see what others dislike about the game. I'm also interested to see what people like in the game.

So, there's no reason to step back and ignore it. I'll keep following it, from a slight distance, if you don't mind.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads