D&D 5E Condition X Until the End of Y's Next Turn

KarinsDad

Adventurer
I had multiple different creatures in yesterday's game which had:

"Dazed until the end of the Monster's Next Turn"

The PC's also had some similar effects going off, so we had a lot of Daze markers out on the miniatures.

Was that monster #1 that dazed that particular PC, or monster #2, or monster #3?

Unlike effects that a save might get rid of at the end of the target's turn, or that end at the end of a target's turn or similar mechanics, these effects are a bit more difficult to keep track of.

This is important because Daze grants combat advantage. I don't want to be removing PC #1's daze condition early and PC #2's daze condition late, just because I forgot which monster dazed which PC (which can happen, especially with area effects that do this).

Does anyone have a good bookkeeping mechanism for this?

In these cases, should I have the player keep track of which monster hit their PC?

Use a color coded token/die or even the old cheap poker chips (red white and blue plastic circles.) if you use the poker chips you could call each color a specific effect (how many encounters have more than 3 effects being dished out by the monsters?) and put a little sticker or piece of tape on the top of the chip with the monster id if the chip is based upon end of turn and no id for ongoing. a pc with a blue chip with the number 3 and a red chip with no number has "daze" until end of monster 3's turn and ongoing 5 fire.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Use a color coded token/die or even the old cheap poker chips (red white and blue plastic circles.) if you use the poker chips you could call each color a specific effect (how many encounters have more than 3 effects being dished out by the monsters?) and put a little sticker or piece of tape on the top of the chip with the monster id if the chip is based upon end of turn and no id for ongoing. a pc with a blue chip with the number 3 and a red chip with no number has "daze" until end of monster 3's turn and ongoing 5 fire.

That won't quite work for us, but thanks for the suggestion.

We use the rings from the top of soda bottles for conditions and since the players are real familiar with the colors and their associated conditions, I do not want to change them. Adding numbers to the colored rings would have two issues: the rings are small, so reading the numbers from across the table could be difficult and searching for the ring with the appropriate number in our pile of rings could also be time consuming.

But you are correct. If there was a way I could quickly snap on a numbered paper clip or something to the ring, I could differentiate them. I'll have to put some thought into that.

Remove ads