• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Conjure Fey -- Super Disappointing

Boarstorm

First Post
Alas, poor Conjure Fey.

It allows you to conjure a fey creature (or beast) up to CR 6.

And the highest CR Fey we have in the MM is the Green Hag at CR 3 and the only CR 6 beast (Fey spirit, per the spell) is the Mammoth.

Seems a little disappointing to me. We need some Sidhe, stat!

Joe Liker

First Post
Conjuring numerous creatures of a lower CR can actually be more effective than a single powerful one.

That said, I agree that the MM could have used some higher-level specimens of several creature types. Not beasts, however. As normal animals, they probably shouldn't realistically get much scarier than a mammoth. (Isn't the T. Rex an 8, though?)

Boarstorm

First Post
Conjuring numerous creatures of a lower CR can actually be more effective than a single powerful one.

If that was an option, I'd agree. Sadly, it isn't, AFAIK.

That said, I agree that the MM could have used some higher-level specimens of several creature types. Not beasts, however. As normal animals, they probably shouldn't realistically get much scarier than a mammoth. (Isn't the T. Rex an 8, though?)

It is indeed, but the spell only allows up to CR 6. Unless you spend an 8th level slot, that is.

Alas, poor Conjure Fey.

It allows you to conjure a fey creature (or beast) up to CR 6.

And the highest CR Fey we have in the MM is the Green Hag at CR 3 and the only CR 6 beast (Fey spirit, per the spell) is the Mammoth.

Seems a little disappointing to me. We need some Sidhe, stat!

Mammoths are freaking scary. Green hags can be pretty powerful as well with Illusory Appearance. Remember, in 5E, everything stays powerful for much longer. Casting the spell for a Mammoth would be a major attribute for the party. Two mammoths on their own is a Medium encounter for four level 12 characters, and three is deadly.

MacMathan

Explorer
There is definitely room for more fey and beasts too. If you don't want to be a dinosaur druids begin to run out of beast forms at 9th level hopefully the dmg will have guidance on a dire templates or advancing monsters in CR.

Wrathamon

Adventurer
soon, very soon, I predict people will be posting about how Conjure Fey is broken because of all the powerful fey you can conjure ...

Dausuul

Legend
Mammoths are freaking scary. Green hags can be pretty powerful as well with Illusory Appearance. Remember, in 5E, everything stays powerful for much longer. Casting the spell for a Mammoth would be a major attribute for the party. Two mammoths on their own is a Medium encounter for four level 12 characters, and three is deadly.
Sure, but it would be nice to have something more fey-flavored than a freakin' mammoth. (Whose bright idea was it to make the unicorn a celestial?)

Here's hoping we get rules in the DMG for leveling-up monsters, either conventionally by adding Hit Dice, or by giving them class levels.

Currently the best-possible use of Conjure Fey is probably to generate candidates for Planar Binding. Imagine a strike team consisting of three invisible Green Hags (a coven) who launch Lightning Bolt x3 by surprise (or Hold Person V, Bestow Curse V, and Phantasmal Killer) while supplying Counterspell cover; meanwhile a fey Giant Ape begins chucking huge boulders and a fey Tyrannosaurus Rex charges the enemy, supported by the Moon Druid's own sixteen conjured wolves (via Conjure Animal V) and the Moon Druid himself in the form of an air elemental. A Dryad on the back lines supports the assault with Entangle spells and Fey Charm, plus Goodberry healing after combat. A 15th level druid could hold this team together for six months (180 days) for a cost of about 6100 gp plus whatever it costs to pay weregild for all the peasant children the Green Hags eat. (The T-Rex can be fed by Goodberry hopefully.)

Remove ads