• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Connor's Sorta Low CR Monster Thread- To be updated... eventually...

ConnorSB

First Post
Ok, I finally got around to posting this guy. I never wrote up a background, and I will do so in the next few days.

Koluxus, Half-Troll Gargoyle
Medium Monstrous Humanoid (Earth)
Hit Dice: 4d8+31 (49 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), fly 60 ft. (average)
Armor Class: 21 (+3 Dex, +8 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+6
Attack: Claw +11 melee (1d4+5)
Full Attack: 2 claws +11 melee (1d4+5) and bite +9 melee (1d6+2) and gore +9 melee (1d6+2)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Rend
Special Qualities: Damage reduction 10/magic, darkvision 60 ft., freeze, Fast healing 5, Scent
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +7, Will +4
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 16, Con 24, Int 4, Wis 11, Cha 5
Skills: Hide +8*, Listen +4, Spot +4
Feats: Multiattack, Toughness
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary, pair, or wing (5–16)
Challenge Rating: 6
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually chaotic evil
Advancement: 5–6 HD (Medium); 7–12 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: +9

Rend (Ex): If a half-troll gargoyle hits with both claw attacks against a single opponent, it latches onto the opponent’s body and tears the flesh. This attack automatically deals an additional 2d4 damage

Freeze (Ex): A gargoyle can hold itself so still it appears to be a statue. An observer must succeed on a DC 20 Spot check to notice the gargoyle is really alive.
Fast Healing (Ex): A half troll heals 5 points of damage each round so long as it has 1 HP or more. Fast healing does not restore HP lost from starvation, thirst, or suffocation, and it does not allow regrowth or reattatchment of body parts.
Scent (Ex): A half troll can detect approaching enemies, sniff out hidden foes, and track by sense of smell.

Skills: Gargoyles have a +2 racial bonus on Hide, Listen, and Spot checks. *The Hide bonus increases by +8 when a gargoyle is concealed against a background of stone.

Background forthcoming

Tactics forthcoming

Last edited:

ConnorSB

First Post
Yay! Another one! Also lacking background! But that will change!

Gummy, Gelatinous Bulette
Huge Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 9d10+74 (121 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), burrow 10 ft.
Armor Class: 18 (–2 size, +10 natural), touch 8, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+25
Attack: Bite +16 melee (2d8+8+ 1d8 acid)
Full Attack: Bite +16 melee (2d8+8+ 1d8 acid) and 2 claws +10 melee (2d6+4+ 1d8 acid) and slam +10 melee (2d6+4+ 1d8 acid)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Leap, Natural Acid
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., lowlight vision, scent, tremorsense 60 ft., Blindsight 60 ft., Resilient, Immunities
Saves: Fort +11, Ref +8, Will +6
Abilities: Str 27, Dex 11, Con 26, Int 1, Wis 9, Cha 2
Skills: Jump +18, Listen +7, Spot +1
Feats: Alertness, Iron Will, Track, Weapon Focus (bite)
Environment: Temperate hills
Organization: Solitary or pair
Challenge Rating: 9
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 10–16 HD (Huge); 17–27 HD (Gargantuan)
Level Adjustment: —

Leap (Ex): A bulette can jump into the air during combat. This allows it to make four claw attacks instead of two, each with a +15 attack bonus, but it cannot bite.

Resilient (Ex): Gummy has a less defined shape than a normal bulette. She is more difficult to critical hit, and therefore:
· Cannot be flanked;
· Takes 1d6 less damage from a successful sneak attack
· Takes 1/2 the additional damage dealt by a critical hit.
Immunities (Ex): Gummy is immune to polymorphing and stunning
Saving Throw Bonuses (Ex): Gummy gets a +4 racial bonus on saves against mind-affecting effects, poison, sleep, and paralysis

Skills: Because Gummy is translucent, she gains +4 to hide checks.

Background Forthcoming

Tactics Forthcoming

Last edited:

ConnorSB

First Post
So I'm about to run this adventure called "The Stink." It was in Dungeon... I think 93. Anyway, it basically involves on portion of a city, a slum that got so foul it was walled off and turned into a giant dumping grounds aptly named "The Stink." The adventure, unfortunatly, does not give much detail about the suface of the Stink, only the disgusting dungeon benieth it. So I made some stuff up. This is one of the NPCs the party will encounter in The Stink.

Oh, IMC the main city is full of kobolds, so that was the basis for this monster. Anyway, I wanted to have some sort of wererat in the stink, it being full of nasty rat critters. But I also wanted to include a lot of slimey things. So I invented a new kind of monster- the moon-slime monster. Its not exactly a template, more a set or random abilities.

But the idea behind it is that there is a substance called moon-slime that has magical properties based on the power of the moon's rays. It can travel by basically replacing a creature's blood and suffusing the creatures body with slime. So some rats got infected with it (i'll post those in a few hours), and then later a kobold did.

This is that kobold. Basically, he's gonna be a crazy cultist kinda guy who worships the moon, collects various junk from the Stink, and generally throws slime at things. Eventually he'll get some levels in druid or wizard, and have either Giant Slime Rat followers, or Moon Rat followers, or Giant Moon-Slime Rat followers. It'll be awsome.

OH, and his CR might be a little off. I'm not quite sure how powerful his abilities really are...

Lixos, Moon-Slime Kobold
Medium Humanoid
Hit Dice: 3d8+12 (27 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 22 (+5 Dex, +7 natural), touch 15, flat-footed 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+4
Attack: Bite +6 melee (1d6+4 + disease) or Longbow +7 ranged (1d8)
Full Attack: Bite +6 melee(1d6+4 + disease), 2 Claws +4 melee (1d4+2 + disease) or Longbow +7 ranged (1d8)
Special Attacks: Spit Slime
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., scent, Slime Armor, Low Light Prowess, The Moon is Calling, Damage Reduction 10/Silver
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +8, Will +3
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 20, Con 18, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 14
Skills: Climb +5, Hide +8, Listen +5, Move Silently +6, Spot +5
Feats: Iron Will, Weapon Focus (bite)
Environment: Sewers or Swamps
Organization: Solitary
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: --

Lixos, Moon-Slime Kobold in Full Moonlight
Medium Humanoid
Hit Dice: 3d8+12 (27 hp)
Initiative: +9
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 30 (+9 Dex, +11 natural), touch 19, flat-footed 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/+4
Attack: Bite +7 melee (1d6+4 + disease) or Longbow +11 ranged (1d8)
Full Attack: Bite +7 melee(1d6+4 + disease), 2 Claws +4 melee (1d4+2 + disease) or Longbow +11 ranged (1d8)
Special Attacks: Spit Slime
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., scent, Slime Armor, Low Light Prowess, The Moon is Calling, Damage Reduction 10/Silver
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +12, Will +5
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 28, Con 18, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 14
Skills: Climb +5, Hide +4, Listen +5, Move Silently +6, Spot +5
Feats: Iron Will, Weapon Focus (bite)
Environment: Sewers and Swamps
Organization: Solitary
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: --

Disease (Ex): Filth fever—bite or spit slime, Fortitude DC 15, incubation period 1d3 days, damage 1d3 Dex and 1d3 Con.

Spit Slime (Ex): The Moon-Slime Kobold gains the ability to spit slime in a 5’ line, to a range of 20’ per HD (60ft in this case). This attack requires all caught within to make a Fort save, DC 15 (10 + HD + ½ Con Modifier). If it fails, the victim takes 2d6 acid and 1d4 constitution damage. Success indicates that the victim suffers half the acid damage and none of the constitution damage. A Giant Slime Rat must wait 1d6 rounds before spitting bile again.

Slime Armor (Ex): The Moon-Slime Kobold secretes a viscous slime over its body. The slime is a translucent green, and it boosts the Moon-Slime Kobold’s natural armor bonus by +4.

Low Light Prowess (Ex): In circumstances of low light, The Moon-Slime Kobold can see four times as far as a human. He also gains a +1 bonus to attacks, damage, and AC, as low light conditions are his natural habitat and he is attuned to combat within them.

The Moon Beckons (Su): During a full moon, the slime within the Moon-Slime Kobold’s body becomes more viscous, and its blood less so, but powered by the moons rays. The following effects occur:
· The Moon-Slime Kobold’s blood becomes full of power, and so its body glows green, lighting the area around it like a torch and providing a –8 penalty to hide checks.
· The Moon-Slime Kobold’s skin grows more rat like, growing fine fur over its body and whiskers on its snout.
· The Moon-Slime Kobold’s slime armor hardens further, adding an additional +4 bonus to natural armor.
· The Moon-Slime Kobold benefits from a +8 circumstance bonus to dexterity as his the slime within him becomes loose and free flowing
· The Moon-Slime Kobold’s Spit Slime attack becomes more powerful, inflicting an extra 1d8 acid damage and another 1d4 constitution damage. The DC also rises by 2.
· Unfortunately, the moon has one detrimental effect on the Moon-Slime Kobold: its now-free flowing blood runs easily from its body. During the two rounds immediately following an injury to the Moon-Slime Kobold, it loses 1 hp per wound, at the start of its turn. Each attack is treated as a separate wound, so if it is hit three times in one round, it looses 3 hp each round for the next two rounds.

Skills: Moon-Slime Kobolds have a +4 racial bonus on Move Silently checks.

Background Forthcoming

Tactics Forthcoming

Last edited:

Allanon

Explorer
Whoa, nice thread :D. This goes well together with blackdirge's monster creations. I don't know if you do requests but I'm currently planning a Planescape Campaign and I need something wicked and demented enough to be considered a dream nightmare hunter. Something that lives and hunts in the deepest reaches of the plane of dreams and prays on the unwary dreamer unfortunate enough to dream within it's reach. I'm gratefull for any ideas or input you could provide. And for the rest keep up the great monsters, they're superb for showing the twists and turns of the many, many, many planes of existence ;)

ConnorSB

First Post
I take requests if they seem interesting or fun to me. Yours is both.

Hmmm..... Ok, I think I got something in mind...

EDIT: What CR do you want it?

EDIT AGAIN: Ok... My idea so far is a Three-Headed Tauric Nothic-Brown Bear. Imagine a big bear, only replace its head with the misshapen torso of some sort of weird underground freaky thing, and give that torso three heads-on-tentacles, each of which is composed largly of a giant eye. An eye whose gaze literally rots your flesh.

Oh, and his arms are huge, clawed, and ready to snatch.

And when they grab you, they pull you in towards the thing's humanoid torso, which has a big mouth running vertically and chomps on you for extra damage...

Lets see... that would work out to be about... CR 9ish? Dropping the number of heads to two drops the CR to 7ish. Just give me a number and I'll start immediatly...

Last edited:

ConnorSB

First Post
Here you go! I had to fudge the numbers a little bit, as the Tauric Template works out a bit weirdly when applied to things that are humanoid in form, but not actually, ruleswise, humanoids. Gar.

I think the CR might be a little off, and I'm not sure I did the claw attacks correctly. Stupid multiple natural attacks and multiple attacks per weapon...

Oh, the Dreamtouched part of his name isn't actually a template, its just a descriptor I added because I gave him the two dream-esque abilities Dreamform and Sudden Stretch.

If the CR is too high, adjusting is easy. Drop 2 hit dice, eliminate the second gaze attack, lower his constitution by 2 and his attacks all by 2 and that drops it down to CR 7.

The Dreamiss- Dreamtouched Two Headed Tauric Nothic-Brown Bear
Large Aberration
Hit Dice: 13d8+65 (123 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), Fly 80ft (perfect in dreamscape)
Armor Class: 15 (–1 size, +1 Dex, +5 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+4 // +21/+16
Attack: 2 Claws +16 melee (1d8+8)
Full Attack: 2 claws +16/+11 melee (1d8+8) and bite +11 melee (2d6+4)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Feeding the Maw, Flesh Rotting Gaze, Sudden Stretch
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent, Darkvision 120 ft, See invisibility, Dreamform
Saves: Fort +13, Ref +6, Will +11
Abilities: Str 27, Dex 13, Con 21, Int 9, Wis 13, Cha 8
Skills: Hide +16 (16)
Feats: Power Attack, Cleave , Skill Focus (Hide)
Environment: Dreamscape
Organization: Solitary or pair
Challenge Rating: 9
Advancement: 7–10 HD (Large)

Feeding the Maw (Ex): To use this ability, the Dreamiss must hit with both claw attacks. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity and with an additional +6 bonus. If it successfully starts the grapple, every round it maintains the grapple it automatically deals damage from both claws and its bite as the victim is drawn towards the giant bear-maw placed vertically on the Dreamiss’ humanoid torso. Creatures caught in this attack can still fall prey to the Dreamiss’ flesh rotting gaze.

Flesh Rotting Gaze (Su): The Dreamiss’ stares rot the flesh, each dealing 1d6 damage with a range of 30ft. Will save DC 19 negates. This is a free action every round. Because the THING has two heads, it makes two such attacks every round, but it does not necessarily have to choose the same target. However, if it does choose a single target, that target must make two saving throws, as each head’s gaze is completely separate (passing one save does not negate both attacks’ damage, nor does failing one save cause both attacks to do damage).

Sudden Stretch (Su): Once every 2d4 minutes, the Dreamiss can stretch its arms unnaturally, morphing the dreams around it to literally add new flesh to its limbs. This is a free action, and grants the Dreamiss a 15’ reach with its claw attacks for 5 rounds. The number of rounds it can stretch is equal to its constitution modifier.

See Invisibility (Ex): The Dreamiss can see invisible creatures up to 60 ft away.

Dreamform (Su): The Dreamiss can cloak itself in the stuff of dreams as a move equivalent action that provokes an attack of opportunity. When it does so, it gains DR 10/+2 and a +10 bonus to hide in the dreamscape. It can remain in dreamform for up to 20 rounds per day.

Skills: The Dreamiss’ has a +4 racial bonus on Swim checks and a +6 racial bonus to Spot checks, as well as a +2 racial bonus on listen and search.

Only from the darkest nightmares of the most depraved minds could something like the Dreamiss emerge. Early in Dream’s creation, a particularly sick individual, probably in the throws of madness and grief, drempt the Dreamiss into creation.

Somehow, it managed to tear its way through the person’s dream, utterly destroying his dreamscape and probably killing him. But it got out, and whether through luck or brute force managed to survive the ravages of the deep Dream.

Eventually it grew accustomed to the realm of dreams, attuning its form to the slippery bubbles of dreamscape that constantly floated past it. It grew strong, it grew fast, and it started to hunt.

And the dreamers started to die…

Combat:

The Dreamiss will typically start combat hidden with its Dreamform ability. It will attempt to surprise its prey, grappling them and returning to dreamform before the rest of its victims know what happened. If it can, it uses both its Sudden Stretch and Feeding the Maw abilities to thier utmost potential.

Last edited:

ConnorSB

First Post
Ok, here's a companion for Lixos, a Giant Slime Rat! It to is slime infused, but not affected by the moon, just really really gross. Oh, and how I made it: Its a regular dire rat to which I applied the Jester's Bile Monster template (http://www.enworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=23482), changing the names of the abilities and reworking the damage a bit...

Giant Slime Rat

Small Animal
Hit Dice: 1d8+3 (7 hp)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares), climb 20 ft.
Armor Class: 19 (+1 size, +3 Dex, +5 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +2/-2
Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d4+2 plus disease)
Full Attack: Bite +4 melee (1d4+2 plus disease)
Special Attacks: Disease, Spit Slime
Special Qualities: Low-Light Vision, Scent, Slimy Form, Immunities
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +5, Will +3
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 17, Con 16, Int 1, Wis 12, Cha 4
Skills: Climb +11, Hide +8, Listen +4, Move Silently +4, Spot +4, Swim +11
Feats: Alertness, Weapon FinesseB
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary or pack (11–20)
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 2–3 HD (Small); 4–6 HD (Medium)

Disease (Ex): Filth fever—bite or spit slime, Fortitude DC 11, incubation period 1d3 days, damage 1d3 Dex and 1d3 Con. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Spit Slime (Ex): The Giant Slime Rat gains the ability to spit slime in a 5’ line, to a range of 60’. This attack requires all caught within to make a Fort save, DC 13. If it fails, the victim takes 2d6 acid and 1d4 constitution damage. Success indicates that the victim suffers half the acid damage and none of the constitution damage. A Giant Slime Rat must wait 1d6 rounds before spitting bile again.

Slimy Form(Ex): Because its blood is replaced with nonconductive slime, the Giant Slime Rat is immune to effects based on pain. If it falls subject to any enchantment effect or morale penalty, it automatically shakes off the effect in only 1d4 rounds.

Immunities (Ex): A Giant Slime Rat is immune to acid or poison damage

Skills: Giant Slime Rats have a +8 racial bonus on Swim checks. Giant Slime Rats have a +8 racial bonus on Climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened. Giant Slime Rats use their Dexterity modifier for Climb and Swim checks.

Giant Slime Rats, or GSRs are omnivorous scavengers, but will attack to defend their nests and territories. Their blood is made of disease-ridden slime. A Giant Slime Rat can grow to be up to 4 feet long and weigh over 50 pounds.

Combat
Giant Slime Rat packs attack fearlessly, biting and chewing with their sharp incisors, but typically open a fight with a salvo of slime.

Last edited:

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
Hmmm. This is a great thread and I don't know if this isn't a part of the template but it seems to me that gelatinous creatures would be less hard. In that case, +10 natural armor might not be appropriate. . . .

ConnorSB said:
Yay! Another one! Also lacking background! But that will change!

Gummy, Gelatinous Bulette
Huge Magical Beast
Armor Class: 18 (–2 size, +10 natural), touch 8, flat-footed 18

Golem2176

Banned
Banned
ConnorSB said:
I take requests if they seem interesting or fun to me.

Here's a request: An awakened Half-Red Dragon Tyrannosaurus Rex, named Traxus. Throw in about 6 levels of fighter and about 4 levels of cleric.

ConnorSB

First Post
Elder-Basilisk: The template calls for a -2 to Natural Armor. Normal bulettes have Nat Armor +12. Thus, +10. Yah, it seems kinda whacky, but how else are you going to keep the thing's AC up? Dexterity? "The Jello bounces away from your sword, twisting its gelatinous form like a translucent, sugary dancer." Arg, stupid template.

From what I can tell of the template, it actually aims not at creating "gelatinous cubes shaped like things", but rather monsters that share some of a gelatinous cube's properties, but not all of them (Notice that Gummy lacks an engulf attack).

Golem2176: Ohh.. nice one. I kinda try to stick to low CR monsters (high cr stuff is more up Blackdirge's ally, but... I'll see what I can cook up. Oh, and do you mind if I turn it into some sort of crazy combat machine of terrible death? And do you want it to have the normal gear for its NPC CR?

Actually, could you give me a description of how it will be used. Like, is it a guard at an ancient temple, or some sort of cult-summoned baddie, a villains super-evil minion, or what? And what god does it worship (IE, what domains?)

Cause it could be just a badass T-Rex. Or it could be... more.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads