D&D 5E Conversion to the metric system - how do YOU do it?

Skyscraper

Explorer
For distance a rough estimate of 3 feet to a yard and 1 yard=1 meter should suffice (1 mile equals roughly 1.6 kilometers).

For weights I'd use google to convert pounds to kilograms (though that's roughly 1 pound = .45 kilograms).

Uh... liters are 1 gallon to 3.8 liters.

You forgot about BTUs. You know, for fireballs and stuff.

Mercule

Adventurer
Dungeons actually work out to much more reasonable sizes with 1m wide hallways rather then 5ft.

I also have an imperial to metric cheat sheet on my DM screen.
So, do you actually use 1 square == 1 m? Does that apply to using published adventures as well as home brew? Do you change movement rates such that humans move 10 squares instead of 6? How about the number of squares a fireball takes up?

Serious questions. I was raised on imperial, but think it would be interesting to used tight dungeons, especially for, say a kobold warren.

So, do you actually use 1 square == 1 m? Does that apply to using published adventures as well as home brew? Do you change movement rates such that humans move 10 squares instead of 6? How about the number of squares a fireball takes up?

Serious questions. I was raised on imperial, but think it would be interesting to used tight dungeons, especially for, say a kobold warren.

Hallways in a house tend to be much closer to 1m than the 1.5m 5 feet is. So 1m hallways are not very tight. A kobold warren could be smaller still. Half a meter easily.

I've gone metric a few times, but found it tricky in 5e, which goes back to feet in describing all its spells and ranges. 4e was actually slightly easier as "square" was easier to rename (but was weird in descriptive text).
I'm pretty good and figuring out the number of squares per 5ft measurements. But every now and then my brain hiccups and it slows down play more than I'd like.

Generally, I handwave things a bit more. When describing scenes, rather than 5 feet or 1 meter I like to use "pace", which sounds pseudo medieval and gives me some wiggle room for maps and such.

Remove ads