D&D 5E Conversion to the metric system - how do YOU do it?

Hey guys! I'm really looking forward to trying out D&D 5e as soon as it's available here in Sweden. One thing that nags me a bit is the use of non-metrics in the system, since I've only DMed swedish games before that always use SI-units.

So... how do you convert D&D to the metric system? Some rough estimates that can be applied? Ways to think about distances and weights? I want to be able to run it TOTM-style, but have a hard time thinking in feet and lbs, especially on the fly.

5ft roughly equals 1.5 meters. That's the easiest conversion.

If using a grid, it's tempting to make 1 square = 1 meter, which makes houses and dungeons less ridiculous in size.

Klaus

First Post
In many ways 3ft=1m is a better scaling (and I like calling it a pace).

It fits better with oversized minis that have become the norm. Its probably a more natural scaling for melee distances. It gives you more space in cramped interiors, including old school modules, where instead of say a (then 10 foot) square is 2*2 you say it is 3*3, which can makes those a lot more interesting. Things like movement, given the very short round, probably feel more natural...

There are probably some others.

A while back I posted that idea. 3 feet = 1 yard = 1 meter = 1 square = 1 "pace". Human speed becomes 10 paces, regular darkvision becomes 20 paces, etc.

Wolfskin

Explorer
This is what I use:
  • 5 feet - 1.5 meters
  • 1 mile - 1.5 kilometers
  • 1 pound - 0.5 kilograms
  • 1 gallon - 4 liters

It's not really accurate, but its easier for me to measure things in the fly using these numbers.

Guennarr

First Post
The German translation of both D&D and Pathfinder always use the approximation of 5 feet = 1.5 m.

That's as official as possible. ;)

Yora

Legend
3 feet are a meter. Close enough, but only really works when you don't play on a grid, or things get wonky.

Guennarr

First Post
Yep, for that reason tactical map scale is 5 ft. = 1.5 m.

On the other hand travelling distances are usually converted according to real world conversion factors.

Remove ads