• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting "generic setting" second edition monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
well, mindmerged doesn't work since with the template the only mind present is the vagabond's itself (i.e., the host body would be mindless without the possessing spirit). neither would bonded work so well, since both bonded and mindmerged better describe the vagabond using with a living host (i.e., becoming the backseat driver).

think of the templated version as a living zombie with an alien intelligence controlling it.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I don't know if I'd go that far, but I suppose it works. :eek:

Some more thoughts...

"A vagabond is neutral in alignment until it takes on another form.."

I'd lose that bit...it is always neutral, its host just might not be.

", which it accomplishes in one of three ways. The first way is to form a corporeal body from (nothing? Air? Matter?),"

How about ectoplasm, since it figures prominently in psionics?

"starting as a small inky blob on the ground that quickly enlarges into three dimensions, fills out, and forms finer details. The second method is to find a fresh corpse, which the vagabond enters and controls, restoring the body to full health. Lastly, a vagabond can inhabit a willing living creature. Regardless, the form chosen must have an Intelligence score, and once a vagabond chooses its form it is locked into that form and cannot leave (except through the use of psionics). The vagabond gains all the abilities of the form it has chosen (except Su and Sp?),"

Yeah, it probably shouldn't gain Su and Sp.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Shade said:
I'd lose that bit...it is always neutral, its host just might not be.

I'm not sure at all why I wrote that! It should be Often Neutral, since the 1E & 2E stat blocks say "Neutral (any)" and the text on both suggest that there are good and evil ones.

updating in homebrews...

Shade

Monster Junkie
You can probably eliminate all the lines in the template that just state "Same as base creature" as this seems to be the default now.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Not at the moment. This one has been so different all along though, one might be staring me straight in the face and I'd miss it. :heh:

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
OK, I don't see many issues. The main stat block has a few missing items.

We will need a sample creature to test out the template on.

There is also this: "It an entire adventure is completed, the creature will give a special gift to each party member before departing. It can enchant any gem with a variety of word of recall (3 uses per enchantment) and will enchant 1 gem per character accompanying it on the adventure by way of thanks. (Only the possessor will know the 1-segment phrase needed to activate the gem)."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads