Converting monsters from First Edition modules

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
it looks done other than filling in the various values for the vitrioliquid. i'll take a look at my DMG for inspiration when i'm at home.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Forgot to take the time to look at the DMG for inspiration for the vitrioliquid. The values we need to fill in are:

Damage dealt to objects

# rounds the caster can control vitrioli (I’ll say… 2d4? Really only need enough time to say “go this way and attack”)

DC for saving throw for idiots drinking it (good ol’ 15 or should it be higher?)

Con damage for drinking it (maybe 2d4 like the acid damage from explode? Damage on successful save would be half)

Caster level to create

Ranks in Craft and Knowlegde

Price for a vial

suggestions? :)

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
Damage dealt to objects
10 acid?

BOZ said:
# rounds the caster can control vitrioli (I’ll say… 2d4? Really only need enough time to say “go this way and attack”)
How about whatever caster level we pick for the liquid?

BOZ said:
DC for saving throw for idiots drinking it (good ol’ 15 or should it be higher?)
15 should suffice. That puts it in the middle of the ingested poisons DC range.

BOZ said:
Con damage for drinking it (maybe 2d4 like the acid damage from explode? Damage on successful save would be half)
2d4 sounds good. If its like poizin, it should negate, but still require the secondary save.

BOZ said:
Caster level to create
The highest spell level in the prereqs is 6, so 11th-level would be the minimum. Shall we go with 11? [That would make the duration I suggested be 11 rounds].

BOZ said:
Ranks in Craft and Knowledge
10?

BOZ said:
Price for a vial
Single use, use-activated: 6 (Spell level) x 11 (caster level) x 50 gp = 3,300 gp. We could raise it a bit since it can be more than single use.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
I’ll go with most of that. For duration of control, I’ll say actual caster level instead of minimum caster level. So a Wiz 15 could control these things for 15 rounds. Capice?

For the “poison” damage… well, it is like poizin, but it is not actually a poison. If we go 2d4 damage on a failed Fort save, you’re still pouring an acidic substance down your throat so you take half damage.

Shade

Monster Junkie
BOZ said:
I’ll go with most of that. For duration of control, I’ll say actual caster level instead of minimum caster level. So a Wiz 15 could control these things for 15 rounds. Capice?
Capice. :cool:

BOZ said:
For the “poison” damage… well, it is like poizin, but it is not actually a poison. If we go 2d4 damage on a failed Fort save, you’re still pouring an acidic substance down your throat so you take half damage.
OK, I see where you're coming from now. The "Damage on successful save would be half" part was what I had concerns with (thinking you meant half the Con damage).

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Hey pison!

Hmm, just to set it straight… were we going to do Con damage or just straight up acid damage if you swallow it?

If Con damage, I support 2d4 with 1d4 on successful save.

If acid damage, I support a more deadly effect, like 2d6 or 2d8, and half that on a successful save.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Yowza! I figured we were doing acid damage on a sip, Con damage if swallowed and a failed Fort save, and acid damage if swallowed and a successful save. :confused:

Shade

Monster Junkie
*applies smelling salts*

Perhaps this helps visualize what I was thinking:

"A sip of vitrioliquid deals 1d6 points of acid damage to the foolish imbiber; drinking more than a sip is extremely dangerous. Vitriolus is highly poisonous, and aside from the acid damage, the creature must succeed on a DC 15 Fortitude save or suffer 2d4 Con damage as initial and secondary damage. Even if the save is successful, the creature will still suffer 2d8 points of acid damage. This effect supercedes and negates the usual effects of the liquid; no creatures are summoned, and the liquid does not eat its way out of the victim. "

However, if it relieves the pressure, either method works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads