Converting monsters from Imagine Magazine

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
1d6+Str damage on the snowballs, lethal or nonlethal? Should we bump Dex a little to get him a bit better at tossing? Or give him a racial bonus like halflings?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Wikipedia just changed my whole outlook on Frosty!

Wikipedia said:
In 1972, Walter Rollins admitted in an interview with Life magazine that initially the concept of Frosty the Snowman was written as a cautionary tale pertaining to the scare of "nuclear winter" and initially it was said that nuclear fallout mixed with the snow and children's dreams of a world without war were what brought Frosty to life, but the publishers and Gene Autry thought that the song would have more commercial value as a children's Christmas song.

Anyway...

Snowballs (Su): As a free action, Frosty can create a snowball in his hand. He may hurl these snowballs as thrown weapons with a range increment of x feet and a maximum range of x feet. Snowballs deal x points of damage. Frosty may change the consistency of these snowballs to deal either lethal or nonlethal damage, with no penalty.

Frosty's Broom: Frosty's broom functions as a wand of fireballs with 50 charges, except the fire damage is substituted with cold damage. When used by Frosty, the broom does not expend any charges.

Frosty's Hat: Frosty's hat is a minor artifact that grants a +x deflection bonus to AC. Frosty cannot be permanently destroyed as long as the hat exists (see rejuvenation, below).

Frosty's Scarf: Frosty's scarf functions as a rope of entanglement, except if destroyed, it is restored to full hit points 24 hours later.

Rejuvenation (Su): Frosty cannot be slain through simple combat. If reduced to 0 hit points, Frosty melts into a puddle of nonmagical water. If Frosty's hat is placed upon any mundane snowman, it immediately transforms into Frosty.

freyar

I guess the broom and scarf are independent of Frosty, meaning someone else can use them? And so Frosty would have to go find the originals if he's killed, his stuff is stolen, and then he's rejuvenated. Is that the idea?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Range of 50 feet, with a range increment of 10 feet for the snowballs. Since they're thrown weapons, Quick Draw would make sense for one of his feat choices.

freyar

He can already "draw" snowballs as a free action. Let's give him other ranged feats, though. Ranges sound good.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Oh, I missed that "draw as a free action" bit. Point Blank Shot and Rapid Shot?

I think that his Dex should be higher for the snow-throwing, and like the suggestion for a halfling-style racial bonus to thrown weapons.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I guess the broom and scarf are independent of Frosty, meaning someone else can use them? And so Frosty would have to go find the originals if he's killed, his stuff is stolen, and then he's rejuvenated. Is that the idea?

Do you think it should work that way, or that only the hat remains?

Boost Dex to 15?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
I think the broom and scarf should be emergent properties of Frosty. Any broom he touches becomes a wand of fireballs, any scarf a rope of entanglement. He can only have one at a time though, of course.

freyar

In that case, let's take away the bit about the charges and the scarf regeneration and put in the usual caveat that they become a normal broom and scarf if he's not holding them. We'll have to think if he has other treasure.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I think the broom and scarf should be emergent properties of Frosty. Any broom he touches becomes a wand of fireballs, any scarf a rope of entanglement. He can only have one at a time though, of course.

Sounds good. I'll make the necessary revisons.

Dex 15 work for you?

Remove ads