Converting Oriental Adventures creatures

Cleon

Legend
Ok, so how about 1d4 damage, 2lb, bludgeoning, simple weapon? If we want to keep the cost at 5 sp, we could say that it can pass as a non-weapon. How's that?

Works for me. I'm wondering whether we should make it a minor magic item. How's this:

Kiseru: The paper warrior has a +1 kiseru made of iron that is painted to look like wood.

Simple Weapon—Melee
Light Melee Weapon

CostDmgCriticalRangeWeightDamage Type
Kiseru*5 sp1d4×22 lb.Bludgeoning

Kiseru: A kiseru is a tobacco pipe about as long as its wielder's forearm. They are normally made of wood with metal ends, but some kiseru are made entirely of metal. While kiseru appear to be harmless smoker's pipes they are actually solid enough to be used as clubbing weapons.

Then we have

So... touch attack that causes the effects of a confusion spell for 6 rounds? Maybe 2d6 or 1d12 rounds would be acceptable as a random value with a similar average.

Using confusion is the obvious approach to the effects of the quill but in this case I'd keep the original duration of six rounds.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Agreed to the kiseru.

Then the quill would be
Attack: quill +?? melee touch (confusion)
with
Quill (Su): If the Paper Warrior makes a successful melee touch attack with his quill pen, the victim must make a DC X Will save or be confused for 6 rounds. The save DC is Charisma-based.

This attack functions only for the Paper Warrior; if anyone else uses the quill, it functions only as a masterwork pen.

Do you want to include the Will save? Usually requiring an attack roll means we wouldn't allow a save, but the effect is strong enough maybe to allow a save.

Cleon

Legend
Agreed to the kiseru.

Then the quill would be
Attack: quill +?? melee touch (confusion)
with
Quill (Su): If the Paper Warrior makes a successful melee touch attack with his quill pen, the victim must make a DC X Will save or be confused for 6 rounds. The save DC is Charisma-based.

This attack functions only for the Paper Warrior; if anyone else uses the quill, it functions only as a masterwork pen.

Do you want to include the Will save? Usually requiring an attack roll means we wouldn't allow a save, but the effect is strong enough maybe to allow a save.

I'm in favour of keeping the saving throw, but we could include a minor short-term effect if the creature makes its save. Maybe "If the target saves it is [dazed for 1 round? fascinated for 1d3 rounds?] instead.

Also, can it make iterative attacks with the quill?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I think dazed for 1 round is ok:

Quill (Su): If the Paper Warrior makes a successful melee touch attack with his quill pen, the victim must make a DC X Will save or be confused for 6 rounds. On a successful save, the target is dazed for 1 round. The save DC is Charisma-based.

I say yes to iterative attacks.

Cleon

Legend
I think dazed for 1 round is ok:

Quill (Su): If the Paper Warrior makes a successful melee touch attack with his quill pen, the victim must make a DC X Will save or be confused for 6 rounds. On a successful save, the target is dazed for 1 round. The save DC is Charisma-based.

I say yes to iterative attacks.

Works for me.

Updating the Paper Warrior Working Draft.

Come to think of it, the Paper Warrior could use its kiseru and quill at the same time with Two-Weapon Fighting. It's worth considering when we get around to the Feats.

Debby

Explorer
The paper warrior looks like it needs the Incorporeal subtype as well as the Spirit subtype. Spirits aren't necessarily incorporeal (see OA)

Cleon

Legend
The paper warrior looks like it needs the Incorporeal subtype as well as the Spirit subtype. Spirits aren't necessarily incorporeal (see OA)

I thought about giving the Seven Swords a limited ability to plane shift to-and-from the ethereal plane to represent the way some of them "appear out of thin air and attack" in their encounter descriptions, but I don't think it'd be appropriate to give them the Incorporeal subtype.

They aren't described as having immaterial bodies that can walk through walls or as having a translucent "ghostly" appearance.

Debby

Explorer
Apparently, Craft (origami) is a skill in Oriental Adventures (see page 57) and can be used in conjunction with the Craft Talisman feat (page 142).

Debby

Cleon

Legend
Apparently, Craft (origami) is a skill in Oriental Adventures (see page 57) and can be used in conjunction with the Craft Talisman feat (page 142).

Well spotted! We'd definitely include that skill for the Paper Warrior.

Hmm, it should probably have the Craft (papermaking) skill as well.

The paper of form Wondrous Item on page 141 also seems pertinent to this conversion. I'll post it here for the benefit of anyone who doesn't have that sourcebook:
Oriental Adventures (2001) said:
Paper of Forms: This magic colored paper can be used by those with the Craft (origami) skill. When such a character folds the paper to create an animal or object (making a successful Craft check against DC 20), then blows on the origami form and utters the command word, the paper transforms into a life-sized, real version of the form with all the normal properties of the item created. The paper can only be used to make an animal (not any other kind of creature) up to size Large, or a nonmagical item up to 1,000 cubic feet large. Whatever the object or animal created, it is highly susceptible to fire, taking double damage from fire unless it makes a successful saving throw.

The paper remains in its transformed state until the character who created it utters a second command word, causing it to revert back to its origami form. This origami form can be transformed again into the same form as long as it is never unfolded; unfolding the origami shape ruins the paper and negates its magic.

Caster Level: 15th; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, animate objects, major creation; Market Price: 10,000 gp; Weight:—

Not sure how much of the above is relevant to the Paper Warrior's origami. Its writeup indicates the origami creations have fixed hit points (15) and AC (8, or AC 12 in 3E terms) rather than having the stats of whatever creature or object they're effigies of. It's noteworthy that the Paper Warrior's origami also takes double damage from fire.

It's tempting to have the Paper Warrior be able to "freestyle" origami animals and objects in addition to the special origami creations it can make: the shield beetle, bee warrior, vipers, pinwheel, leaping locusts and octopus. The Paper Warrior is significantly lower-level than the form of paper caster level prerequisite of 15th, so I'd probably reduce the size maxima to Medium or 100 cubic feet and add a "maximum hit points of 15" requirement.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases