• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting original D&D and Mystara monsters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleon

Legend
Resistance 20 to cover the damage it does to objects. It's a little high for the CR, but not a big deal. Done?

It's a Construct, not an object, so it only needs to resist the 2d6 damage it does, so acid resistance 15 would be enough for me.

Cleon

Legend
That works for me.

Galvan
Armor Class: 3
Hit Dice: 5
Move: 120’(40’)
Attacks: 1 or lightning bolt
Damage: by weapon or 3-18
No. Appearing: l-3 (0)
Save As: Fighter 5
Morale: 12
Treasure Type: C
Alignment: Neutral

These have a higher AC than the other magen.

We could add a heavy shield or another couple of points of natural armour, but I'm tempted to give them a +2 dodge bonus.

Maybe they have lightning reflexes to go with their lightning bolts.:lol:

Is the electricity supernatural or extraordinary? I'm tempted to make it Extraordinary (like they're living alchemical batteries) and the DC Str-based. Perhaps they generate the wattage with their muscles, like electric eels?

The rest of it's pretty straightforward:

EDIT: Oops! I left in the Skills, Feat and Organization of the Caldron, better change that...

Magen, Galven
Medium Construct
Hit Dice: 5d10+20 (47 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 17 (+4 Dex, +3 natural), touch 14, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+9
Attack: Longsword +5 melee (1d8+2/19-20) or +2 mighty longbow +8 ranged (1d8+2/ ×3)
Full Attack: Longsword +5 melee (1d8+2/19-20) or +2 mighty longbow +8 ranged (1d8+2/ ×3)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Lightning
Special Qualities: Construct traits, damage reduction 10/bludgeoning, darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, spell resistance 12
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +5, Will +1
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 18, Con —, Int 9, Wis 11, Cha 10
Skills: 8 [Listen +4, Spot +4?]
Feats: 2 [Point Blank Shot, Weapon Focus (longbow)]
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary, fulmination (2-8), or concoction (2-12 magen of different types)
Challenge Rating: 3 or 4?
Treasure: No coins; double goods (gems only); double items
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 5-6 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment: —

Lightning (Su): Three times per day a galvan can discharge a 60 ft. line of electricity doing 1d6 electricity damage per hit dice it possesses (5d6 for a standard galven), with a DC 14 Reflex save for half damage. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
Lookin' pretty good. I don't care for Str-based electricity, though.

As for the extra 2 points of AC, why not boost Dex? Although nothing indicates they are more agile than the other magen, nothing refutes it either. And like your own recommendation for Llightning Reflexes, electricity-based creatures are often "quick as lightning".

Cleon

Legend
Lookin' pretty good. I don't care for Str-based electricity, though.

As for the extra 2 points of AC, why not boost Dex? Although nothing indicates they are more agile than the other magen, nothing refutes it either. And like your own recommendation for Llightning Reflexes, electricity-based creatures are often "quick as lightning".

I just knew you were going to say that.:angel:

My next choices would be Constitution-based or Charisma-based for the lightning.

Either way, it would give it a rather weedy DC12, we could give it Ability Focus or a +2 racial bonus, but I'd rather make it Charisma-based and give it Cha 14 like it a Hypnos (maybe they have a magnetic personality to go with their lightning reflexes).

Giving it an extra 4 Dexterity was the first notion that sprung to my head but I was just reluctant to give it a stat that much higher without some hint in the original description that supports it. If you're alright with Dex 18 we can go for that.

In that case, how about giving it a mighty longbow for its primary weapon, and change its feats to Weapon Focus (longbow) and Point Blank Shot?

Not sure what to pick as a back-up weapon. Plain old longsword?

Finally, do you think 3d6 damage is enough for the lightning? Damage-dealing spells give less bang for the buck in Third edition, so maybe we should change it to 1d6 per Hit Dice instead?

I'll revise the previous rough draft with the proposed changes.

EDIT: If we increase the lightning damage to 5d6, I'm thinking we should raise the CR to 4?

Last edited:

Cleon

Legend
Updated. Did we ever decide on the amount of the resistance to acid? If not, 10 or 20 perhaps?

There are a couple of errors in the Caldron writeup in its Construction section, both bits left over from the Demos Magen.

Second paragraph has "Constructing a demos magen" instead of "caldron magen".

The fourth paragraph's still got the Demos's equipment in it. Either cut it out entirely or change it to "The listed cost does not include any equipment carried by the magen. The sample magen has a morningstar, which would add 8 gp to its construction cost."

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

I agree with everything except Weapon Focus (longbow). I'd recommend Ability Focus (lightning) instead. Since they can barely advance, there won't be much room for customization by DMs, so I think the feat is justified to boost their main attack.

Construction is just a placeholder from the caldron. Lightning bolt would seem to make the most sense here, probably replacing both acid arrow and shocking grasp. Perhaps cat's grace instead of bull's strength as well?

Cleon

Legend
Added to Homebrews.

I agree with everything except Weapon Focus (longbow). I'd recommend Ability Focus (lightning) instead. Since they can barely advance, there won't be much room for customization by DMs, so I think the feat is justified to boost their main attack.

Construction is just a placeholder from the caldron. Lightning bolt would seem to make the most sense here, probably replacing both acid arrow and shocking grasp. Perhaps cat's grace instead of bull's strength as well?

Ability Focus (lightning) and Point Blank Shot are fine by me.

The spell prereqs suit me, I was going to suggest lightning bolt and cat's grace makes good sense.

Since we're swapping out bull's strength, I'd like to drop its Strength to 12 (which would give them 1d8+1 damage and Grapple +4).

Being ranged blasters they don't need a high Str as much.

I think they're about as nasty as a Caldron Magen, so shall we give them the same 7,000 gp price and Challenge Rating 3?

Construction
To create a magen requires a custom built laboratory equipped with an electrum-lined mold. This mold defines the shape of the magen (male or female; human, dwarf, half-elf or other humanoid race). The total cost of this laboratory is 15,000 gp, but it can be reused to make multiple magen of any type (demos, caldron, hypnos, etc.). Additional molds to create magen of other shapes cost 5,000 gp apiece.

Constructing a galven magen requires exotic alchemical reagents and tinctures costing at least 1,000 gp. Molding the body requires a DC 12 Craft (alchemy) check.

CL 5th; Craft Construct, animate dead, cat's strength, lightning bolt, caster must be at least 5th level; Price 7,000 gp; Cost 4,000 gp + 240 XP.

Cleon

Legend
Affirmative on all that.

Updated.

Challenge Rating: 3?

Advancement: 6 HD (Medium)?

Its longbow attack goes down to +7 as it doesn't have WF (longbow) anymore.

Challenge Rating 3 suits me.

I'd make the Advancement 6-7 HD (Medium) just to allow for a touch of variability.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Updated.

Time for the last one!

Scalos Magen (2); AC 7; HD 4+2*; hp 19, 18; MV 120’ (40’); # AT 1; Dmg special or 1d6 (short sword); Save F5; SZ M; ML 12; INT 9; AL N; XP 200.

When a scalos magen touches its victim, the target creature is teleported 1d20x100 yards in a random direction (no save). The magen inflicts no damage with this attack and will not teleport anyone holding the magical tome or one of Jarrow’s spellbooks, preferring to use their short swords instead.

Originally appeared in Dungeon Magazine #53 (1995).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads