• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Converting prehistoric creatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleon

Legend
*SNIP*

Did we ever determine Advancement?

It hasn't been decided as far as I know.

I suggested 4-6 HD (Medium), 7-9 HD (Large) back in post #907.

The SRD Elephant has 11 Hit Dice and advances to double its HD without increasing its size, being 12-22 HD (Huge), but I like the idea of the dwarfs including specimens advancing a size category, since it allows for an overlap with pygmy mammoths.

There had always been this one gorgonopsid that had been screaming out to me to give it stats: Rubidgea, with its enormous canine teeth. The only problem was I wasn't able to determine its size. Well I finally did some digging and found by accident a page describing the discovery of a Rubidgea fossil, describing it as 9 3/4 feet long from nose to tail. I figured since we didn't make a gorgonopsid in the big cat size range and the fangs were asking for a Wounding property, I could come up with this nasty beast:

Gorgonopsid, Rubidgea
Large Animal
Hit Dice: 6d8+24 (51 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +5 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+13
Attack: Bite +9 melee (1d8+7 plus wounding bite/19-20)
Full Attack: Bite +9 melee (1d8+7 plus wounding bite/19-20)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Augmented critical, wounding bite
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +6, Will +3
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 15, Con 19, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 6
Skills: Hide +2*, Listen +5, Spot +5, Survival +5
Feats: Alertness, Track, Weapon Focus (bite)
Environment: Warm plains and deserts
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 5-8 HD (Large)

About the size of a tiger, this creature resembles both a mammal and a reptile. Its long skull sports a massive maw with enormous saberlike canine teeth. Its muscular frame sits atop pillarlike legs, and a thick tail lashes behind it.

Rubidgea is a large gorgonopsian, a type of carnivorous therapsid ('mammal-like reptile') that predated the dinosaurs. As large as a tiger, rubidgea was able to bring down prey larger than itself with its deadly, saberlike incisors – larger and thicker than those of most other gorgonopsids. Its keen sense of smell allows it to easily track prey over long distances.

Rubidgea are about 8-10 feet long from nose to tail, weighing 300-500 pounds.

Combat
A rubidgea savages prey with its saber-like teeth, striking at vital areas to bleed its prey to death.

Augmented Critical (Ex): The saber teeth of a rubidgea strike with deadly precision. A rubidgea's bite attack threatens a critical hit on a roll of 19-20.

Wounding Bite (Ex): A wound from a rubidgea's bite attack continues to bleed after the injury was inflicted. Each wound bleeds for 1 point of damage per round thereafter. Multiple claw wounds result in cumulative bleeding loss (two wounds deal 2 points of damage per round, and so on). The bleeding can be stopped only by a successful DC 15 Heal check or the application of any cure spell or other healing spell (heal, mass heal, and so on).

Skills: *Rubidgea receive a +4 racial bonus to Hide checks in tall grass.

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
I'd recommend the "old school" wounding rather than the 3.5 wounding, like this...

Bleeding Wounds (Ex): A wound from a nycaloth's claw attack continues to bleed after the injury was inflicted. Each wound bleeds for 1 point of damage per round thereafter. Multiple claw wounds result in cumulative bleeding loss (two wounds deal 2 points of damage per round, and so on). The bleeding can be stopped only by a successful DC 15 Heal check or the application of any cure spell or other healing spell (heal, mass heal, and so on).

Other than that, it looks good!

Cleon

Legend
The Gorgonopsid looks great.

The only suggestion I can come up with is modifying the Wounding Bite description to say "Each wound bleeds for 1 hit point of damage per round thereafter", just to make it absolutely clear what kind of damage is involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads