Converting prehistoric creatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

xidoraven

Explorer
Rabbit is the bomb, and that's all there is to it. ;) :p

I like this one. It reminds me of a big, long-toothed, short-legged version of Lycaenops (one of my favorites).

I am so mad that Wizards is killing my productivity while I have the opportunity to edit the material there... I now know it would have been worth my time to save a hard copy of my writings as a document on my laptop... *grumbles* .... *saber-tooth tiger bites Wizards in raging anger* *roars*

ps: for the record, I want to make a dinopriminal version of one of our therapsids - I was considering Lycaenops as the basis, but I like this one's teeth... so like I am combining other dinos/prims into the equivalents for dinopriminals, we might just have to make a few extra tweaks to make them awesome.... And yes, I realize that this is completely off-topic for this forum, but without the Wizards forum I am going through withdrawals on my Dinopriminals... *pulls out hair*

RavinRay

Explorer
Hey, we don't want you to lose your hair! ;)

BTW, I didn't mention this during the dwarf elephant, but have the 1e minimals been converted already. if so which thread?

The Wizards forum just came back up this afternoon and O_O man is is different. Did they really have to change it that much? :confused: I liked it a LOT better when it looked like a vBulletin and I could actually see the last 30 or so posts when I reply to something. Then again, maybe that's just me; I'm very uncomfortable with change.

Xidoraven, I have a few things for you:
  • I found something that might help you with making Eomanis: here's Vorpal Tribble's pangolin from Feb 2005.
  • Also, I've completed a new dinopriminal based on the Gorgonopsians. I had this really great idea to have it cast spells like a sorcerer, yet still be a powerful combatant.

Last edited:

RavinRay

Explorer
We can tackle a 3.5 version in the Overhaul thread if you'd like.
Thanks Shade, but for me it can wait. There are so many prehistoric critters I love to see converted first. But if others want to take a crack at it, then go! :)

xidoraven

Explorer
Hey, we don't want you to lose your hair! ;)

Yeah, WAY too late, but thanks... :p

The Wizards forum just came back up this afternoon and O_O man is is different. Did they really have to change it that much? :confused: I liked it a LOT better when it looked like a vBulletin and I could actually see the last 30 or so posts when I reply to something. Then again, maybe that's just me; I'm very uncomfortable with change.

Xidoraven, I have a few things for you:
  • I found something that might help you with making Eomanis: here's Vorpal Tribble's pangolin from Feb 2005.
  • Also, I've completed a new dinopriminal based on the Gorgonopsians. I had this really great idea to have it cast spells like a sorcerer, yet still be a powerful combatant.

Oh, my nerves are calming a little.... Yes, you're right - it is vastly different, and I (like you) fear change sometimes. We gained a wiki, but did we lose anything? I am not sure....

I like the pangolin here, but I think I like the basis I was considering before. Improved Low-light Vision might not be bad, but from what I have read they don't have very good sight, and often rely on smell and sound to discern their predators, etc.

I will put together a spreadsheet list and documents together for the dinopriminals to back them up on my hard drive (should that ever happen again), and will look at which niche that idea fills. I believe it is called a Therapsinal in the main list.

OK, so the link to my original Pangolin post should now be active.

Also: Here, Here, Here, Here, and Here.

Last edited:

As far as I can tell, we as Wizards members lost our signatures, our avatars, the proper capitalization of our screen names, a lot of BBcode (lists and quotes are broken), and at least one whole post. Personally, I'm considering moving over to EN World to post things and abandoning the Wizards forums entirely.

Also, I decided to call the therapsid dinopriminal "Gorgonal" since it's based on the gorgonopsians and "gorgonal" sounds cooler to me than "therapsinal."

xidoraven

Explorer
You're right, Rabbit - we did lose a lot of our own personal account content, and the formatting looks like poop, but I am not sure of your lost post. What do you think you have lost? I myself see all of my previously posted content, so I am not sure about this one point.

In all honesty, I have found this particular thread to be very on-task, dedicated to refined and balanced statistics, and eager to work on precedent and logic. I agree it would be worthwhile to stay here, but I will likely remain on Wizards as well, if for nothing more than to archive the posts I had made there. They also now have a wiki, which is not much of a plus for me, since I have always been working on D&D Wiki for things that I want posted long-term. I had considered suggesting using the new wiki, but it will likely take some time for people to lose their animosity for the new layout before that can be accomplished.

Perhaps we should start a new fantasy-dinoprim thread here, so that we are not clogging up the conversion thread with fiction-fluff (especially for things like the dinopriminals, and feats/classes, etc.).

I am also cool with that idea for the Therapsinal => Gorgonal. I am not such a fan of the name, but the idea is still the same. Let's try to combine as many therapsid characteristics as possible if possible, and I still love Lycaenops as an inspiration. I am also a fan of the image that Wikipedia has listed on the main page for Therapsida of the canine-like creature yawning. Those make me happy. And a picture for Gorgonopsid & Gorgopsinal (what about this spelling?):
800px-Gorgonops_whaitsii1.jpg

And for the record, in addition to all the unedited and unrefined creatures that have been drafted on the Wizards threads, there is also still one other web resource that I am referencing for things not listed in either of these other two archives: an html web page by Mark Goodwin (both referenced and original content).

Last edited:

xidoraven

Explorer
Okay, so Eomanis/Pre-Pangolin:
Pangolin (Vorpal Tribble's 2005)
Small Animal
Hit Dice: 1d8 +3
Initiative: +2
Speed: 20 ft., 20 ft. (climb), 10 ft. (burrow)
Armor Class: 19 (+2 size, +1 dex, +6 natural)
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-4
Attack: Claw +2 melee (1d4)
Full Attack: 2 Claw +2 melee (1d4), Slam -2 (1d2)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Qualities: Improved Low-light vision, Scent
Saves: Fort 4+, Ref +3, Will +3
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 2, Wis 15, Cha 5
Skills: Escape Artist +2, Hide +7, Listen +6, Spot +6
Feats: Weapon Finesse
Enviroment: Warm Forest or Swamp
Organization: Solitary, Family (2-8)
Challenge Rating: 1/2
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: -
Level Adjustment: -

A pangolin vaguely resembles an ant-eater, with a short body and squat legs. Its head is tiny and narrow with a long snout from which may curl a dextrous, foot-long tongue. Every inch of it is covered in wide, horny plates that overlap one another densely. Its long, flat tail is likewise covered in plates, with the serrated edges developing blunt points.

Combat:

Pangolins only fight if cornered, lashing out with their serrated tails, or slashing with their long claws. If the odds are against it it will roll into a tight ball, hoping to fend off blows.

Armored Ball (Ex):
A pangolin can roll into a tight ball when threatened, increasing its Armor Class by 4, but losing its dexterity modifier to AC and can take no action. In this state it is also immune to critical attacks.

Improved Low-Light Vision (Ex):
A pangolin is a nocturnal creature and can see three times as far as normal in dim light.

Skills:
A pangolin gains a +6 to Hide, Listen and Spot checks.

Familiar:
The owner of a pangolin familiar gains a +2 bonus to natural armor class

Eomanis (Prehistoric Pangolin) - by xidoraven on Wizards forum
Tiny Animal
Hit Dice: 2d8+4 (12 hp)
Initiative: +0
Speed: 15 ft. (2 squares), burrow 10 ft. (2 squares), climb 10 ft.
Armor Class: 17 (+2 size, +5 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 17
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-10
Attack: Claw -1 melee (1d4)
Full Attack: Claw -1 melee (1d4)
Space/Reach: 2-1/2 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Sticky tongue
Special Qualities: Defensive ball, low-light vision, noxious spray, scent
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +2, Will +1
Abilities: Str 7, Dex 11, Con 15, Int 2, Wis 11, Cha 12
Skills: Climb +4*, Listen +2, Survival +3
Feats: Weapon Finesse (claw), Weapon Focus (claw)
Environment:
Warm forests, hills, & plains
Organization: Solitary, pair, or family (3-5)
Challenge Rating: 1
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 3-4 HD (Tiny), 5-7 HD (Small)
Level Adjustment: -

This tiny creature has a thick body and long broad tail, with a pointed snout and small beady eyes. Its body is covered with tough, keratinous scales which lay flat against its body while walking, although its legs and tail are not protected by these. Its long front claws bend under its forelimbs as it walks, and seems to be quite adept with them. Its long sticky tongue darts out to snag up some insects from a nearby insect mound that it has torn apart with its claws.

Content - feeds on insects and plants

Combat
Defensive Ball (Ex) - willingly become prone, lose Dex bonus to AC, gain +4 misc to AC, as stegosaurus - also has sharpness so light/natural weapon attacks take damage unless Ref save

Noxious Spray (Ex) - as a skunk, clings to sprayed creatures

Sticky Tongue (Ex) - gives 1 ft. reach, no dmg attack, bonus to grapple checks, sticky saliva

Skills & Feats: Eomanis receive a +4 to climb checks, as well as the racial bonus feat, Weapon Focus (claw)

Discussion:
Whoops! Browser Settings Incompatible

Adding the "Dire Template":
Dire Pangolin (Dire, Medium - 4 ft. 4 in.)
8HD, advance 9-12HD (Med) 13-18HD (Large)
+7 natural AC?
SA - add Constrict, Improved Grab, Rend
SQ - add Tremorsense
Claw attacks +6 melee 1d6 (same Weapon focus racial bonus feat)
fully covered in body plating on all vulnerable areas, including tail and legs
Train for riding by small riders

Yeah, I think you should start a thread here for the dinopriminals. The best place for it would be in the Homebrews forum, and you/we could move the existing dinopriminals over there.

Also I think that the eomanis' scales shouldn't do any more than 1d3 damage to an attacking foe, and they shouldn't damage weapons. If we're making a small animal, it shouldn't be really complicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads