Converting True Dragons

Shade

Monster Junkie
So...

Breath Weapon (Su): A mustard dragon has two types of breath weapon, a cone of disease gas and a cone of blinding gas. Creatures within a cone of disease gas suffer Strength and Dexterity damage equal to half the age category of the dragon. A successful Fortitude(?) save halves the damage. A creature reduced to Strength 0 and Dexterity 0 dies. Creatures within a cone of blinding gas must succeed on a Fortitude save or be permanenty blinded, or dazzled for 1d6 rounds plus 1 round per age category of the dragon on a successful save.

I borrowed the duration from the silver dragon's paralyzing gas.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
On a failed Fort save, characters hit by the disease breath should also contract a disease that does 1 Str and 1 Dex (or more?) drain per day. It should be hard to cure, though probably not supernatural.

Cleon

Legend
Breath Weapon (Su): A mustard dragon has two types of breath weapon, a cone of disease gas and a cone of blinding gas. Creatures within a cone of disease gas suffer Strength and Dexterity damage equal to half the age category of the dragon. A successful Fortitude(?) save halves the damage. A creature reduced to Strength 0 and Dexterity 0 dies. Creatures within a cone of blinding gas must succeed on a Fortitude save or be permanenty blinded, or dazzled for 1d6 rounds plus 1 round per age category of the dragon on a successful save.

On a failed Fort save, characters hit by the disease breath should also contract a disease that does 1 Str and 1 Dex (or more?) drain per day. It should be hard to cure, though probably not supernatural.

That sounds fine to me.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Revising...

Breath Weapon (Su): A mustard dragon has two types of breath weapon, a cone of disease gas and a cone of blinding gas. Creatures within a cone of disease gas suffer Strength and Dexterity damage equal to half the age category of the dragon and contracts mustard rot (see below). A successful Fortitude save halves the damage and avoids contracting mustard rot. A creature reduced to Strength 0 and Dexterity 0 dies. Creatures within a cone of blinding gas must succeed on a Fortitude save or be permanenty blinded, or dazzled for 1d6 rounds plus 1 round per age category of the dragon on a successful save.

Mustard Rot (Su): Supernatural disease—breath weapon, Fortitude DC equals breath weapon DC, incubation period 1 day; damage 1 Str and 1 Dex drain. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Unlike normal diseases, mustard rot continues until the victim reaches Constitution 0 (and dies) or is cured as described below.

Mustard rot is a powerful curse, not a natural disease. A character attempting to cast any conjuration (healing) spell on a creature afflicted with mustard rot must succeed on a DC 20 caster level check, or the spell has no effect on the afflicted character.

To eliminate mustard rot, the curse must first be broken with break enchantment or remove curse (requiring a DC 20 caster level check for either spell), after which a caster level check is no longer necessary to cast healing spells on the victim, and the mustard rot can be magically cured as any normal disease.

Cleon

Legend
Revising...

Breath Weapon (Su): A mustard dragon has two types of breath weapon, a cone of disease gas and a cone of blinding gas. Creatures within a cone of disease gas suffer Strength and Dexterity damage equal to half the age category of the dragon and contracts mustard rot (see below). A successful Fortitude save halves the damage and avoids contracting mustard rot. A creature reduced to Strength 0 and Dexterity 0 dies. Creatures within a cone of blinding gas must succeed on a Fortitude save or be permanenty blinded, or dazzled for 1d6 rounds plus 1 round per age category of the dragon on a successful save.

Mustard Rot (Su): Supernatural disease—breath weapon, Fortitude DC equals breath weapon DC, incubation period 1 day; damage 1 Str and 1 Dex drain. The save DC is Charisma-based.

Unlike normal diseases, mustard rot continues until the victim reaches Constitution 0 (and dies) or is cured as described below.

Mustard rot is a powerful curse, not a natural disease. A character attempting to cast any conjuration (healing) spell on a creature afflicted with mustard rot must succeed on a DC 20 caster level check, or the spell has no effect on the afflicted character.

To eliminate mustard rot, the curse must first be broken with break enchantment or remove curse (requiring a DC 20 caster level check for either spell), after which a caster level check is no longer necessary to cast healing spells on the victim, and the mustard rot can be magically cured as any normal disease.

Making the mustard rot a curse still feels a bit odd to me, but I guess if we didn't it would make the attack too trivial for most level-appropriate PCs, so I'm fine with it.

freyar

The original disease sounded Su to me, so I'm fine with that. However, it shouldn't be "until the victim reaches Constitution 0 (and dies)" but Str 0 and Dex 0, like the breath weapon. EDIT: should the CL checks for the healing spells be tied to the age category somehow? Like DC 15 + age category?

Shade

Monster Junkie
The original disease sounded Su to me, so I'm fine with that. However, it shouldn't be "until the victim reaches Constitution 0 (and dies)" but Str 0 and Dex 0, like the breath weapon. EDIT: should the CL checks for the healing spells be tied to the age category somehow? Like DC 15 + age category?

Sounds good!

Updated.

Dragon (Shapechanger?)

Environment: Any land?

Alignment: Always chaotic neutral?

*Can also cast cleric spells and those from the Charm?, Destruction?, and Trickery? domains as arcane spells.

Skills: Mustard dragons have a -x racial penalty on Sense Motive checks. Bluff, Disguise, and Hide? are considered class skills for mustard dragons.

freyar

Yes to all the suggestions, I think, though I'm not terribly insistent on Hide. -4 penalty to Sense Motive?

Cleon

Legend
Sounds good!

Updated.

Dragon (Shapechanger?)

I wouldn't give it Shapechanger. A Silver Dragon has a better Alternate Form and it doesn't have that subtype.

Environment: Any land?

Alignment: Always chaotic neutral?

Both those are fine.

*Can also cast cleric spells and those from the Charm?, Destruction?, and Trickery? domains as arcane spells.

Trickery seems the only good fit. I suppose Destruction fits with the breath weapons. Maybe Healing, since "it can select Cures or Cause spells from clerical lists".

Destruction, Healing and Trickery?

Skills: Mustard dragons have a -x racial penalty on Sense Motive checks. Bluff, Disguise, and Hide? are considered class skills for mustard dragons.

Yes, a significant penalty on Sense Motive should represent their Gullibility.

Would -8 be too much?

Remove ads