Cookin again

Zardnaar

Legend
Breakfast.

Sausage roll with tomato relish. Very good but different to ye olde traditional one. UK, Ireland , Aussie and NZ do them afaik. This one had herbs, carrot and other stuff in it.

IMG_20210523_100611.jpg

Favorite pancakes. Not to rich just plain yoghurt and fruit compote.

IMG_20210523_101348.jpg

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
We got a new grill for outside (our last one died a few years ago). My 11yo took charge of putting it (at about twice his weight) together, with me as unskilled labor. He broke it in by cooking ramen noodles on the side burner. If we don't figure out how to make a pizza in it, I picture that as his go-to

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Looks great. Skipping dinner tonight having baguettes tomorrow and pita the following night.

Found out another USAism.

USA/NZ translation.
Cookie/Biscuit
Biscuit/Scone (sorta)

Do you ever stuff the pita?
I have in the past, but not these. Their density is higher than most of the other pitas available around here, and they’re thicker as well. The density is the tricky part, though. There’s no real open space to stuff. I’d have to cut a pocket in it.

To make any kind of stuffed pita, I’d have to get them from one of our local Lebanese restaurants. They’re really the only ones making thin, puffy pocket pita breads.

We used to have a chain of sandwich shops called The Hip Pocket, whose entire thing was sandwiches made in pita pockets. (Hence the name.) My favorite was slices of ham, turkey and roast beef, with shredded iceberg lettuce, sliced tomatoes and green goddess dressing.

When the company folded, some locations owned by franchisees stayed afloat for another decade or so, under different names. But even these closed eventually.

I’ve tried to recreate the sandwich, but green goddess dressing is long out of style. The only one I’ve found on the market has none of the original ingredients in it, just chemical flavor simulators.

Zardnaar

Legend
I have in the past, but not these. Their density is higher than most of the other pitas available around here, and they’re thicker as well. The density is the tricky part, though. There’s no real open space to stuff. I’d have to cut a pocket in it.

To make any kind of stuffed pita, I’d have to get them from one of our local Lebanese restaurants. They’re really the only ones making thin, puffy pocket pita breads.

We used to have a chain of sandwich shops called The Hip Pocket, whose entire thing was sandwiches made in pita pockets. (Hence the name.) My favorite was slices of ham, turkey and roast beef, with shredded iceberg lettuce, sliced tomatoes and green goddess dressing.

When the company folded, some locations owned by franchisees stayed afloat for another decade or so, under different names. But even these closed eventually.

I’ve tried to recreate the sandwich, but green goddess dressing is long out of style. The only one I’ve found on the market has none of the original ingredients in it, just chemical flavor simulators.

You can make home made pita. Basic bread recipe dry fry in a pan.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The way I put it: Cooking is an art. Baking is science.

Not that baking can’t be artistic, because it clearly can, but there’s a lot more wiggle room in cooking than baking. Get your ingredient proportions off a smidge in baking, you probably have a disaster. In cooking, you might only have an interesting new variant.

Last edited:

Remove ads