Cookin again

Zardnaar

Legend
I’d eat most of those pizzas, except maybe the chicken apricot. The wraps all look right. The waffles…I’d have to pass on the chocolate ones because of my allergy. The strawberry lolly one would be not to my tastes because I’m not a straw fan.

Looks like we're trying the Indo-Nepalese place. Wife said yes. Probably helps they do Kadai which is her favorite curry.

Zardnaar

Legend
Well wasn't as quick as I liked but that's more on us being in a hurry.

Ordered an ok IPA beer and chilli chicken Momo's.

IMG_20210616_180123.jpg

These were very good. Very similar to the Chinese dumplings with different filling and chilli sauce. Nicely spiced

Mate ordered a medium Butter chicken and wife ordered a Kadai chicken no surprise there. They were a bit hotter than most places medium but didn't cross the line to hot. Just perfect. The curries were delicious perhaps the best we have found. Probably better than the momos.

Cheesy garlic naan was amazing.
IMG_20210616_175952.jpg

Very hot and very cheesy. Could have had another beer or three. Awesome place.

Menu
Mela Eatery in Dunedin Indo & Nepalese Cuisine | Order Indian food Online | Takeaway available - Order Meal

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Yeah, that looks like a menu I could spend some time with!

I think we'll go back but not on game night.

It's inconvenient to get to, not much seating and our local place is almost as good at least with the curries and has a bit more variety.

Pleasant surprise/find. Noticed it a few weeks back after you posted the Nepal place. It's right beside the burger place and both are 1-2 minutes from the Gamestore.

They have kingfisher beer on tap though. Decent lager but any lager that's not terrible is great with curry.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter

Oven-baked pork chop, potatoes & onions with butter sautéed garlic spinach and sautéed portobello mushrooms & green onions.

The bone-in pork chop is thin cut and liberally seasoned with garlic pepper. They’re baked on a layer of slivered onions & Yukon gold potatoes.

The baby spinach is sautéed just to the point of wilting in a pan with butter and garlic that has been crushed and grossly minced, seasoned with salt & black pepper.

The mushrooms were quartered, then sautéed with green onions in EVOO & butter. About a tablespoon of A1 steak sauce went in. Towards the end, I deglazed the pan with some white wine, then tossed them with some grated Swiss when I took them off the heat.

For Father’s Day, Dad wants peace & quiet. Well…he’s getting PART of that wish. AFAIK, Mom hasn’t invited anyone over. Of course, that does not mean people won’t drop in or call the house.

I’m planning on doing ribeyes, corn on the cob and oven roasted veggies. Or something like that. I may or may not fire up the grill, despite the heat. Might do another shrimp salad.

Zardnaar

Legend

Oven-baked pork chop, potatoes & onions with butter sautéed garlic spinach and sautéed portobello mushrooms & green onions.

The bone-in pork chop is thin cut and liberally seasoned with garlic pepper. They’re baked on a layer of slivered onions & Yukon gold potatoes.

The baby spinach is sautéed just to the point of wilting in a pan with butter and garlic that has been crushed and grossly minced, seasoned with salt & black pepper.

The mushrooms were quartered, then sautéed with green onions in EVOO & butter. About a tablespoon of A1 steak sauce went in. Towards the end, I deglazed the pan with some white wine, then tossed them with some grated Swiss when I took them off the heat.

For Father’s Day, Dad wants peace & quiet. Well…he’s getting PART of that wish. AFAIK, Mom hasn’t invited anyone over. Of course, that does not mean people won’t drop in or call the house.

I’m planning on doing ribeyes, corn on the cob and oven roasted veggies. Or something like that. I may or may not fire up the grill, despite the heat. Might do another shrimp salad.

Looks good would try. I've never really been able to love pork though but I don't dislike it. Best stuff I ever had was mate marinaded a wild pig overnight and spit roast it.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It would work equally well with your favorite poultry.

And I agree that wild pig/boar is taaaaaasty! Haven’t been able to get any for a few years, though.😕

Zardnaar

Legend
It would work equally well with your favorite poultry.

And I agree that wild pig/boar is taaaaaasty! Haven’t been able to get any for a few years, though.😕

These southern USA rib joints they are pork?

I eat bacon, ham etc but they're to salty and on those rare occasions I get a burger generlybaim for steak and egg over cheese and bacon.

Poultry good luck getting wife to eat not chicken. I'll eat Turkey but don't love it now a fan of duck.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
With BBQ, what you get depends on where you are. And by that, I mean down to the particular joint, not just the state or region.

A lot of the BBQ places here in Tx serve pork ribs, pulled pork, chicken, sausage, or brisket. Brisket (usually smoked & sliced) is probably king among the natives- it is so popular it’s starting to show up on cutting board stations in Chinese and Mediterranean restaurants.

But a sizeable number of places serve BEEF ribs, especially certain places in Austin. Austin also exposed me to Mutton ribs, which were incredible. (I’d be surprised if someone in your neck of the woods couldn’t make a killing with those.) And Turkey is becoming more popular here in D/FW, in no small part because of the larger numbers of Muslims moving to town. A good smoked turkey is an excellent substitute for ham in many applications.

And then there’s the exotic smoked meats that are becoming more common. Besides Buffalo, I’ve had ostrich, quail, boar, elk and venison at various smokehouses.

There’s a niiiiice family owned Mexican restaurant in San Antonio that serves cabrito (goat) a half dozen ways, including a slow-roasted rotisserie that is in-freaking-credible. Besides them, the Brazilians, Argentinians and other Central and South American cultures are showing off their flair with fire & flesh.

Zardnaar

Legend
With BBQ, what you get depends on where you are. And by that, I mean down to the particular joint, not just the state or region.

A lot of the BBQ places here in Tx serve pork ribs, pulled pork, chicken, sausage, or brisket. Brisket (usually smoked & sliced) is probably king among the natives- it is so popular it’s starting to show up on cutting board stations in Chinese and Mediterranean restaurants.

But a sizeable number of places serve BEEF ribs, especially certain places in Austin. Austin also exposed me to Mutton ribs, which were incredible. (I’d be surprised if someone in your neck of the woods couldn’t make a killing with those.) And Turkey is becoming more popular here in D/FW, in no small part because of the larger numbers of Muslims moving to town. A good smoked turkey is an excellent substitute for ham in many applications.

And then there’s the exotic smoked meats that are becoming more common. Besides Buffalo, I’ve had ostrich, quail, boar, elk and venison at various smokehouses.

There’s a niiiiice family owned Mexican restaurant in San Antonio that serves cabrito (goat) a half dozen ways, including a slow-roasted rotisserie that is in-freaking-credible. Besides them, the Brazilians, Argentinians and other Central and South American cultures are showing off their flair with fire & flesh.

Not to many BBQ joints here. One thing I miss is good Mexican or whatever. I think we have one in town compare with about 7 or 8 Turkish places in walking distance from them.

Gastro pubs are popular we go to them a lot. Thought it might be different in Christchurch but where we were Asian places outnumbered everything else put togather.

I don't mind them but plenty here and you can find then in towns and all the way down to a village with a few hundred people.

There's various price points.
Take about 25% off for usd.

$5 or under. Cheap pizza, fish and chips, cheap burger

$6-$10 McDonalds combo, cheap Chinese, cheap Indian (lunchtime special) sushi, cheap food truck.

$10-$15 premium burger joint, large McDonalds combo, decent pizza, Indian, Turkish, food court meal, cheap pub meal, food truck.

$15-$30 Typical pub meal, premium pizza, premium burger meal (briscott+fries).

$30-50 Hipster pub or premium restaurant.

Anything over $50 is probably fairly exclusive/pish etc.

Remove ads