Cookin again

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Not to many BBQ joints here. One thing I miss is good Mexican or whatever. I think we have one in town compare with about 7 or 8 Turkish places in walking distance from them.

Gastro pubs are popular we go to them a lot. Thought it might be different in Christchurch but where we were Asian places outnumbered everything else put togather.

I don't mind them but plenty here and you can find then in towns and all the way down to a village with a few hundred people.

There's various price points.
Take about 25% off for usd.

$5 or under. Cheap pizza, fish and chips, cheap burger

$6-$10 McDonalds combo, cheap Chinese, cheap Indian (lunchtime special) sushi, cheap food truck.

$10-$15 premium burger joint, large McDonalds combo, decent pizza, Indian, Turkish, food court meal, cheap pub meal, food truck.

$15-$30 Typical pub meal, premium pizza, premium burger meal (briscott+fries).

$30-50 Hipster pub or premium restaurant.

Anything over $50 is probably fairly exclusive/pish etc.
I’m still trying to learn how to use the electric smoker Mom gave me a couple years ago. It’s nice, big & easy to operate, but the chamber for your smoking wood is kind of small compared to what the SERIOUS smokemasters use. Where they might be able to add whole split logs, I’m working with chips. So partly because of that, I haven’t mastered the discipline of keeping track of when I need to add more wood.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
I

I’m still trying to learn how to use the electric smoker Mom gave me a couple years ago. It’s nice, big & easy to operate, but the chamber for your smoking wood is kind of small compared to what the SERIOUS smokemasters use. Where they might be able to add whole split logs, I’m working with chips. So partly because of that, I haven’t mastered the discipline of keeping track of when I need to add more wood.

I'm completely lost wouldn't even know where to start.

My Arabic mate used to run a middle east BBQ place. It was great on if the best steaks I've had anywhere. Cheap as well.

Zardnaar

Legend
I started by READING. And I still am!

Been thinking of making a man cave. There's a workbench in the basement never used it.

IMG_20210617_180125.jpg

Made chicken croissants tonight. They were beautiful and I bought this creamy camembert cheese.

Very gooey inside. May have added some garlic crackers to the shopping bag no reason.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Dad wants a simple, quiet, no-fuss Father’s Day. I currently have a pair of big ribeye steaks thawing in the 2nd fridge, I’ll get some russets to bake. I’ll track down a nice hearty bread and do a nice salad as well. Something like a variation on caprese, but with avocado in for the ride. A small corn maque choux. Possibly a cake.

Or maybe…a nice steak-stuffed omelette!

Zardnaar

Legend
Nice dinner but not really a great combo.

Left over croissants with chicken served up with potato bake.

Potato bake started off with basic supermarket packet and added chilli flakes, paprika, bacon, and jalapenos poppers lol.

Friday night shopping day Sunday. Tomorrow left over potato bake and probably hummus/salad/rice falafel.

Basically what needs to be cleared out of the fridge.

IMG_20210618_175509.jpg

Not much camembert left after munchies+crackers. Don't think this meal will catch on.

Pleasant surprise was the crackers, cheese and some chocolate were all supermarket in house brands and the quality was great. Limited options at small local supermarket the other night.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Basically what needs to be cleared out of the fridge.

In our family, we call that “Thursday night at Grandmother’s”.

Lightly toasted pita
Butter
Triple cream Brie
1 green onion, sliced into long quarters
Garlic sprouts
Smoked salsa
2 slices of prosciutto

Remove ads