• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cookin again

Zardnaar

Legend
by the way, took a look at the area around Christchurch and I can easily see the area you mentioned of the volcano.

It's to the east, the harbour in Akaroa is the old caldera. Akaroa was settled by the French.

A touch of France. French started a colony here but the British kinda annexed the lot and signed a treaty with the Maori. You can go swimming with dolphins there.

Because if that volcano Christchurch can get very cold. It traps the cold air in the hollow (Christchurch) and traps smog.

They banned wood burners years ago.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Thanks! Honestly I don’t know if I would have have the confidence if I hadn’t learned how to make a simple sauce in order to make chicken pot pies several months ago.

Definitely gonna take another crack at what I intended to make soon, though! 😂
One of the great lessons you can learn in cooking is how to substitute- ingredients, cooking techniques, or even type of dish. Once you start realizing how to “shuffle the deck”, it really opens your eyes about possibilities.

Emeril did it for me when he said you could sub melted ice cream for creme fraiche.

A month later, those words inspired me to use french onion dip while making beef stroganoff when I realized both my sour cream and green onions had gone bad.

Then I was watching a cooking competition show where one contestant’s oven wasn’t working, so he tossed his dish in the deep fryer. He won the round.

Years later, my Mom challenged me to do something different with gumbo. I figured out how to make it into a pasta sauce…and cut cooking time by more than an hour.

And last year, I saw a young teen kid on Chopped JR. use wonton wrappers baked in muffin tins to make crispy cups for her stuffing- a move NONE of the chefs had ever seen. And the results got her a win in the stage.

So keep your mind working! Who knows what other tricks you’ll figure out.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
One of the great lessons you can learn in cooking is how to substitute- ingredients, cooking techniques, or even type of dish. Once you start realizing how to “shuffle the deck”, it really opens your eyes about possibilities.

Emeril did it for me when he said you could sub melted ice cream for creme fraiche.

A month later, those words inspired me to use french onion dip while making beef stroganoff when I realized both my sour cream and green onions had gone bad.

Then I was watching a cooking competition show where one contestant’s oven wasn’t working, so he tossed his dish in the deep fryer. He won the round.

Years later, my Mom challenged me to do something different with gumbo. I figured out how to make it into a pasta sauce…and cut cooking time by more than an hour.

And last year, I saw a young teen kid on Chopped JR. use wonton wrappers baked in muffin tins to make crispy cups for her stuffing- a move NONE of the chefs had ever seen. And the results got her a win in the stage.

So keep your mind working! Who knows what other tricks you’ll figure out.
I have been watching a lot of Sorted on YouTube, and they do a lot of that kind of stuff, it’s pretty inspiring.

ScottDeWar_jr

second birthdate : 15 Dec 2011
It's to the east, the harbour in Akaroa is the old caldera. Akaroa was settled by the French.

.. .. .. .. ..

A touch of France. French started a colony here but the British kinda annexed the lot and signed a treaty with the Maori. You can go swimming with dolphins there.

.. .. .. .. ..
So, the [literal] Fault [/literal] is the french?

Zardnaar

Legend
So, the [literal] Fault [/literal] is the french?

No idea there's a few towns not settled by the English. There's a Croat town for example, Scots down my way.

This is a flat white.

IMG_20210711_124814.jpg

NZ coffee is brewed out a lot stronger than US coffee. I think a normal one here is double USA and the flat white was invented here.

Went out for coffee it's turned into lunch.

For $16 NZD ($12 USD approx) they're doing venison and plum pie, chips, salad and an IPA.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
No idea there's a few towns not settled by the English. There's a Croat town for example, Scots down my way.

This is a flat white.

View attachment 140255

NZ coffee is brewed out a lot stronger than US coffee. I think a normal one here is double USA and the flat white was invented here.

Went out for coffee it's turned into lunch.

For $16 NZD ($12 USD approx) they're doing venison and plum pie, chips, salad and an IPA.
I’m not a big coffee drinker, mainly because of the calories. I joke that I like mine 1/3 coffee, 1/3 milk, 1/3 sugar… but that’s not too far off. 😆 So it’s something I mainly drink at home. (Dad’s almost a barista.)

Out & about, the coffees I usually get are either chilled/frozen (like Starbucks’ Mocha Frappuccino or something akin to a slush) or alcoholic (usually a coffee liqueur, Café Oscar or something similar).

Tea, OTOH, I drink all the damn time.

Remove ads