Cookin again

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
So we taste-tested a few commercial pork sausages for the beefless gumbo, although I couldn’t find a chorizo when I was looking. Eventually, we decided on 2 different “Andouilles”: one from Holmes (kind of smoky like the beef country sausages we use) and Aidell’s (spicier links, but not as spicy as my home-made Louisiana hot sausage).

Bonus: we discovered we liked the pork Dietz & Watson Bratwursts, and will probably buy them again. Not what we’re looking for in a gumbo, but tasty.

Zardnaar

Legend
Scottish baps this week. Wife likes these stles of meals so been eating them a lot.

Bowl oh salad.

IMG_20210916_171958.jpg

IMG_20210916_173309.jpg

With the beef on the baps.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Went grocery shopping today for a few things I needed for the weekend, and decided to start finalizing the acquisition of ingredients for the altered gumbo.

…only to find that the store I was in had the BRANDS of sausage I wanted, but not the actual KINDS. So I bought one more andouille from yet another brand to try, and tasted it tonight. It, too, would work.

So now, I have 3 pork sausage options for when I get the green light to cook the meal.

Zardnaar

Legend
Had a Turkish lam salad tonight for dinner. Around $8 usd lamb, rice, and various salads.

Fine dining at Turkish street food place.

Beautiful lamb just melted in my mouth. I like how the Turks roast it vs our bleah lamb.

Zardnaar

Legend
Containment might fail here. Aucklands on 79.9% first dose vaccine, 80.1 Wellington (capital). and my cities 78.5%.

Doubles doses are lower but it at least indicates willing people.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I’m cooking a bit more than usual. Not only is my maternal aunt still hobbled a bit from post-surgical recovery of one arm, my paternal aunt’s fiancée (a damn good cook himself) just had a big surgery himself. So I’m supplying meals to 3 households- not daily, but often.

The big ask in that regard is filling in for the fiancées meals. His strength in the kitchen is his beans. Red, white..it doesn’t matter, he does them extremely well. And while I think my reds are better (of course), his are so good as makes no difference, and he makes a broader variety, AND he makes them frequently. Most of the time, everyone in the family has at least 1-2 containers of his beans in the freezer. But he’s been sick for a while, so everyone was out.

So I cooked up 2lbs of reds, but ALSO my first EVER batch of whites. So far, so good on the early reviews.

Zardnaar

Legend
Went out again. Still close to lockdown half expecting another one.

Beef rendang curry. Bok Choy and spring onions.

IMG_20210922_175411.jpg

Not a big fan of Thai curries generally due to the coconut cream. This one was nice.

And some chicken wings.

IMG_20210922_175418.jpg

Sticky date pudding.

Attachments

• IMG_20210922_181825.jpg
    IMG_20210922_181825.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 56

Remove ads