Cookin again

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
After attempting and failing (for a variety of reasons) to get our first taste of Puerto Rican food, today Mom & I finally got a taste of part of our heritage.

Because we were eating on the run, it was simple appetizers as a culinary introduction again. In this case, it was beef empanadas, shrimp empanadas, fried sweet plantains, and we split a pastry.

Last things first: the pastry resembled a simple glazed twist donut, but had at least as much in common with a cheese danish. Not for dessert fans who want super-sweet stuff- this had a good balance. The glaze was honey based, and the cheese filling was slightly sweet and slightly savory.

The sweet plantains were also tasty, but unlike some we’ve had from other Caribbean/Central American/South American cuisines, these were not buttered and sugared before cooking. No cinnamon, either. Instead, they let the fruit speak for itself.

Finally, the empanadas. Gotta say, these were excellent. The crust was more like I’m used to in American fruit hand pies, kinda buttery and flakey, as opposed to the ones we get at Colombian restaurants (usually a hard but tasty corn-based shell, akin to what you’d find on an American corny dog). Whoever made those crusts knows how to bake, and the fillings were first rate, too. The shrimp one had a tomato sauce, onions and other bits in there with the cocktail shrimp, and the ground beef ones were kind of like a really good meatloaf or pot roast.

(No pix, because it’s impossible to balance food in your lap and take good pix in a car.)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
HOWEVER…here’s pix of the aforementioned stuff I cooked for the fam recently. Because I was cooking for 7 AND wanted leftovers, all of the cooking was big batches.

These are the red beans, just before I put them in the fridge for the evening.
ure8vlQ.jpg

Here’s the white beans, served with some lemon pepper wings Mom wanted from Wing Stop.
RZVaC9S.jpg

This is a really jazzed up version of taco soup. In addition to the usual ground meat and Louisiana hot sausage, I added some leftover roast beef medallions & gravy from the freezer, as well as the ribs from that roast I did just a few days before. This is one of the last three servings from that meal, with one of the ribs serving as a divider in the bowl.
FxirIJh.jpg

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Would give the non seafood ones a shot.
They also made a chicken one we didn’t try. Maybe next time!

But we’re also looking at the other stuff, too. The alcapurrias look like torpedo-shaped versions of the Colombian empanadas we’re used to. Their sandwiches look like they’re hot & pressed, like cubans often are.

And I’m going to have to hit this place without Mom (because of Covid fears) so I can dine in and try the messier-looking dishes.

Zardnaar

Legend
They also made a chicken one we didn’t try. Maybe next time!

But we’re also looking at the other stuff, too. The alcapurrias look like torpedo-shaped versions of the Colombian empanadas we’re used to. Their sandwiches look like they’re hot & pressed, like cubans often are.

And I’m going to have to hit this place without Mom (because of Covid fears) so I can dine in and try the messier-looking dishes.

I'm not super familiar with all of the terminology but it sounded nice.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I can clarify. Just guessing…

You’d like empanadas. They’re a kind of fried or baked hand pie common all across South & Central America, and parts of the Caribbean. Most of them are half circles about 4-6” long, and about 3” across. They’re usually stuffed with savory fillings, but some can be sweet.

Corn/Corny Dogs are hot dogs on a skewer, dipped in a batter, and fried.

A Cuban sandwich is a hot sandwich typically made with ham, pulled pork, mustard, pickles, cheese and other goodies that has been pressed (flattened). The sandwic at Adobo looked like close cousins, but made with meads other than pork.

Zardnaar

Legend
They kind of look like fried dumplings here. I'm guessing different fillings.

We can get similar sandwich to that Cuban one here. Not overly common though.

Zardnaar

Legend
There's a classic dish here called "meat with chips". Kinda similar to loaded fries but you go to a Turkish place and can order meat off the kebab and it's put in top of a pile of fries.

IMG_20210923_175121.jpg

More of a tossed chicken salad iskander style on cut up it's with the chips on top of that.

And a variation
IMG_20210924_174716.jpg

It's Friday don't judge me.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Friends gone hiking in the mountains. On his way home via a small town that does awesome pies.

IMG-95bb8fa950c54c6c0d685ce5c7651592-V.jpg

Anything tempting Danny? I'm ordering Chicken and Chorizo, Beef and Blue cheese while the wife is ordering pumpkin, spinach and ricotta and the beef and smokey cheddar pies.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Friends gone hiking in the mountains. On his way home via a small down that does awesome pies.

View attachment 144352

Anything tempting Danny? I'm ordering Chicken and Chorizo, Beef and Blue cheese while the wife is ordering pumpkin, spinach and ricotta and the beef and smokey cheddar pies.
I was out to a late night snack with a buddy who hasn’t been around in almost a month. Sorry!

I’d have been sorely tempted by the beef & blue cheese (in fact, we shared an appetizer of bacon-wrapped flatiron skewers with a blue cheese dip), the brisket and pork belly as 1, 2 & 3. Spinach would have been a close 4th or higher…if it didn’t have pumpkin.

I don’t dislike pumpkin, but I’m REALLY picky about it. Mostly, I eat it in soups or dessert pies.

Remove ads