Cookin again

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Huh. The two Indian restaurants we frequent A) both survived COVID (so far)…
Like I said, those 2 closed before COVID. One was on its second run in a location it had been in and closed for being badly mismanaged, and they hadn’t learned anything when they reopened. Good food, bad business.

The other was part of a small international chain, and something within the chain killed them off. They closed in 2017.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Today I am making cheap and easy shredded chicken enchiladas.

Takes 5 hours. Makes 10-12 enchiladas depending on how fat you want ’em.

2 big chicken breasts (about 2-3 pounds).
2 28-ounce cans of La Victoria enchilada sauce.
Diced spicy peppers to taste.
Diced olives.
Tortillas.
Cheese.

Drop the chicken in a slow cooker for 4 hours on high (or 8 hours on low) with 1/3 of the sauce. Once they’re done you can spend 20-30 minutes shredding them by hand…or, if you have a stand mixer, drop them in there with the paddle attachment and put it on low for 2-3 minutes.

Add in 1/3 of the remaining sauce, peppers, olives, and some cheese. Mix. Fill tortillas. Line ’em up in an oven-safe glass baking dish, smother with the remaining sauce, top with cheese. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Let them cool for 5-10 minutes before eating.

Zardnaar

Legend
How common is lamb in gyro and kofta?

Checking the online menus, the Greek/Italian restaurant near our house says the Gyro are lamb from the menu. The Middle Eastern one on campus has beef kofta.

In NZ our equivalent of gyros and every Greek place has lamb as an option.

Favorite hole In wall Turkish shish.

Greek places closed but usually beeline for it travelling to Christchurch.

Dimitris Greek Food – Eat Souvlaki in Christchurch

Favorite Greek spot. Just down from where I had Prince of Persia which was Persian/Afghani.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Be anything appealing at this Fish and Chip shop Americans?

Menu. $1 NZD approx 0.6 USD.
IMG_20221230_173835.jpg

Chicken burger with cheese and bacon.

IMG_20221230_174808.jpg

And the Fish and Chips. 3 fish, 3 scoops.

IMG_20221230_174714.jpg

So fish and chips, burgers, Chinese all same spot.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Be anything appealing at this Fish and Chip shop Americans?

Menu. $1 NZD approx 0.6 USD.
View attachment 270821
No idea what a squid ring is (calamari?) or a pineapple ring is. Curry rolls and chop suey patties are also mysterious, but sound intriguing.

Honestly, I wouldn't want the burgers, since it'd probably taste off to me and I can get them/make them myself. I'd much rather go for the mysterious-but-intriguing dishes.

Zardnaar

Legend
No idea what a squid ring is (calamari?) or a pineapple ring is. Curry rolls and chop suey patties are also mysterious, but sound intriguing.

Honestly, I wouldn't want the burgers, since it'd probably taste off to me and I can get them/make them myself. I'd much rather go for the mysterious-but-intriguing dishes.

Squid ring is a battered ring of calamari cut from the "tube" of squid.

Pineapple ring is a battered pineapple ring deep fried.

Curry roll is a fried spring roll with curry in it.

Chop suey patty is chop suey in pattie form deep fried.

Remove ads