• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cookin again

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
There's a restaurant near me that's Indian/Italian (for complicated plotty reasons) and the only fusion items they make are curry pizzas. Sometime when I'm not going to be sharing with my wife, I'll be curious and try the vindaloo pizza; I expect it to be either a trainwreck or a thing of beauty.
Do it!

I was surprised when our aforementioned Indian-owned pizza place opened and started selling some pizzas with Indian ingredients. The few I’ve tried were pretty good.

But I shouldn’t have been blindsided. Indian cuisine has a lot of flatbreads, and both paratha and parotta are used to make pizza-like foods.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Do it!

I was surprised when our aforementioned Indian-owned pizza place opened and started selling some pizzas with Indian ingredients. The few I’ve tried were pretty good.

But I shouldn’t have been blindsided. Indian cuisine has a lot of flatbreads, and both paratha and parotta are used to make pizza-like foods.
Oh, their chicken tikka masala pizza is quite good. I'm just less sure about the flavor of vindaloo working in the context. I should probably try their vindaloo, before I try their vindaloo pizza.

Jahydin

Hero
We had a Domino’s pizza for dinner tonight- the first in a couple decades.

Honestly, it wasn’t bad, but I wouldn’t compare it favorably to the pies by my favorite places.
I think Dominos is pretty fantastic considering their price point ($9.99 for a medium Specialty Pizza here). Even better, a few years ago you used to be able to order a Specialty at a discount, then swap the toppings for free. Made ordering crazy combos less of a risk, but sadly they don't do that anymore... :cry:

Oh, and make sure you're ordering online and paying attention to the hidden charges. Most pizza companies treat ordering a pizza like a game now and it's frustrating. Pay attention to how much "extra" toppings are ($2.00 each for a medium here!), toppings that are "Specialty" like Salami (extra $.75), and hidden costs for delivery (sometimes picking up the same pizza is half the price!). This is done by carefully selecting the right coupons and not "coloring out of the lines". It's tedious, but will save so much money.

Oh, and there is a little box in the Special Instructions tab that lets you bake Well Done. Make sure to check this if you order lots of toppings or the pizzas are being delivered undercooked (as most stores will do with Pan Style).

Some of my favorites if you're adventurous (many from former workers I found online):
Brooklyn crust, BBQ Sauce, Cheddar, Bacon, Beef, and Onion.
Pan w Alfredo, Beef, and Pineapple.
Thin crust w/garlic parm, bacon, jalapeños, banana peppers, and sausage.

Zardnaar

Legend
I think Dominos is pretty fantastic considering their price point ($9.99 for a medium Specialty Pizza here). Even better, a few years ago you used to be able to order a Specialty at a discount, then swap the toppings for free. Made ordering crazy combos less of a risk, but sadly they don't do that anymore... :cry:

Oh, and make sure you're ordering online and paying attention to the hidden charges. Most pizza companies treat ordering a pizza like a game now and it's frustrating. Pay attention to how much "extra" toppings are ($2.00 each for a medium here!), toppings that are "Specialty" like Salami (extra $.75), and hidden costs for delivery (sometimes picking up the same pizza is half the price!). This is done by carefully selecting the right coupons and not "coloring out of the lines". It's tedious, but will save so much money.

Oh, and there is a little box in the Special Instructions tab that lets you bake Well Done. Make sure to check this if you order lots of toppings or the pizzas are being delivered undercooked (as most stores will do with Pan Style).

Some of my favorites if you're adventurous (many from former workers I found online):
Brooklyn crust, BBQ Sauce, Cheddar, Bacon, Beef, and Onion.
Pan w Alfredo, Beef, and Pineapple.
Thin crust w/garlic parm, bacon, jalapeños, banana peppers, and sausage.

Dominoes was doing pizza here for $5 NZD or $3 usd approx. Pick up only basic flavors eg pepperoni.

Think you can only get 1-2 flavors now at that price but it was cheaper than fish and chips. Probably only Monday lunch or something.

I don't mind it for its price. A lot of more expensive pizza isn't worth the extra dollars.

We switched to pizza hut for cheap pizza as they do a good stuffed crust combo 2 pizzas and sizes plus stuffed crust for $15 usd pick up. One of the pizzas had to be value range but they do a couple of good ones eg pepperoni.

Otherwise once a month we go to local place and get pizza there.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Pizza Hut NZ stuffed crust.
20230527_183703.jpg

Pepperoni

20230527_183711.jpg

Beef, bacon caramelized onion. With garlic bread and fries it was around $16 usd pick up.

Very good for what it is.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I don't mind it for its price. A lot of more expensive pizza isn't worth the extra dollars.
Yeah, price is definitely not a guarantee of quality.

I’ve tried more than a few higher end pizzerias I’ll never go back to. But when you find one that can justify the prices? OMG!

Thing is, my personal preferences in pizza are no longer well represented in the restaurant biz here in Texas. As a kid, I always preferred those thick crust ones where the sauce started to soak in. It was almost like the pizza was made on a layer of garlic bread. You’d bite into it, and the garlic butter and tomato sauce would ooze out…. The toppings almost didn’t matter.🤣

Zardnaar

Legend
Yeah, price is definitely not a guarantee of quality.

I’ve tried more than a few higher end pizzerias I’ll never go back to. But when you find one that can justify the prices? OMG!

Thing is, my personal preferences in pizza are no longer well represented in the restaurant biz here in Texas. As a kid, I always preferred those thick crust ones where the sauce started to soak in. It was almost like the pizza was made on a layer of garlic bread. You’d bite into it, and the garlic butter and tomato sauce would ooze out…. The toppings almost didn’t matter.🤣

Alit of over priced pizza that's nothing special. Our favorite "Italian" place does reasonably priced pizza that's reasonably good.

They also have a special mist early weekdays which is when we go out (usually Tuesday)

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Summer is coming in the north.

State Fair Lemonade.
6 lemons
3/4 cup of sugar
4 cups boiling water
1 cup lemon juice
1 cup ice plus extra to serve

Thoroughly wash and dry the lemons.

Using a vegetable peeler, gently peel the zest of the lemons into a large bowl. Try to avoid the bitter white pith beneath the zest.

Put the peeled lemons aside.

Put the lemon peels in a large sealable glass jar. Pour the sugar over the lemon peels. Stir well, cover, and let the mixture rest at least 2 hours or overnight.

Juice the lemons (yields approximately 1 cup of juice).

The lemon peel and sugar mixture should look wet at this point. Pour 4 cups of boiling water over the sugar and lemon peel mixture. Stir to dissolve all the sugar. Allow to cool to room temperature.

Strain the peels from the lemon syrup. Add 1 cup of ice. Add the lemon juice.

Chill the lemonade for a couple of hours and serve over plenty of ice.

We usually do bags of 16-20 lemons in a go, which yields a bit more than a gallon of lemonade.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Took a stab at doing a Philly Cheesesteak casserole. It came out pretty good, but there’s definitely room for improvement.

Bonus: the meat/cheese/mushroom/onion/garlic mix would probably also make a good stuffing for larger mild peppers, like poblanos, Anaheims, and the trusty bell pepper.

Remove ads