• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cookin again

Zardnaar

Legend
Use an egg-rich bread like brioche or challah. If you can snag challah during Rosh Hashanah, you'll find it comes with raisins - this makes the best French toast imo. If you're feeling super indulgent, use chocolate babka.

Use bread that's a day or a couple of days old. It cuts more easily, and is more absorptive.

Cut bread thick - an inch or more. For two slices, beat together 4 eggs, 1/4t cinnamon, 1/4c white sugar and 1c full fat milk. Pour into a baking dish, and place the bread in it. After it's absorbed half of the liquid, turn it over.

Wait till it's absorbed everything. Don't rush it. Wait 15 mins or so.

In a medium skillet on medium heat, melt plenty of butter - plenty. Wait until it starts to foam. Use a fish slice or flat spatula to place the French toast in it (it will be soggy), and resist the urge to turn it until it's well-browned. Flip it over with a fish slice and repeat with the other side. Add more butter to the pan - it will be necessary.

If you feel the need of a deep Maillard reaction and for the sugar in the batter to caramelize - I do - flip it a couple more times.

To serve, sieve powder sugar over, drown in maple syrup, and garnish with Chantilly cream and fresh strawberries.

Set your diabetes meter to 10.

I meant that as in I don't like the taste.

And yeah it's just a calorie bomb.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Just realized I hadn’t posted anything recently.

Did a beef stew a couple weeks ago:

Did a prime rib roast and a hot sausage dressing earlier this week:

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
Make them with apple juice instead of water, and add cinnamon. It's less sugar than adding my usual scoop of brown sugar, and has more flavor.
I tried this today with unsweetened apple juice, though it was straight cold pressed apples with no water added, so maybe more a cider than juice? I liked it, but it was very, very sweet. Nearly apple pie sweet. I need to balance things out a bit, but I'm curious to try again.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Izze is a brand of fruit juices with few additives. Essentially it’s watered down about 70/30…but they use a carbonated water for dilution.

Personally, I love them, but they’re pricey, so I don’t buy them often. When I DO buy them, I buy clementine, blackberry, or apple.

Zardnaar

Legend
I think that's going to be a necessity here. It just didn't occur to me that the heat would've brought out so much of the sweetness, though it seems obvious it would in hindsight.

Mostly
Izze is a brand of fruit juices with few additives. Essentially it’s watered down about 70/30…but they use a carbonated water for dilution.

Personally, I love them, but they’re pricey, so I don’t buy them often. When I DO buy them, I buy clementine, blackberry, or apple.

I don't drink Soda or fruit juice that much. Local cornerstone has been running a special. Buy a pie/product from xyz get a free can of drink.

It's a Korean can of juice or something. Aloe Vera, mango, pomegranate, black current flavourful. $1.20 full price.

Note half bad and low in calories.

20231223_234436.jpg

Wasn't allowed Soda as a kid. Rare treat options were milk, water cordial. Never really developed a taste for it enjoy 2 or 3 flavors vanilla coke. Deep spring lemon a d lime sparkling duet that's about it.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Mostly

I don't drink Soda or fruit juice that much. Local cornerstone has been running a special. Buy a pie/product from xyz get a free can of drink.

It's a Korean can of juice or something. Aloe Vera, mango, pomegranate, black current flavourful. $1.20 full price.

Note half bad and low in calories.

View attachment 341264

Wasn't allowed Soda as a kid. Rare treat options were milk, water cordial. Never really developed a taste for it enjoy 2 or 3 flavors vanilla coke. Deep spring lemon a d lime sparkling duet that's about it.
I gave up soft drinks cold turkey in 1986, and replaced that with unsweetened iced tea. That helped me lose 50lbs in 1 semester. I didn’t have another one until Coke Zero & similar newest generation sodas got released, and even those are relegated to only a few a week.

As for fruit juices, the only ones I drank in any appreciable amounts were orange juice & tomato juice. I sometimes had some cranberry, pineapple, strawberry/pineapple, or banana/strawberry/pineapple, but it was pretty rare. Apple was something I’d have pretty much only when sick.

It wasn’t because I disliked them, though. It was because I’d drink them- OJ included- like water, and that’s a lot of calories.

These days, tomato juice is the only fruit juice I keep on hand. All the others are relegated almost exclusively to road trips, dining out or holiday meals, and even then, I’m more likely to drink unsweetened tea.

But Izze is 70/30 juice & soda water, which cuts the calories a bit. So I buy a 4-pack or two every few months.

Zardnaar

Legend
I gave up soft drinks cold turkey in 1986, and replaced that with unsweetened iced tea. That helped me lose 50lbs in 1 semester. I didn’t have another one until Coke Zero & similar newest generation sodas got released, and even those are relegated to only a few a week.

As for fruit juices, the only ones I drank in any appreciable amounts were orange juice & tomato juice. I sometimes had some cranberry, pineapple, strawberry/pineapple, or banana/strawberry/pineapple, but it was pretty rare. Apple was something I’d have pretty much only when sick.

It wasn’t because I disliked them, though. It was because I’d drink them- OJ included- like water, and that’s a lot of calories.

These days, tomato juice is the only fruit juice I keep on hand. All the others are relegated almost exclusively to road trips, dining out or holiday meals, and even then, I’m more likely to drink unsweetened tea.

But Izze is 70/30 juice & soda water, which cuts the calories a bit. So I buy a 4-pack or two every few months.

One reason I font drink much soda. Two cans in several months at D&D. One of them was a mate shouting me one.

Haven't put siger on drinks for 7 or 8 years now.

My weakness is savory.

Remove ads