Cookin again

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I don't see anything in it that'd be anything like too hot for me--and I have intentionally kinda not made any effort to adjust my palate or preferences for hotter food, because my wife cannot do so. She suggests some chipotles might be hotter than others, and some chili powders will be hotter than others.

Zardnaar

Legend
Easter treats.
20240401_100730.jpg

NZ supermarkets have bakeries in them. These are store bought. And these ones are very good no point making your own tbh.

Post Easter.
20240402_174145.jpg

Back to rabbit food. Light dinner. 10kg to go to 1990s weight.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
We did chicken in green chili sauce tonight. Pretty basic but tasty as hell.

1 lbs of chicken breast
4 cups chicken stock
1 tbsp oil
5 tomatillos, remove the outer leaves and the stems
4 gloves of garlic
4 serrano chiles, membrane and seeds removed
4 sprigs of cilantro
salt to taste

Put the chicken and the stock in a slow cooker on high for 4 hours. Flip the chicken every hour.

When the chicken's done set it aside and let it rest for 20 minutes. Reserve the cooking liquid.

Put the tomatillos into a pot and cover with the cooking liquid from the chicken. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce to low. Let it simmer for 15 minutes.

Remove the tomatillos with a slotted spoon and put them into a blender. Reserve the cooking liquid. Add the garlic, chiles, and cilantro to the blender. Blend until smooth.

Add the oil to a pan over medium-low heat. Add the tomatillo mixture and cook for 10 minutes. Stirring occasionally. Taste it and add salt to taste.

Shred the chicken and add to the pan. Add cooking liquid as necessary to make it saucy.

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Tonight we made a very simple, very delicious bean soup.

White Bean & Garlic Soup

Ingredients:
  • 3 cans white cannellini beans
  • 4 cloves of garlic. minced
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flake
  • Red wine vinegar, salt, and black pepper to taste
Instructions:
  1. Puree one can of the beans (along with its liquid) with an immersion blender.
  2. Drain the other two cans of beans, and set aside.
  3. Heat the oil in a medium soup pot.
  4. Fry the garlic for a minute or two, until fragrant.
  5. Add the other ingredients, and bring to a boil.
  6. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes or until slightly thickened.
  7. Season with salt, pepper, and vinegar to taste.
  8. Serve with hot crusty bread and a cold beer.
1000007373.jpg

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Tomorrow or Wednesday, I’m going to be doing a “cajunized” version on Hungarian goulash/mushroom soup. I’m going to work from a typical recipe from one or the other- or both- and add extra meat in the form of Louisiana hot sausage.

Old Fezziwig

What this book presupposes is -- maybe he didn't?
Tonight was my turn to cook, so I decided to make the Indian Chicken and Cilantro Stew in Milk Street's Fast and Slow (pp 152-53). A question, as experienced cooks, do y'all have any recommendations for a way to shred chicken that doesn't feel like it's punishment? It feels like penance for something I didn't realize I did -- five "Our Fathers," three "Hail Marys," and shred two pounds of chicken.

Remove ads