Cookin again

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Well, this is a public forum, so I would hate to be indiscreet. The exchange of goods for services worked, it's just probably the oddest conversation I've ever had.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Well, this is a public forum, so I would hate to be indiscreet. The exchange of goods for services worked, it's just probably the oddest conversation I've ever had.

I can see someone being willing to [illegal] in exchange for cooking lessons, especially curry. I have a very basic recipe my wife got from an Indian friend while she was in grad school; I wouldn't claim that our current approach to it is particularly authentic, but we like it fine.

I'd be kinda pleased/honored if someone wanted to exchange something for my cooking, or my teaching them cooking. It's genuinely kinda cool.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Authentic is overrated sometimes. I have a cookbook with a great authentic recipe for Tandoori chicken. Sadly you need a full sized clay tandoor oven to make it. The book helpfully suggests that if you don't have a tandoor you should visit your local potter. Needless to say what I have is workarounds. :p

prabe

Supporter
Authentic is overrated sometimes. I have a cookbook with a great authentic recipe for Tandoori chicken. Sadly you need a full sized clay tandoor oven to make it. The book helpfully suggests that if you don't have a tandoor you should visit your local potter. Needless to say what I have is workarounds. :p

Yeah. My feeling is that authentic is nice, if you can manage it, but inauthentic isn't necessarily an insult. My own cooking is ... heavily hybridized.

I definitely would be inclined to go with a workaround, rather than buying a tandoor. At least for how I cook and otherwise live.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Yeah, I live in the Canadian Arctic, so the availability of some spices and whatnot is really limited. I wanted to try out some Ethiopian dishes but just couldn't source some of the key ingredients. Same goes for any non-standard produce - I'll never find it.

I've had good success using a charcoal grill for most tandoor tasks. lt makes awesome Naan bread.

prabe

Supporter
Yeah, I live in the Canadian Arctic, so the availability of some spices and whatnot is really limited. I wanted to try out some Ethiopian dishes but just couldn't source some of the key ingredients. Same goes for any non-standard produce - I'll never find it.

I've had good success using a charcoal grill for most tandoor tasks. lt makes awesome Naan bread.

My wife is going to insist we try naan on the charcoal grill, if I suggest it.

I'm sure you've looked into this--you're far enough north of the Great Snow Wall it might not work--but have you tried something like Penzey's or Spice House? This might not (or it might, I guess) be the best time to start ...

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
My wife is going to insist we try naan on the charcoal grill, if I suggest it.
It's great. I'd recommend it. The grill was also my solution to making jerk chicken that tasted 'right'. A smoker would be better there, but they aren't worth trying to use up here most months.
I'm sure you've looked into this--you're far enough north of the Great Snow Wall it might not work--but have you tried something like Penzey's or Spice House? This might not (or it might, I guess) be the best time to start ...
I probably will end up going that direction. Shipping to where I live is friggin' ridiculous though, so I'm very picky-choosy about ordering stuff I can't get shipped for free (thank you Amazon). I mostly try to stock up when I'm south on vacation.

prabe

Supporter
I probably will end up going that direction. Shipping to where I live is friggin' ridiculous though, so I'm very picky-choosy about ordering stuff I can't get shipped for free (thank you Amazon). I mostly try to stock up when I'm south on vacation.

Yeah. As I said, I figured you'd at least looked into it. The two I mentioned both offer excellent stuff, with slightly different selections--if you want to try small jars of stuff, Penzey's offers 1/4 cup jars; Spice House doesn't have anything smaller than 1/2 cup (though they just started offering something they call a "flatpack" which is a bag of some sort--I haven't bought any yet, so I can't say precisely).

Remove ads