Cookin again

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Good thing I went today- Dad’s oyster poboy contained the last oysters they had! Their next shipment comes in some time tomorrow. I might have walked in to find they had none.

(And yes, he made it disappear like a magic trick.)

Zardnaar

Legend
Good thing I went today- Dad’s oyster poboy contained the last oysters they had! Their next shipment comes in some time tomorrow. I might have walked in to find they had none.

(And yes, he made it disappear like a magic trick.)

Would it make you cry to learn you can get lobster, oysters, mussels off the rocks here?

Problem was I don't like seafood espicially shellfish. Varies a bit depending on what's on any particular beach.

Used to collect Paua (Abalone), oysters, mussels as a kid. Bleah. Sisters partner had wetsuit and diving gear.

Went hungry more than once when dinner was seafood pizza or lobster.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Would it make you cry to learn you can get lobster, oysters, mussels off the rocks here?

Problem was I don't like seafood espicially shellfish. Varies a bit depending on what's on any particular beach.

Used to collect Paua (Abalone), oysters, mussels as a kid. Bleah. Sisters partner had wetsuit and diving gear.

Went hungry more than once when dinner was seafood pizza or lobster.
Cry? Nah. Despite being a seafood lover, I’ve spent most of my life faaaaaaaar from the water. I’m used to not necessarily having what I wan’t.

But jealous? YES!

Zardnaar

Legend
I eat vegetarian over fish. Good beaches locally, lagoon and beach 10-15 minutes away.

Just couldn't get into it. Piece of fried battered blue cod/sole or hoki once in a blue moon.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I eat vegetarian over fish. Good beaches locally, lagoon and beach 10-15 minutes away.

Just couldn't get into it. Piece of fried battered blue cod/sole or hoki once in a blue moon.
No shame in that.

My paternal grandfather, despite being a native, lifelong New Orleanean, didn’t particularly care for seafood himself. He preferred a Louisiana-style meat & potatoes diet.

His one exception was oysters on the half shell, which he and his best friend could suck them down in heroic portions. They once got kicked out of an all-you-can-eat seafood bar for depleting the kitchen’s supply. “Your meals are free, but you gotta go now...and don’t come back.”

Zardnaar

Legend
No shame in that.

My paternal grandfather, despite being a native, lifelong New Orleanean, didn’t particularly care for seafood himself. He preferred a Louisiana-style meat & potatoes diet.

His one exception was oysters on the half shell, which he and his best friend could suck them down in heroic portions. They once got kicked out of an all-you-can-eat seafood bar for depleting the kitchen’s supply. “Your meals are free, but you gotta go now...and don’t come back.”

Oysters stupidly expensive here. Fish and Chip shops sometimes sell them.

Hard pressed to find them that's easy to get to now.

Families from the Marlborough sounds, used to be remote so could find them late 90s but Airbnb/tourism ruined it.

School trips to beach Maori friend ate shellfish raw straight off the rocks. Fresh I suppose.

28 second mark used to fish off the jetty. Native Bush covered hills, ocean.

Scramble along the rocks and see what you find.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
In other “news”, the lady selling the bourbon peaches was back at the Farmers’ Market for the first time since the pandemic erupted. She had ‘em, I bought ‘em.

Good thing, too, ‘cause I finished off the last of the jar I had. Up to this point, I’d just put them on the ice cream with pecans and dig in. This time, however, I added chocolate syrup to the mix.

The sundaes without chocolate were damn good. Adding the chocolate? Well, it definitely didn’t ruin it! I can’t say which way I preferred it. It was interesting how the chocolate brought out some of the smokier flavors in the bourbon, but also muted the peaches a little.

Last edited:

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
In other “news”, the lady selling the bourbon peaches was back at the Farmers’ Market for the first time since the pandemic erupted. She had ‘em, I bought ‘em.

Good thing, too, ‘cause I finished off the last of the jar I had. Up to this point, I’d just put them on the ice cream with pecans and dig in. This time, however, I added chocolate syrup to the mix.

The sundaes without chocolate were damn good. Adding the chocolate? Well, ir definitely didn’t ruin it! I can’t say which way I preferred it. It was interesting how the chocolate brought out some of the smokier flavors in the bourbon, but also muted the peaches a little.

Sounds like a different sort of good.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Sounds like a different sort of good.
It really was.

The version sans chocolate was lighter. More...refreshing.

Adding the chocolate seemed more serious. Richer. More...decadent? I imagine a ”chefier“ cook who liked dark chocolate could take this in a truly standout dessert.

Remove ads