Cookin again

raysosher

Ray Sosher
I have never used a green onion ever in my life. How does it taste and even smell?. I am really interested to know. Onions are of two types one are bigger which are from India and some are very small they are from Thailand and also I think the most effective onions are only available in Bangladesh. They are very smelly and you cannot even cut then with open eyes. Your eyes will hurt.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Green onions- especially the green parts- are more herbal flavored than yellows, reds or whites. That part can be substituted for chives most of the time.

The bulbs can still pack a flavor punch like other onions, but typically don’t seem to have as much syn-propanethial-S-oxide in them as the bigger members of the family, so they don’t make your eyes water as much.

Leeks, which look like giant green onions, are much milder and a bit sweeter than their tiny cousins. They won’t make your eyes water at all, but they DO require a lot of rinsing to properly clean them out. The way they grow makes them trap layers of dirt inside.

Zardnaar

Legend
Basic ingredients.

IMG_20200731_172434.jpg

Add chicken.
IMG_20200731_173022.jpg

Chicken falafel wrap.

Hummus, cucumber, tomato, hummus, lettuce, onion, capsicum.

Forgot to add sauce but the hummus and falafel were great.

Bought the falafel off a mate from Jordan. It's his mother's recipe.

Aldarc

Legend
One of my greatest challenges is trying to find the ingredients I need to make either Southern/Soul and Mexican food here in Austria. It took me forever just to find corn meal. And southern veggies like okra, collard greens, black-eyes peas and the like? A veritable nightmare. But I make do with trying to make what I can with what I have.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Southerners- at least those in Louisiana- cook more than just turnip greens. Personally, my faves are turnip greens.

We have a dish called Gumbo Z’herbes which is a combination of gumbo and all kinds of mixed greens. Here’s one of NOLA’s treasures talking about how it’s done:

As for finding ingredients, you might have to see if you can find any ethnic groceries. Online spice shops also exist, but they don’t necessarily ship everywhere.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Made mom a small, simple dinner of a ham & swiss sandwich on toasted roasted garlic bread, served with sides of fresh, sliced campari tomatoes with a dash of sea salt, pitted castlevetrano olives, and some pickled cauliflower. I went to get her a drink, and while my back was turned, she had mixed the sides into a salad. I wish I had thought of that!

And I loaded up on meat at the grocery store today. Picked up a large boneless chuck roast- prefer bone in, but those are rare these days- got a 3 lb corned beef to braise, and a big ol’ slab of ribs. The last 2 are the result of some of Mom’s requesta over the past few weeks.

She was recently opining about how we hadn’t been able to get me a corned beef to cook for St. Patrick’s Day. We had gotten some already cooked, but we all prefer my beer-braised version, but the stores were out when I went shopping. But today, they had it! (Might go back and score another...)

And Mom has wanted to do BBQ ribs on the 4th of July, but only managed to convey to us she wanted BBQ. So the pulled pork, brisket and sausage we had was a slight disappointment. Since garbage day is Monday, I’m going to set them to marinate overnight on Sunday evening. Haven’t decided if I’m going to fire up the grill, smoke them, or do a low & slow oven roast. I may take a house vote.

Damn! I just realized that I haven’t planned anything to eat along with the ribs!

Ulfgeir

Hero
Did an interesting sallad of sorts, where I played with different textures.

Glass-noodles
One finely cut red bell pepper
A red and a green chili. Very finely sliced
Thinly sliced leek
Thin carrot-peelings
3 diced plum tomatoes
Lots of coarsely ground black pepper
A bit of finely chopped fresh ginger
A bit of white wine vinegar
Kikkoman soy sauce
Sweet chili sauce.

And then crisp bread served with it.