Cookin again

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Yep, that’s Le Creuset. Good eye!

The cooking was done covered.

I’ve done the corned beef with a few different, relatively mainstream beers, and they all seem to work. The first time I did it, I used Kirin. It was good, but salty...but that first time, I didn’t soak the meat first.

The results for this method are consistently moist & tender. I can’t recommend it enough. I have lived most of my life hating corned beef, only making it for my Mom, who loves the stuff. I steamed it, I baked it, etc. When I hit upon this idea and served it to her, she stopped after one bite and demanded I try it. I asked her what the problem was. She said that it was some of the best she’d ever had.

I'll keep the recipe in mind. This is a time of year when it's easy to find beers that aren't hops-focused--Oktoberfest-style lagers seem as though they'd play well here. I'm haven't been a big fan of corned beef heretofore, but I'll try it--especially if my wife thinks it seems like a good idea.

As for the Le Creuset, my wife had a couple of their dutch ovens (3-ish and 7-ish quarts, as I think of them) as wedding gifts from a previous marriage. We love them and use them a lot. While they are worth every penny, they are expensive enough that I was happy not to have to pay for them. :)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter

I tried the last of my beer-braised corned beef with some creamy horseradish like I’d use with prime rib. It was pretty tasty, but I think it might have worked better with a little something more added to the horseradish.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter

I tried the last of my beer-braised corned beef with some creamy horseradish like I’d use with prime rib. It was pretty tasty, but I think it might have worked better with a little something more added to the horseradish.

I'm wondering if maybe Dijon-style mustard--laden as it is with horseradish--might have had the "little something more." I use it more as an ingredient than as a condiment, but this seems like a time for it.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm wondering if maybe Dijon-style mustard--laden as it is with horseradish--might have had the "little something more." I use it more as an ingredient than as a condiment, but this seems like a time for it.
That probably would have been fine! I often use Dijon or spicy brown mustards when making corned beef or pastrami sandwiches.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Well, our Noritake dishes arrived, and in the process of unboxing, cleadjng and putting them away, I got some surprises.

They’re heavier than the Mikasa plates they’re replacing. Sizewise, most of them are within millimeters of the sizes of the plates they’re replacing, but the coffee mugs and salad bowls are noticeably larger.

The warranty is nice, too. Register your dishes, and you’re eligible to buy replacements for 50% off. We’re not too tough on our stuff, but accidents DO happen.

The BIG surprise, though, was that Noritake says these dishes are oven safe. That was completely unexpected. I’ve never seen that in everyday dishes. I may contact yhrm directly to find out what they consider the thermal limits are. Not that I intend to put the dishes to the test, but it would be good to know, ESPECIALLY since that could make using the toaster oven a little easier. (And I’ve been wanting to perfect a French Onion soup recipe...)

Zardnaar

Legend
Any suggestions that's not pancakes?

Staff sales at wife's job, picked up cheap.
IMG_20200901_171316.jpg

Very rarely eat maple syrup.

Remove ads