Cookin again

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Maple syrup ...

Use on (or in) ice cream.
Use in a pan sauce if you need a little sweet.
Use anywhere you might use sugar, as a change of pace.

I hear it's nice in coffee, but I haven't tried it (force of habit). I do, however, have a coffee-braised pot roast recipe that gets maple syrup added at the finish, so I'll believe it.

Remember that it needs refrigeration after it's opened, and that it's often nicer warmer. We always warm it before putting it on the table.

Vegetables ...

Since moving to a house with a convection oven, we've become big fans of high-temp roasting for veg. Anywhere from a touch of black to nice and dark, with olive oil, salt, black pepper, and Aleppo pepper.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Maple syrup ...

Use on (or in) ice cream.
Use in a pan sauce if you need a little sweet.
Use anywhere you might use sugar, as a change of pace.

I hear it's nice in coffee, but I haven't tried it (force of habit). I do, however, have a coffee-braised pot roast recipe that gets maple syrup added at the finish, so I'll believe it.

Remember that it needs refrigeration after it's opened, and that it's often nicer warmer. We always warm it before putting it on the table.
I’ve done maple syrup on ice cream. I’ve also used it as a drizzle on certain baked goods I make, as flavor-specific pairings subbing for honey.

Occasionally, agave nectar gets used that way, too.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter

An El Salvadoran chicken tamale
1/2 sliced avocado
4 sliced San Marzano Tomatoes
1 can reduced sodium chicken broth
1 tsp lemon juice

I’m not a huge tamale fan (for many reasons), but we were given some homemade ones recently...with promises of more coming soon. They really weren’t bad- kind of like a spicy chicken soup combined with the texture of matzoh balls. Which gave me this idea.

And I have to say, I could do this again with whatever tamales come my way. As I ate this, it was a tad bland- all of the seasoning came from the tamale- but I could taste the potential. A little more seasoning, maybe some shredded cheese. Possibly some sliced celery.

I also did some internet research and found out the obvious- I’m not the first to try this. There are lots of variants on this out there.

Zardnaar

Legend

An El Salvadoran chicken tamale
1/2 sliced avocado
4 sliced San Marzano Tomatoes
1 can reduced sodium chicken broth
1 tsp lemon juice

I’m not a huge tamale fan (for many reasons), but we were given some homemade ones recently...with promises of more coming soon. They really weren’t bad- kind of like a spicy chicken soup combined with the texture of matzoh balls. Which gave me this idea.

And I have to say, I could do this again with whatever tamales come my way. As I ate this, it was a tad bland- all of the seasoning came from the tamale- but I could taste the potential. A little more seasoning, maybe some shredded cheese. Possibly some sliced celery.

I also did some internet research and found out the obvious- I’m not the first to try this. There are lots of variants on this out there.

Would try, tamales haven't seen them here. Japanese tonight for another birthday night.

Ulfgeir

Hero
Today an experimental pasta-dish...

Chantarelles fried in butter and lots of coarsely ground black peppar, 1 Granny Smith apple chopped in pieces, and fried in butter and lots of cinnamon together with finely sliced red chili. The apple and mushrooms were then mixed with some cold suff: 1 finely chopped yellow bell peppar, Cherry tomatoes and finely cut leek. As sauce red wine winegar and acacia honey. And topped with walnuts.

Attachments

• IMG_20200905_160328.jpg
    IMG_20200905_160328.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 266

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
If it’s good, I don’t care too much if it’s boring. If I’m eating it for the 8th meal in a row, THEN boring becomes an issue.

Several years ago, Mom made a HUGE batch of small banana pecan pancakes. They were very tasty, but after having them several meals in a row, I had to stop. I don’t know if I’ve had tgat kind of pancake since.

And I grew up eating PB & grape jelly sandwiches pretty often. Loved them. So when I went awa for my 1st year of college, my folks got me a 5lb can of Peter Pan and a 3lb jar of Welch’s Concorde Grape jelly. Because of renovations, only one of the school’s fining facilities was open for dinner service, and I kept getting there too late. So I ate a LOT of PB&J sandwiches.

I have not had grape jelly of any kind since 1987.

Remove ads