Cookin again

Zardnaar

Legend
Any suggestions on sexing this up.

IMG_20201117_175017.jpg

Last night's dinner served up with hot tortilla wraps.

One of our default meals, problem is it's my wife's favourite. Tempted to put different sauces, cheese or tabouli or cous cous in it.

Problem being it's really hard to get her to try new stuff.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
@Zardnaar Looks like chicken nuggets with salad or slaw, white rice, and ... what looks like gravy at the top of the pic?

I'm not flooded with ideas at first thought, but I'll let it sit a while.

It's not super-easy cooking for someone who's reluctant to try new stuff. Are there things your wife has strong feelings (for/against) about that aren't in the picture? Maybe you can bring some different flavors to the party or something.

Zardnaar

Legend
@Zardnaar Looks like chicken nuggets with salad or slaw, white rice, and ... what looks like gravy at the top of the pic?

I'm not flooded with ideas at first thought, but I'll let it sit a while.

It's not super-easy cooking for someone who's reluctant to try new stuff. Are there things your wife has strong feelings (for/against) about that aren't in the picture? Maybe you can bring some different flavors to the party or something.

She just really liked it.

It's chicken breast,sliced up and coated, baked on rice with hummus and salad.

If we go out for breakfast 90% of the time she has the same thing. Same at McDonalds, the local fish and chip shop, or the pre D&D Turkish kebab or even Indian dish.

Basically she will try something new via raiding my plate. If she likes it better that's her new favorite thing.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
She just really liked it.

It's chicken breast,sliced up and coated, baked on rice with hummus and salad.

If we go out for breakfast 90% of the time she has the same thing. Same at McDonalds, the local fish and chip shop, or the pre D&D Turkish kebab or even Indian dish.

Basically she will try something new via raiding my plate. If she likes it better that's her new favorite thing
Huh.

That sounds like a pretty decent combination, actually, though I don't think I'd want to do it all the time.

Most of what's crossing my mind is along the lines of browning the meat and building something like sawmill gravy in the pan. Maybe someone else will have an idea that'll work better. Sorry.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Breakfast salad:
0aDPnIc.jpg

Spinach
Sunflower sprouts
Diced celery
Sliced Campari tomatoes
Sliced portobello
Sliced green onions
Slivered smoked Gouda
Sliced ham, turkey & prosciutto roll-ups
Mesquite smoked infused EVOO
Red wine vinegar
Black pepper
Baked eggs seasoned with black pepper & chives

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Any suggestions on sexing this up.

View attachment 128607

Last night's dinner served up with hot tortilla wraps.

One of our default meals, problem is it's my wife's favourite. Tempted to put different sauces, cheese or tabouli or cous cous in it.

Problem being it's really hard to get her to try new stuff.
Sexing it up?

1) personal taste- nothing wrong with what you did- but you don’t have to drizzle the sauce or sauces. You could present them in little ramekins or pool them on the plate- under or adjacent to the chicken. (I’ve used all of these saucing techniques.)

2) add a little something to the rice. Seasonings like parsley or chive would add some color & flavor; sliced/slivered almonds or crushed pecan pieces could add flavors & textures...ESPECIALLY if they were baked/roasted. Lemon and certain kinds of vinegar can also punch up the rice a bit.

3) adding crushed nuts to your breading could also work, as would a simple topping of the roasted nuts on the chicken if it is served whole as opposed to cut up.

4) a lot of the middle eastern places around here add a drizzle of EVOO and a dusting of paprika or a sumac & cayenne pepper mix to top hummus or babaganoush. Again, this adds flavor and visual appeal.

5) you didn’t talk much about the salad, but it can be as much of a star as everything else on the plate. And since it’s a small salad, no harm in being bold. Besides your favorite raw veggies, consider alternatives to your usual dressings. I’m experimenting with homemade vinaigrettes. That ginger dressing Japanese restaurants use might be cool. Or EVOO & vinegar with stronger-flavored ingredients, like a special cheese or some such.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Sexing it up?

1) personal taste- nothing wrong with what you did- but you don’t have to drizzle the sauce or sauces. You could present them in little ramekins or pool them on the plate- under or adjacent to the chicken. (I’ve used all of these saucing techniques.)

2) add a little something to the rice. Seasonings like parsley or chive would add some color & flavor; sliced/slivered almonds or crushed pecan pieces could add flavors & textures...ESPECIALLY if they were baked/roasted. Lemon and certain kinds of vinegar can also punch up the rice a bit.

3) adding crushed nuts to your breading could also work, as would a simple topping of the roasted nuts on the chicken if it is served whole as opposed to cut up.

4) a lot of the middle eastern places around here add a drizzle of EVOO and a dusting of paprika or a sumac & cayenne pepper mix to top hummus or babaganoush. Again, this adds flavor and visual appeal.

5) you didn’t talk much about the salad, but it can be as much of a star as everything else on the plate. And since it’s a small salad, no harm in being bold. Besides your favorite raw veggies, consider alternatives to your usual dressings. I’m experimenting with homemade vinaigrettes. That ginger dressing Japanese restaurants use might be cool. Or EVOO & vinegar with stronger-flavored ingredients, like a special cheese or some such.

Good ideas, salad just very basic lettuce, tomato, capsicum,onion,tomato.

I've seen the middle eastern hummus. Theirs is nicer ours is supermarket fridge.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
“Greek Salad” sandwich
9wTFqrF.jpg

Toasted onion roll
Basil-infused EVOO
Red wine vinegar
Spinach
Feta Cheese
Pickled red onion