Cookin again

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Mirliton, aka chayote squash

Prep your mirliton/chayote squash by parboiling, cooling, peeling, putting, dicing and draining it of excess liquid. Draining it is often a combination of pressing it and baking it in your oven or similar appliance.

Note: the large seed is edible, but not right for this dish.

Chop 2lbs of bacon or ham, and sauté. Deglaze your pan and add the diced garlic and leeks to the pan. (Onion is more traditional, but leeks work just as well.)

Add your squash to the pot, along with a stick of butter, chicken broth, bay leaf (3+), salt, black and red pepper, thyme, parsley. Cook on low/med heat until the squash is relatively tender- soft enough that most pieces can be cut or mashed with your cooking spoon.

After the squash has softened, add your peeled, cleaned shrimp (2lbs this time, fully thawed) to the pot, stir well, cover and turn off. Let sit for 10 minutes. The shrimp will be MOSTLY but not completely cooked.

Turn heat back on low, adding another stick of butter and 2 bags of bread crumbs- we usually use Pepperidge Farms- and fold it in thoroughly. Feel free to add more broth if resulting dish is too dry.

When the butter is melted and the shrimp are just about done, turn off and serve.

Zardnaar

Legend
Kurdish shish. He gave me all the hummus as he likes me taking the D&D group to his place.

IMG_20201125_175733.jpg

Couple of falafel everything on top of salad.

Not much more than a McDonald's large combo. Alot of sauce.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Our replacement oven- and microwave- will be coming in early March 2021. That is NOT a typo. Foreign & domestic brands alike have seen C19 related slowdowns in both parts manufacturing and product assembly factories. When we placed our order in mid-November, the soonest we could get anything that worked for our kitchen was mid-December. So we figured if we were going to be waiting regardless, we might as well get exactly what we wanted.

Alas, we can’t do anything like a pit oven. The only level parts of our yard are either paved or have stone walking paths thro them. And that ignores the irrigation and drainage systems, power lines, and fiber-optic cables that run underneath...

OTOH, I have a cooktop in our kitchen island, lots of cooking appliances, 2 BBQs, and annelectric smoker- mostly underutilized. So I‘m going to have to expand my skillset a bit. Boo-hoo!

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
OTOH, I have a cooktop in our kitchen island, lots of cooking appliances, 2 BBQs, and annelectric smoker- mostly underutilized. So I‘m going to have to expand my skillset a bit. Boo-hoo!
I had been thinking you were getting a replacement range, which would have meant you were sans both oven/s and cooktop, which would have been ... extremely rough. Sounds as though you have enough to get by for a while, though.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
m4bsdH0.jpg

Last week, I did ribeye steaks, sautéed mushrooms, and baked Brussels sprouts for me & my folks. It was a bit surprising because 2 things happened that NEVER happen: Dad enjoyed the sprouts, and Mom actually asked for seconds on the ‘shrooms.

This was snapped a minute or do before putting the last of the leftovers into the toaster oven for warming.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
j4AAWSo.jpg

Finally got the sole picture of the thanksgiving dinner from our guest- this is basically what our meal looked like for us. That’s cajun fried turkey, glazed ham, mirliton (aka chayote squash), oyster dressing, mustard greens and white rice.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
eJwoFFR.jpg

Usually, I do butts for pulled pork in my oven. But my oven is dead and the replacement won’t be installed until MARCH. And Mom put in a special request because they were on sale for 97¢/lb...

This was just over 8lbs.:D

I could have done it in our smoker, but I’m still getting the hang of it. So I braised it in a Dutch oven on the stovetop for @8 hours.

The result was nearly identical to those I got from the oven. The oven usually delivers a better, crispier crust.

SAjeBhH.jpg

This is a sandwich done with the pork, BBQ sauce and Lebanese garlic spread. Served with Vietnamese pickled carrots and daikon. Not pictured- the Tostitos that hit the plate a few minutes later.

Zardnaar

Legend
eJwoFFR.jpg

Usually, I do butts for pulled pork in my oven. But my oven is dead and the replacement won’t be installed until MARCH. And Mom put in a special request because they were on sale for 97¢/lb...

This was just over 8lbs.:D

I could have done it in our smoker, but I’m still getting the hang of it. So I braised it in a Dutch oven on the stovetop for @8 hours.

The result was nearly identical to those I got from the oven. The oven usually delivers a better, crispier crust.

SAjeBhH.jpg

This is a sandwich done with the pork, BBQ sauce and Lebanese garlic spread. Served with Vietnamese pickled carrots and daikon. Not pictured- the Tostitos that hit the plate a few minutes later.

That's like $3 a kilo here. Cheapest meat is chicken usually about 3 times that price. On special.

Anything else is probably more like $7 usd a pound for hamburger meat.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases