• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cookin again

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
@Dannyalcatraz Y'all have a wall-mount microwave? Or did even countertop units disappear?

My mother-in-law's dishwasher died a final death a while ago, and she is having a hard time getting another one (mainly because she wants a color that is almost out of production).

Our microwave has started to display some ... unanticipated behaviors, from time to time, but we're hoping it can hold on until the supply chains get back to something like rights.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Yeah, ours is a wall mount...ish.

Technically, it’s a unit that can be used either on the countertop or wall mounted. Much like our oven, it slides into a cubbyhole, and there’s a decorative trim to make it look sharp.

prabe

Supporter
Yeah, ours is a wall mount...ish.

Technically, it’s a unit that can be used either on the countertop or wall mounted. Much like our oven, it slides into a cubbyhole, and there’s a decorative trim to make it look sharp.
That still leaves you with dimension constraints.

One of the prior owners of our house (whoever redid the kitchen) built the cabinets over part of the counter to hold an under-the-cabinet microwave. Which ... I dunno that anyone makes those anymore, that aren't also effectively range-hoods, which we don't need there. I'd love to have the microwave off the countertop, but ... oh comma well.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
That still leaves you with dimension constraints.

One of the prior owners of our house (whoever redid the kitchen) built the cabinets over part of the counter to hold an under-the-cabinet microwave. Which ... I dunno that anyone makes those anymore, that aren't also effectively range-hoods, which we don't need there. I'd love to have the microwave off the countertop, but ... oh comma well.
Part of the installation process was a bit of woodwork to open the cubbyhole a bit more. That was unavoidable because the dying unit was so old, they don’t make microwaves that shape anymore.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
@Dannyalcatraz

Our microwave has started to display some ... unanticipated behaviors, from time to time, but we're hoping it can hold on until the supply chains get back to something like rights.
I meant to mention some of ours’ quirks:

• running longer than the timer program
  • turning itself on
  • weird rattles & clanks
  • refusing to turn on

prabe

Supporter
I meant to mention some of ours’ quirks:

• running longer than the timer program
  • turning itself on
  • weird rattles & clanks
  • refusing to turn on
Ours occasionally will start (with the timer showing "00:00") when the door is closed, or stop abruptly mid-program. So far, it hasn't become something we can't live with.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Definitely need to read the manuals. The oven has convection, and the microwave is much more powerful. We’ve already had our first “OOPS!”- Mom’s coffee reheated in about half the time as usual, and a little of it boiled over.😃

prabe

Supporter
Definitely need to read the manuals. The oven has convection, and the microwave is much more powerful. We’ve already had our first “OOPS!”- Mom’s coffee reheated in about half the time as usual, and a little of it boiled over.😃
One of our ovens is a convection oven, and we adore it for roasting veg.

Vael

Legend
I was so focused on making dinner, I didn't take pics. Which is a pity, because I'm feeling quite pleased with myself. I did up pan seared steaks with a red wine mushroom sauce, caramelized onions, roasted vegetables and steamed rice for my Dad's birthday. My Mom called the steaks the best she's ever had.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Sounds delish!

Mom officially requested breakfast for her birthday dinner. Pretty straightforward, in general, but she wants me to dust off some recipes I haven’t done in decades...including some brainstormed variations on the theme.

Nothing too difficult, really, just...a curveball. Like...banana French toast, possibly with a nut & honey topping,

She also is contemplating asking me to bake her cake, but I may escape on the grounds that she wants a layered cake, and I may only have bundt pans at the moment.

Remove ads