Cookin again

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
It was one of my favorites growing up (proof there's no accounting for taste) so when I found a recipe I could adapt, I did. I ended up settling on bison and turkey when we did it for Thanksgiving one year (animals native to North America and all), and I've found that cooking the vegetables helps a lot as far as both shorter baking time and less excess moisture in the meatloaf.

Zardnaar

Legend
This is my first attempt in cooking it in over a decade, and the last time I had some was a meatloaf sandwich at Weinberger’s deli in 2018 or 2019. So it’s not high on my list either.

I think they use sausage meat here and add whatever.

I'll never order it or make it. Kind of like pasta.

Zardnaar

Legend
Game night dinner. Had around 27 people turn up.

Took mates dinner from last week and got them to swap honey sauce for sweet and sour.

IMG_20210324_175319.jpg

Very good. Rarely eat fried chicken but their one was nice and shared with 2 of the players who gave it a thumbs up.

Nice batter and sauce. Fairly basic meal. Wife went with satay beef third time in a row and other two players had duck and chicken noodle soup.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter

Spinach
Romaine lettuce
Campari Tomatoes
Carrots
Castelvetrano Olives
Mushrooms
Green onions
Celery
Avocado
Feta Cheese
Glazed ham chunks
Ground Black pepper
Garlic infused olive oil
Red wine vinegar

Romaine lettuce
Campari Tomatoes
Carrots
Castelvetrano Olives
Turkey salad
Green onions
Avocado
Feta Cheese
Boursin cheese
Glazed ham chunks
Ground Black pepper
Garlic infused olive oil
Ranch dressing

Zardnaar

Legend
Lunch I ate to much. Traditional NZ tucker.

Curry chicken pie and a sausage roll with ketchup.

IMG_20210327_113102.jpg

And I ate the chocolate eclair on the left while the thing on the right is a raspberry cream donut.

IMG_20210327_112850.jpg

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Tonight’s Lenten dinner: Scampi on cavatappi
3eL95B7.jpg

Pretty straightforward sauce, but I did change the pasta to one we prefer and added some sliced white mushrooms.

However, when I was plating, I discovered I didn’t have any Parmesan, nor my usual Parmesan substitute, Parrano. So I shredded some Comté* on there (not pictured).

Fortunately, that’s a pretty good substitute, as it turns out.

* that’s a cheese in the Swiss family.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Went to a high-end restaurant to celebrate a few milestones with my parents, one of Dad’s peers & his wife, and an old HS teacher of mine- all fully vaxxed, FWIW.

The menu was surprisingly small and yet diverse, but had more misses than hits, IMHO. By that, I mean they had several dishes that had some unusual ingredients. The poké, for instance, had chickpeas in it. In the end, I opted for what they called the “steak salad”. I thought I’d be getting some slices of steak on a nice salad. What I got was a whole steak NEXT TO a nice salad.

While I gave to admit it was perfectly cooked, it was a leaner cut than I usually get, so it wasn’t quite as juicy as I prefer. The REAL surprise was the salad- an arugula salad with some kind of house vinaigrette and goat cheese.

In all my life, I’ve only enjoyed arugula at one restaurant, a long gone Irish pub whose cook was a culinary wizard. I have utterly hated it every other time. It always tastes...bitter to me. But this simple salad was brilliant! I killed it. I’m not likely to go back to this place, but if I do, I’ll be looking for that salad.

Perhaps it’s not arugula itself I dislike, but perhaps there are differences in its quality I’m overly sensitive to.

Zardnaar

Legend
Went to a high-end restaurant to celebrate a few milestones with my parents, one of Dad’s peers & his wife, and an old HS teacher of mine- all fully vaxxed, FWIW.

The menu was surprisingly small and yet diverse, but had more misses than hits, IMHO. By that, I mean they had several dishes that had some unusual ingredients. The poké, for instance, had chickpeas in it. In the end, I opted for what they called the “steak salad”. I thought I’d be getting some slices of steak on a nice salad. What I got was a whole steak NEXT TO a nice salad.

While I gave to admit it was perfectly cooked, it was a leaner cut than I usually get, so it wasn’t quite as juicy as I prefer. The REAL surprise was the salad- an arugula salad with some kind of house vinaigrette and goat cheese.

In all my life, I’ve only enjoyed arugula at one restaurant, a long gone Irish pub whose cook was a culinary wizard. I have utterly hated it every other time. It always tastes...bitter to me. But this simple salad was brilliant! I killed it. I’m not likely to go back to this place, but if I do, I’ll be looking for that salad.

Perhaps it’s not arugula itself I dislike, but perhaps there are differences in its quality I’m overly sensitive to.

There's a lot of places I have enjoyed but wouldn't hurry back to.

Usually because friends or family want to go to XYZ. I don't expect a great steak from a seafood restaurant but the have a few token non seafood dishes.

We went to one Japanese place that was nice enough but it's not any better than a student dine and dash place near the gamestore.

If ABC I'd good but XYZis better guess where I'm going?

Foods also really subjective. I'll eat blue cod if I have to but pass on salmon, lobster etc 100% of the time.

Zardnaar

Legend
Nothing to exciting.

In construction chicken wrap before the lettuce is put in.

Just making subtlevrweaks now this week was spinach wrap used along with sweet onion hummus.

IMG_20210328_190653.jpg

Lighting's not the best but it's green. Various vegetables, tabuli, hummus.

Just messing around with various sauces and marinades. Times down the chilli tonight so mild.

Remove ads