Cookin again

Vael

Legend
Made a Bakewell Tart for Easter. Pastry shell, raspberry jam, frangipane filling, and a light glaze. Followed Mary Berry's recipe. I definitely need to practice my pastry, I think I didn't add enough water and the result was difficult to work with. Still, the end result was tasty.

20210403_152458.jpg

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
We’re hosting a small (@10 person) gathering tomorrow, most of the invitees having been fully vaxxed.

I’m doing a caprese salad, a charcuterie board, corn macque choux, and a larger version of that cavitappi shrimp scampi I did last week. I made a cake, which is chilling in the fridge right now.

One aunt is bringing greens and possibly other stuff. Another is bringing a ham, deviled eggs and maybe Mac & cheese.

Zardnaar

Legend
We’re hosting a small (@10 person) gathering tomorrow, most of the invitees having been fully vaxxed.

I’m doing a caprese salad, a charcuterie board, corn macque choux, and a larger version of that cavitappi shrimp scampi I did last week. I made a cake, which is chilling in the fridge right now.

One aunt is bringing greens and possibly other stuff. Another is bringing a ham, deviled eggs and maybe Mac & cheese.

Will the food matter? First social event for a bit?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I think it will. While we have maintained contact with all involved, and even had a couple meals with 1-3 now and again, this will be the first time all of these invitees will have been in the same room since Christmas or so...2019. Even before the lockdown, we were all scaling back, so Dad’s and Mom’s 74th (in Feb, and March, respectively) were very low-key. Their 75ths were likewise, albeit a bit more fun because we could see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Which also means some of these dishes haven’t been shared in that same time period. So the food is as much on show as the faces.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It was a mixed bag tonight. One guest couldn’t make it due to a little food poisoning incident or some such.

My maternal aunt, however, felt insulted that my mom suggested she not tell anyone she hadn’t been able to get vaccinated yet. (Everyone else was fully vaccinated, and the topic never came up anyway.) So not only did she not show up, neither did she allow her (adult) son to attend. This also meant her ham and deviled eggs were a no-show as well, which confused all in attendance.

Especially because she didn’t tell us of the imagined slight until much later via texting Mom, while not answering the several phone calls from her and texts from my Father,

Thank goodness I had prepared what I had, and my paternal aunt brought greens.

Mom found the text after all the other guests had left, and was extreme upset. I’m pissed off for her. I’m also ticked that I was left with only a part of the planned menu available to serve. I honestly don’t know what I’ll say to her the next time I see her.

Venting over irrational petttiness aside, the meal was good and everyone enjoyed themselves.

Zardnaar

Legend
Doh it happens.

Managed to make a burger half cut the other night.

Had an experimental sandwich tonight. Grilled peppered chicken in a sandwich/burger hyprid.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
A BBQ place near me that closed early 2020 (family, not Covid related) made this brilliant grilled chicken sandwich.* The core, of course, was a nicely grilled (probably marinated) chicken breast that had a hint of smoke. They made a jalapeño buttermilk ranch dressing to top it, just spicy enough to let you know something was going on. A little tomato, a little lettuce, a lightly toasted (buttered?) bun and not much else.

It was one of two utterly brilliant things I found on their menu. The other was a Chinese style wonton stuffed with slow-smoked brisket and some kind of creamy cheese sauce.

* The owners were a mixed-race family- she was Chinese, he was a big ol‘ chummy all-american white dude. Both had some cooking skills.

Ulfgeir

Hero
Thinking of doing a dish with Haloumi as a base, and then some of quickly stir-fried veggies. Do I need to pair that with rice/pasta, or would it be filling enough as it is? Any suggestions?

Once I make it, I will post pictures and a recipe of sorts if it turns out ok.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Thinking of doing a dish with Haloumi as a base, and then some of quickly stir-fried veggies. Do I need to pair that with rice/pasta, or would it be filling enough as it is? Any suggestions?

Once I make it, I will post pictures and a recipe of sorts if it turns out ok.
It would depend on cheese/veg ratios and serving portions, but it sounds like the core of a good main or side dish. Maybe a shareable appetizer.

Or...a light lunch meal like a “hot salad”.

Tell us more!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases