Cookin again

Ulfgeir

Hero
It would depend on cheese/veg ratios and serving portions, but it sounds like the core of a good main or side dish. Maybe a shareable appetizer.

Or...a light lunch meal like a “hot salad”.

Tell us more!

Well, it would include some stuff that will be a bit of a sweet base, then some balsamic/red wine vinegar vinegar for acidity, walnuts for bitterness...The halloumi itself for saltyness... Will see when I feel like making it.

As for ingredients I had planned on halloumi cut into thin slices, yellow/orange bellpeppers, small sweet tomatoes, some finely chopped leeks, some finely chopped red chili, and coarsely ground black pepper, and garnishing with garden cress.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You might want some crunch besides the walnuts. Celery, bamboo shoots, jicama or water chestnuts, perhaps. Or some toasted seeds.

And something like radish to give it a little zing.

That said, to answer your ORIGINAL question, I don’t think rice would hurt the dish, but it may not help it that much, either, depending. If it’s stir-fried with the veggies, it will absorb some of the sauce, which could be a good thing indeed.

Ulfgeir

Hero
You might want some crunch besides the walnuts. Celery, bamboo shoots, jicama or water chestnuts, perhaps. Or some toasted seeds.

And something like radish to give it a little zing.

That said, to answer your ORIGINAL question, I don’t think rice would hurt the dish, but it may not help it that much, either, depending. If it’s stir-fried with the veggies, it will absorb some of the sauce, which could be a good thing indeed.

Never heard of Jicama, and don't think I can get hold of that. Definitively not a fan of celery (I have had a delicious root celery soup, but don't like the stem variant). the water chestnuts or bamboo shoots would make it a bit more Asian than I had intended.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Also, regarding rice and flavor...something like a turmeric butter rice or a multi-rice mix could bring more color and flavor to the party.

Zardnaar

Legend
No game night this week. Waited a couple of days and had Indian curries.

Starter pakoras with tamarind sauce

IMG_20210409_175617.jpg

Chicken Bhuna and Kadai Planner. With garlic naan.

IMG_20210409_181123.jpg

Think the Kadai is the one on the left.

4th Indian meal in the last year.

Remove ads