Cookin again

Zardnaar

Legend
The way I put it: Cooking is an art. Baking is science.

Not that baking can’t be artistic, because it clearly can, but there’s a lot more wiggle room in cooking than baking. Get your ingredient proportions off a smidge in baking, you probably have a disaster. In cooking, you might only have an interesting new variant.

I'm not that great at either but I worked at a Turkish kebab place years ago. Borrowed his marinade and learnt how to do pita

Zardnaar

Legend
First shot at making a home made Flamin Chook burger.

I used chicken breast and I coated it in a bit if olive oil, powdered chipotle, paprika and a bit if garlic before coating it in the store bought crispy coating.

Into the air fryer. Halfway through chucked in the jalapeno poppers.

Added smoked cheddar, onion, tomoto, lettuce with Sriracha mayo and sweet chilli.

IMG_20210524_173403.jpg

Pepper shaker for scale. Best homemade chicken burger I think I've done very basic as well.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I mean it looks like a good size- not too big or small- and also properly cooked. It’s clearly not overcooked, at least.

I’d def dig in!👍🏽

Zardnaar

Legend
I mean it looks like a good size- not too big or small- and also properly cooked. It’s clearly not overcooked, at least.

I’d def dig in!👍🏽

Bun came out if the bakery bin at the supermarket.

One day old but fresh enough.

Chicken just a chicken breast cut up.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Running around town today getting Mom to her MD and other errands, we stopped at Cafe Mandu again. They did not disappoint.

They were out of what we ordered the first time, so I got fried momos (dumplings) stuffed with chicken, and a couple of skewers of grilled pork. Like the steamed pork momos from the first visit, the fried ones had a nice texture, good flavor, and finished with a little “bite”.

The grilled pork skewers, OTOH...were impressive. Seasoning was not “too much” of anything, with a lingering smokiness. And they were cooked to perfection- tender & juicy, cooked through without becoming dry.

Not only is this place now permanently on my radar, I also REALLY want to try one of the bigger restaurants with a broader menu.

The ONLY downside this place has is the tiny drinks, and only one size. I needed two. But I don’t really care about that.

Zardnaar

Legend
That's the Nepalese place?

Close up of my chicken with the wrap under construction. Third attempt at it in the air fryer.

IMG_20210528_175136.jpg

Came out perfectly. Marinaded for an hour in bbq sauce, garlic, pepper, chipotle and paprika then coated.

Forgot to take anything out of the freezer so a heat and eat type kebab.
IMG_20210527_173538.jpg

Chicken popper kebab w/jalapeno.

And a steak and eggs at local place. Was good but not amazing.

IMG_20210526_180445.jpg

Last edited:

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Running around town today getting Mom to her MD and other errands, we stopped at Cafe Mandu again. They did not disappoint.

They were out of what we ordered the first time, so I got fried momos (dumplings) stuffed with chicken, and a couple of skewers of grilled pork. Like the steamed pork momos from the first visit, the fried ones had a nice texture, good flavor, and finished with a little “bite”.

The grilled pork skewers, OTOH...were impressive. Seasoning was not “too much” of anything, with a lingering smokiness. And they were cooked to perfection- tender & juicy, cooked through without becoming dry.

Not only is this place now permanently on my radar, I also REALLY want to try one of the bigger restaurants with a broader menu.

The ONLY downside this place has is the tiny drinks, and only one size. I needed two. But I don’t really care about that.
One of the places around here is an Indian/Italian restaurant run by a Nepalese family. Long story. The point is, they have momo on their menu, and we like them a lot, too. I also would love to find a Nepalese restaurant and try more.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
That's the Nepalese place?

Close up of my chicken with the wrap under construction. Third attempt at it in the air fryer.

View attachment 137473

Came out perfectly. Marinaded for an hour in bbq sauce, garlic, pepper, chipotle and paprika then coated.

Forgot to take anything out of the freezer so a heat and eat type kebab.
View attachment 137474

Chicken popper kebab w/jalapeno.

And a steak and eggs at local place. Was good but not amazing.

View attachment 137475
Cafe Mandu is that little Nepalese place, yes!

BTW, that meal you were making looks nice! Getting the feel for the air fryer?

Remove ads