Cookin again

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
One of the places around here is an Indian/Italian restaurant run by a Nepalese family. Long story. The point is, they have momo on their menu, and we like them a lot, too. I also would love to find a Nepalese restaurant and try more.
You ought to ask if they’d do other Nepalese stuff as a special order. Might have some “secret menu” type stuff going on.

There’s a couple of Chinese restaurants I’ve been a regular at that served Americanized versions of their cuisine with which we’re so familiar, but also a seperate “authentic” menu, with dishes prepared as close to original as possible over here. I’ve tried a couple, with mixed results.

Sadly, neither location exists anymore, so I haven’t been able to continue experimentin.

Zardnaar

Legend
Cafe Mandu is that little Nepalese place, yes!

BTW, that meal you were making looks nice! Getting the feel for the air fryer?

For real food yeah. I normally do heat and eat type stuff not fresh meat.

Anything look tempting Danny? The Nepalese place is Indo Nepal so they do Momo's and Curry.

IMG_20210529_164505.jpg

IMG_20210529_164429.jpg

1 NZD= 0.75 USD approx.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Interesting menu!

The momo looks similar to what we had, so I’d be tempted by those right away.

And based on what I had today, the Himalayan Venison, Sekuwa, and Mountain Goat would be top of my list to get, considering I’m trying to learn about Nepalese cuisine.

But the Indian stuff looks good too. If HALF of my meal there were decent, I’d have to come back and try something else.

Zardnaar

Legend
Interesting menu!

The momo looks similar to what we had, so I’d be tempted by those right away.

And based on what I had today, the Himalayan Venison, Sekuwa, and Mountain Goat would be top of my list to get, considering I’m trying to learn about Nepalese cuisine.

But the Indian stuff looks good too. If HALF of my meal there were decent, I’d have to come back and try something else.

My wife was iffy about the menu until she saw Kadai which is her go to for Indian food. She'll keep eating that until I try something new she likes better.

Hopefully the D&D Gamenight will try this. The burger place is spectacular but it's just a burger(waffles,pizza,wraps).

I'm tempted to try goat. I don't think I've tried goat.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I understand your wife’s choice. Even though I’m culinarily adventurous, there are restaurants where I’ve been many times, and only had a couple of different dishes...because they did them so damn well!

There was a casual Italian place that closed in 2017 that served the best damn linguine with white clam sauce I could find. The same recipe is used at their parent restaurant, a few blocks south of me, but they’re more formal and more expensive. (Not by much, though.)

And another small Italian place near me did alright with a variety of chicken dishes, but made a stellar tilapia frances and an equally great spinach and mushroom lasagna. Once I found those, I never had anything else there, Sadly, THEY closed in late 2020,

Zardnaar

Legend
Arabic place is closed sigh. Don't think they had much chance with Covid screwups but location may not have helped (4th restaurant to fail there).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Arabic place is closed sigh. Don't think they had much chance with Covid screwups but location may not have helped (4th restaurant to fail there).
Ouch.

We have a ”cursed” suite in a strip mall just south of our neighborhood. I have lost track of how many restaurants have failed in that spot in the past 23 years, but I know it has housed at least two Mexican places, and is currenly home to its FIFTH Indian restaurant.

For context, the Burger King in that strip mall closed a decade ago, and became a laundromat in 2019. And the Sonic that closed 3 years ago remains empty. A small Chinese takeout place adjacent to the cursed suite lasted 5 years, and that space is now part of a temple for some southeastern Asian sect.

But there’s a takeout only pizza place and an Asian fusion place that have been there almost the whole time, and another suite that housed 2 different Japanese places, the second of which is going strong. There’s also a @3yo BangladeshI ethnic clothing/halal grocery/restaurant I haven’t tried yet, but it smells nice. They replaced a small neighborhood gym.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Ouch.

We have a ”cursed” suite in a strip mall just south of our neighborhood. I have lost track of how many restaurants have failed in that spot in the past 23 years, but I know it has housed at least two Mexican places, and is currenly home to its FIFTH Indian restaurant.

For context, the Burger King in that strip mall closed a decade ago, and became a laundromat in 2019. And the Sonic that closed 3 years ago remains empty. A small Chinese takeout place adjacent to the cursed suite lasted 5 years, and that space is now part of a temple for some southeastern Asian sect.

But there’s a takeout only pizza place and an Asian fusion place that have been there almost the whole time, and another suite that housed 2 different Japanese places, the second of which is going strong. There’s also a @3yo BangladeshI ethnic clothing/halal grocery/restaurant I haven’t tried yet, but it smells nice. They replaced a small neighborhood gym.

This place has had Arabic, Mexican, Korean, Japanese and another place I forget over the years. Arabic place was amazing as well.

It's a decent size and right near the mall two stories. I suspect rent is high. But it's not near one of the entrances and it's off the main street so less foot traffic with high rent I suspect.

Arabics not one of the usual/popular types of food. Hence why I suspect the Nepalese place is billed as Indo-Nepalese as Indian is very common.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
In the USA, back when Iran became more theocratic, a lot of Iranians and their businesses started describing themselves as “Persian.” That continues to this day, too. i haven’t found any “Iranian” places, but definitely a few with “Persian“ cuisine.

Remove ads