Cookin again

Zardnaar

Legend
IMG_20210811_174512.jpg

Gamenight. Turkish isiander plate of food. Cheaper than McDonald's.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Soooo, I did a little leftover experiment this week… (Sorry, no pix.)

First, I made a vinaigrette of EVOO, Guilden’s Brown Mustard, and a peach balsamic vinegar I got from my local Farmers’ Market.

Then I took a pita and lightly toasted it.

I took one of my leftover pork chops (seasoned only with garlic pepper), sliced it into little strips smaller than my pinky, and warmed them in a pie pan in the toaster oven for @5 minutes at 425degF.

While that was in process, I julienned some baby spinach leaves. I also rinsed a handful of pecan halves and gave them 30sec in the microwave.

I took 1/3 to 1/2 of the vinaigrette and smeared it on the pita, almost like a pizza sauce. I topped that with the spinach and the pecans. Finally, I topped all of that with the warmed pork chunks and drizzled the remaining vinaigrette on the pork.

I folded it like a giant, thick soft taco or mutant, overstuffed gyro, took a bite, and…

Pretty good for a first try! Good enough to warrant considering another go at it.

In retrospect, I intended to include a little chive or green onion, and/or maybe some tomato, but I forgot. As it was, the sweetness, tanginess, tartness, spices and crunch all married well. The vinaigrette was very close to a honey mustard in flavor, but with a bit stronger fruit notes.

I might have also gotten a bit more flavor out of the pecans if I had warmed them with the pork. And including some smoked or oven roasted mild peppers (like Anaheims or Poblanos) might also elevate this a notch.

Zardnaar

Legend
Breakfast.other in law wanted to visit our local.

IMG_20210815_094148.jpg

Open steak sandwich with chimmichurri on top. Steak was perfectly cooked. Had no idea what chimmichurri was.

IMG_20210815_095246.jpg

Split a local delicacy the humble cheese roll.

Washed down with flat white. May have grabbed an apple danish for lunch later.

IMG_20210815_124107.jpg
Waitress pretty much knew our orders I'm the only one who tries different things much.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Chimichurri is a South American (Argentinian, in particular, as I recall) condiment composed of a variety of green herbs (typically parsley, cilantro and oregano) plus vinegar and/or lime or lemon juice in olive oil. It’s almost exclusively paired with beef, in my experience, and a good one can be pretty awesome on grilled beef.

Zardnaar

Legend
Chimichurri is a South American (Argentinian, in particular, as I recall) condiment composed of a variety of green herbs (typically parsley, cilantro and oregano) plus vinegar and/or lime or lemon juice in olive oil. It’s almost exclusively paired with beef, in my experience, and a good one can be pretty awesome on grilled beef.

Yep that's what I ate. It was tasty. Ironically spent last night talking to an Argentinian wanting to migrate here.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Yep that's what I ate. It was tasty. Ironically spent last night talking to an Argentinian wanting to migrate here.
There’s a really good South American fusion place @15-20 minutes drive from me that has mostly Tex-Mex and Argentinian as its core cuisine. When I first discovered them 20 years ago, they were on a different street, and I didn’t even notice the other stuff. I went there on occasion for a couple of years, especially during Lent- they had some great vegetarian options. Then one day, they were gone. I assumed they simply went under.

Then about 2-3 years ago, a friend started talking up the resta that had catered a work function she attended. Recognizing the name, I asked her where they were located. in an odd coincidence, they had relocated into the space formerly occupied by Slattery Rand (an Irish pub that had AMAZING food, but shuttered because the owner hated paying his rent) a year after that place closed.*

I’ve been a few times to the new location: they’re better than ever. I keep meaning to branch out, but the same couple of dishes- especially the chimichurri topped steak- I’ve had there are like sirens…

* Amusingly, you can still see some of the Irish/Celtic themed glass & wood decor.

Zardnaar

Legend
The steak was sliced. Probably about half a steak on top. It was kind of refreshing.

We have an Argentinian food truck doing some sort of sausage in bun. Things not going well over therefrom the sounds of it.

It's really not common here. Mylocal is glorified pub. Great beer, coffee, and breakfast but they have random stuff on the menu.

They've taken Madam Croquet and zataar chicken off the menu.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The steak was sliced. Probably about half a steak on top. It was kind of refreshing.

We have an Argentinian food truck doing some sort of sausage in bun. Things not going well over therefrom the sounds of it.

That sounds a lot like the Argentinian stuff I’ve tried.

Remove ads