Cookin again

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Leftovers are all but gone, now, so I’m back to “kitchening” again. My breakfast today was an Earl Campbell’s hot link sandwich (sliced open, served on toasted sourdough with Mayo & mustard) and a small salad of spinach, romaine, tomatoes, slivered anaheim peppers, and topped with an Italian vinaigrette. Dinner will be the last of the leftovers.

Going forward, Mom specifically requested I do creole roast beef sandwiches this week, and I’ve got my supplies for that.

And because we’re trying to use the stuff in our freezer, I’ll probably do some ribeyes this week. Maybe a shrimp dish, too. Red beans are a strong possibility as well, since a relative brought us some pickled pork from NOLA. I can take it or leave it, but pickled pork is Mom’s favorite meat to use in red beans.

There’s also probably going to be a faux tapas night when I serve a bunch of the stuff we’ve got just enough of to taste. Like the boudin balls my paternal aunt brought back from her last trip to Louisiana, and the empanadas from a local Argentinian place that does nothing else.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I can’t read the text as posted- I’m using the dark setting so it’s black text on blue- but following the link…

THING I LEARNED TODAY: The first edition of The Joy of Cooking, in 1931, featured on the cover an illustration of a woman fighting a dinosaur with a mop.

Says Wikipedia: The book was illustrated by Rombauer's daughter, Marion Rombauer Becker, who directed the art department at John Burroughs School. Working weekends during the winter of 1930–31, Marion designed the cover, which depicted Saint Martha of Bethany, the patron saint of cooking, slaying a dragon.

Zardnaar

Legend
Making a loaf of bread for dinner tonight. Everything is closed in lockdown in terms of takeaways but some essential stores have deep fryers and do takeaways.

IMG_20210824_115659.jpg

Comfort food. Waffle fries, chicken chips, hotdog and sour cream and sweet chilli.

Easier buying bots and pieces there eg milk vs supermarket crowds. Everyone had masks and used the Covid app to scan in.

Zardnaar

Legend
What kind of bread is it?

Basic loaf.

Swapped out half of the white flour for wholemeal. Lounge is filling with the smell of baking bread.

Remove ads