Legend
Glorious

IMG_20210824_170112.jpg

Hot fresh bread.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Tried a different Nepalese place today. Actually, Indian/Nepalese. And because we were eating on the run, we were still restricted to appetizers.

As a result, my order was probably the most “American” selection possible: deep fried everything. 😃 Got cauliflower florets, onion balls, chicken nuggets and chicken spring rolls, served with an assortment of unlabeled sauces OG green, red, and orange hues.

I didn’t have a single thing that really WOWed me, but everything was quite tasty and perfectly cooked. Definitely worth returning for a deeper dive into the menu.

There was, however, one oddity: the iced tea. I love tea. It’s one of my primary beverages, hot or cold, black, green, herbal or otherwise. So for me to say this pains me: I’m probably not having their tea again. I’m not sure if it’s a Nepalese thing or not- Café Mandu doesn’t serve iced tea- but theirs tasted…odd. The best way to describe the flavor made me think the tea had been brewed with some vegetable stock. It wasn’t like a cold soup, it was just that it finished with a savory flavor. Next time I go, I’m getting something else to drink.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I learned something today, which means my day has not been wasted. You may recall we lost a bunch of our landscaping to that ugly winter storm. One of the things we talked about doing was planting certain culinary shrubs in front (IOW, out of our pets’ reach), including some kind(s) of peppers. But we haven’t finalized anything yet, and might not do anything until 2022.

HOWEVER, as I left the house today, I noticed he gardener kneeling by one of our surviving shrubs. He told me it was a wild pepper bush, and he was harvesting a small glass’ worth of its tiny fruit. They’re slightly pointed, red or green, and no bigger than an English pea or caper berry. He said they’re hotter than habaneros.

“Try one!”, he said.

So I picked one, rubbed it off, and popped it into my mouth. He wasn’t kidding! I coughed a little and had a mild bout of hiccups lasting a few minutes.

To be clear, the tiny pepper wasn’t hotter than a WHOLE habanero, but the tiny berry I consumed was probably hotter than a similar volume of habanero.

Here are some pix (CC-sized wallet rosary for scale)

AePoaS4.jpg

FmXNfIz.jpg

TMB1iAv.jpg

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Someone online pointed me in the right direction: they’re chili pequin. According to further research, they’re apparently a variant of the same pepper that produces cayenne, they’re the state pepper of Texas, and are highly desired in Mexico.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
Someone online pointed me in the right direction: they’re chili pequin. According to further research, they’re apparently a variant of the same pepper that produces cayenne, they’re the state pepper of Texas, and are highly desired in Mexico.
Huh. They're available dry through Penzey's, and IIRC the hottest dried peppers they sell.

Zardnaar

Legend
New levels of deviancy. New chip flavours.

IMG_20210826_125112.jpg

Gin, lemon, and thyme
Margarita Salsa
Bourbon BBQ
The gin ones were surprisingly good, BBQ ones ok, Salsa meh.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases