Cookin again

Zardnaar

Legend
In Louisiana, we make chocolate eclairs with chocolate flavored filling.

And shortly pre-pandemic, I had stumbled on an asian-owned bakery that filled theirs with whatever you wanted, because they didn’t fill them until they were ordered. Kinda nifty, IMHO.

That's genius. A cafe here sells donuts and you pick your flavour.

It turns up in a syringe type thing and you can inject your donut yourself.

Bit of a gimmick but they don't taste half bad either and it's a nice cafe as well.

Would eat all of these.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Wife over indulged in cider so we got burgers delivered.

Ordered the cheesy bro with egg and pineapple. They added bacon or which was drunk and added it anyway. And extra chips so we had three lots of them.

Bad photo.

IMG_20210911_192044.jpg

Cheesy bro+

Burger was awesome chips were great as well. Arrived a lot hotter than most deliveries or even pick up.

Zardnaar

Legend
Several classic kiwi foods. Americans expats did a reasonable job on the dip and lolly cake.

Marmite on Weet Bix is a thing.

And they've discovered Whittaker's chocolate and Kapiti ice cream. Kapiti was that plum one I posted a while ago.

Last edited:

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Attempt number one at Finnish Pulla bread. Everything seemed to go well... but it ended up doughy (more baking won't help).

Any thought's on what causes that?

One question I had is that in the recipe it starts with dissolving the yeast in the water and then adding the other wet (eggs, butter, scalded milk) and dry (flour, sugar, cardamom) ingredients to it. Would you follow the instructions on the yeast and put the sugar in it when dissolving? Or is it supposed to not do anything until the other dry ingredients (including sugar) start getting mixed in?

Second is wondering if the big baking sheet cut down oven air flow too much

IMG_20210911_175550.jpg

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Wish I could help, but I’m not much of a baker.

I do know, however, that cooking times and temps can vary by elevation and humidity, especially with baked goods.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Wish I could help, but I’m not much of a baker.

I do know, however, that cooking times and temps can vary by elevation and humidity, especially with baked goods.
And apparently part of the oven. One of the three loaves came out just fine on checking it this am. I wish I knew which one it was in terms of when it was shaped (rolled and braided).

IMG_20210912_095416.jpg

Last edited:

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
And apparently part of the oven. One of the three loaves came out just fine on checking it this am. I wish I knew which one it was in terms of when it was shaped (rolled and braided).
If where they are in the oven seems to matter that much, you can always use an oven thermometer to find where the irregularities are. Then at least you'll know, even if it's not really a fixable problem.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
This was tonight’s dinner:

A 7.3lb rib roast

Diced Yukon Golds with garlic, yellow & green onions, rosemary, chives, black pepper, parsley, thyme, some powdered chicken bouillon, butter, EVOO

Plated with a dollop of creamy horseradish, a mini corn on the cob & green salad.

Washed down with Kirin Ichiban.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases