Cookin again

Zardnaar

Legend
Not a fan of sweet potatoes, but mom loves them. If she ever goes to NZ, I’ll point out the name change.

Those cheese rolls, though? Looks like a pn “improved“ frilled cheese sandwich with a different presentation. I’d be al over that!

There's several types but they're Polynesian sweet potato. No idea what the difference from US ones are. Kumura quite good in roast veggie salads (tomorrow nights plan).

That towns very close to Southland which is where they come from. Further north you go the rarer they become.

Towns like that are good places to find ye olde traditional tearioms vs xafee as the city ones gave become a bit hipster.

If you're after old school pies, baking, fish and chips etc there's where you find them.

Or you might find a random Indonesian fish and chip shop in a town of 400 people go figure.

Zardnaar

Legend
Any wine or cider recipes?

IMG_20211224_152802.jpg

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I have a recipe for cider:

Trav's Honeywine
8 pounds meadowfoam honey (plus more for gravity adjustment)
3 quarts frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
2 teaspoons yeast nutrient
1/2 teaspoon yeast energizer
Wyeast WY4632 Dry Mead Yeast

In a boil kettle, combine the honey and apple juice concentrate with enough water to make 5 gallons. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, skimming any foam that appears. Remove from heat. Dissolve the yeast nutrient and yeast engergizer in a cup of boiling water, and add to the kettle. Check the gravity of the must, and add more water or more honey as needed to get a specific gravity of 1.092 (target 13% ABV).

Pour the hot must into an 8-gallon glass carboy, attach an airlock, and let it rest overnight or until it has cooled to 70 degrees F or less. Aerate the must for 2 minutes. Smack the yeast according to the package instructions, and add to the carboy. Attach the airlock, and allow to ferment for 2-6 weeks or until it stops bubbling.

Clarify with sparkoloid (follow the instructions on the package), and either keg or bottle. Makes 5 gallons of dry cyser.

Zardnaar

Legend
I have a recipe for cider:

Trav's Honeywine
8 pounds meadowfoam honey (plus more for gravity adjustment)
3 quarts frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
2 teaspoons yeast nutrient
1/2 teaspoon yeast energizer
Wyeast WY4632 Dry Mead Yeast

In a boil kettle, combine the honey and apple juice concentrate with enough water to make 5 gallons. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, skimming any foam that appears. Remove from heat. Dissolve the yeast nutrient and yeast engergizer in a cup of boiling water, and add to the kettle. Check the gravity of the must, and add more water or more honey as needed to get a specific gravity of 1.092 (target 13% ABV).

Pour the hot must into an 8-gallon glass carboy, attach an airlock, and let it rest overnight or until it has cooled to 70 degrees F or less. Aerate the must for 2 minutes. Smack the yeast according to the package instructions, and add to the carboy. Attach the airlock, and allow to ferment for 2-6 weeks or until it stops bubbling.

Clarify with sparkoloid (follow the instructions on the package), and either keg or bottle. Makes 5 gallons of dry cyser.

Damn that's like 18 litres or so.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Helped mom with the seven layer brownies and fruit cake bars earlier this week, and my other half.helped her with the sugar cookies and spritz cookies. The fudge, Russian tea cake cookies, and white chocolate pretzels were already made when we got here. My dad did the fudge this year and was a bit down on how it came out... but it was still really good.

For Christmas eve dinner, I made the strawberry pretzel salad today so it can set, and am doing the standing rib roast and mashed potatoes for tomorrow.

Zardnaar

Legend
Helped mom with the seven layer brownies and fruit cake bars earlier this week, and my other half.helped her with the sugar cookies and spritz cookies. The fudge, Russian tea cake cookies, and white chocolate pretzels were already made when we got here. My dad did the fudge this year and was a bit down on how it came out... but it was still really good.

For Christmas eve dinner, I made the strawberry pretzel salad today so it can set, and am doing the standing rib roast and mashed potatoes for tomorrow.

Our ones kind of potluck.
Breakfast bbq tomorrow then dinner skipping lunch.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
The annual Christmas-eve feast. Buffet style this year. Only about a half hour behind schedule :)

Standing Ribroast and Grilled Chicken, with salad and rolls in the background.
IMG_20211224_174615.jpg

Sweet potato casserole and cheesy broccoli casserole
IMG_20211224_174627.jpg

Mashed potatoes and strawberry pretzel salad
IMG_20211224_174631.jpg

Candy and cookies
IMG_20211224_184915.jpg

and Grasshopper Pie
IMG_20211224_185455.jpg

Last edited:

Remove ads