Cookin again

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Ours for Christmas was $14.99/pound (three ribs at just under 8 pounds). $5.99 is a super price!

The ribs weren't pre-cut off and tied back back in?
I don’t think so. I’ve never had that service happen before. And it didn’t fall apart when I put it into the pan in the first place. 🤷‍♂️

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Food I made & served for Christmas dinner

UWHAMiD.jpg

Seven Layer Salad

J4hR7qo.jpg

Turkey Carciofi Casserole

w8wvsPQ.jpg

Stuffed Hot Sausage & Ground Beef Meatloaf with tomato sauce

The salad is an old family recipe, with spinach, iceberg lettuce, water chestnuts, green onions, celery, peas and bacon with a topping of Mayo & sour cream, sprinkled with paprika.

We tried turning chicken carciofi into a casserole, subbing turkey meat for the chicken cutlets. The sauce consisted of butter, EVOO, pasta water, lemon juice, Sauvignon blanc, and shredded Parmesano reggiano. Mixing the cheese into the hot liquid melted it, thickening the sauce and giving the whole dish a subtle cheesiness, which played well with the artichokes and capers.

The surprise hit was the meatloaf, though. I took it from the oven and poured its sauce on it as it rested, then hit the shower to de-funkify myself. By the time I came back to the kitchen, most of the guests had arrived and had hit it HARD. That picture was taken as I returned…they had eaten approximately 2.5lbs of it in the few minutes it took for me to make myself presentable. By the evening’s end, all that remained was a chunk about the size of 2 small adult fists. Maybe half a pound?

I used:
1lb 80/20 ground meat
2lbs Louisiana hot sausage (homemade from old family commercial recipe)
3 jumbo eggs
Half a can of panko
About .75lbs of sliced Boar’s Head Black Forest ham
One ball of mozzarella from the Mozzarella Cheese company

The sauce was a jar of Dave’s Gourmet red sauce, jazzed up with diced tomatoes, parsley and chives.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Tonight’s dinner- my first try at a reverse-seared ribeye roast PLUS the mushrooms I served with it.

TuGlEEI.jpg

Yw14B1B.jpg

IaBn1gr.jpg

We got the ribeye roast for the reduced price of about $5.50/lb with other purchases, 1 per customer. There were only 2 left, both just over 11lbs. My father is lamenting his fate.

Zardnaar

Legend
Gotta lose some weight been doing some epic walks lately.
IMG_20220103_094749.jpg

Bought some low salt/fat vegetarian patties.

Any experience with stuff like this anyone?

So I can do this in April.

Remove ads