Cookin again

Zardnaar

Legend
Today was my maternal aunt’s birthday, and her youngest son’s birthday was last week. So I took the pair of them out to a seafood place (of her choosing) to celebrate.

(No pix taken.)

We had a good meal and a good time. The last time I was in that place, I had their chargrilled oysters for the first time, and repeated that experience tonight. Then I had some clam chowder and- because @Zardnaar has been making me hungry- some fish & chips. I doubt theyre even in the same ballpark, quality wise, as what HE gets, but I was happy. Along with the fries, I had some sautéed/wilted garlic spinach.

My aunt also had the oysters- no surprise, because she’s the one who tipped me off to how good they were at this place- and a crab & shrimp stuffed flounder. Her sides were the menu standard mashed potatoes and green beans.

My cousin decided to be adventurous for once. Initially, he was going to have a shrimp po’boy. But when it came time to order, he decided to have a bowl of their crab bisque and the same entree as his mom. However, instead of the standard sides, he subbed a cup of gumbo for the green beans. 🤣

Most places here make average fish and chips. They're also do subjective.

Cousin ordered the blue cod it was nice enough but that village shop blows it out of the water. That place makes top ten in the country lists.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Most places here make average fish and chips. They're also do subjective.

Cousin ordered the blue cod it was nice enough but that village shop blows it out of the water. That place makes top ten in the country lists.
Let’s be brutally honest, here: the average quality of fish in north central Texas vs what is available in an island nation is going to be VERY different.

Zardnaar

Legend
Let’s be brutally honest, here: the average quality of fish in north central Texas vs what is available in an island nation is going to be VERY different.

Even here it's noticible inland. Those great ones in the tiny villages source it from local fishermen. I think there's two boats in said villages.

Even here you have cheap and cheerful (fish and chip shop), restaurant, dedicated seafood restaurant and those village type places.

That village also has a food truck place doing abalone and whitebait patties.

Zardnaar

Legend
Went to the farmers market for a quick look around. We're going back but a lot more stuff than anticipated. Several food trucks with two if my favorites. Chinese crepes and Syrian Saj (kinda like a wrap).

@Dannyalcatraz anything appeal?

IMG_20220122_092126.jpg

IMG_20220122_092323.jpg

Probably gonna go with a lamb Saj.

IMG_20220122_094610.jpg

Flat white and cheese rolls new place we tried. Best I've found in town and they gave an attached hipster food place.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I probably would have walked away with a jar of the cheese and the shatta to try, if nothing else.

If I were eating, the lamb or the mohamarh would have been strong options.

Remove ads